2011 Taco TRD with AT Flipac vs 2011 4runner TE with RTT

1000rwhp

Hey guys, found this site one day and now I can't get my mind off building an expo rig. Basically I've narrowed it down to these two. Not planning on doing a whole lot: 3 inch or smaller lift, some slightly bigger AT tires, bumper/winch, sliders, aux lights, and maybe a few smaller things. I just can't decide which setup I like better and was hoping the knowledgeable community here could give me their 2 cents. Oh and its gonna be my
DD and I'm planning on putting a lot of miles on the rig, so gas mileage and road manners are a factor( even though there really isn't much difference between the two)

Thanks for your input, so many drool worthy rigs on this sitehttp://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/images/smilies/Wow1.gif

Valkiera

Observer
Welcome!

I'll start off with you need to tell everyone a bit more. Things like where will you be taking this when off road, how many people will this rig need to support. Will you have family along, pets... a few more details with help others, help you :)

Have you already driven either of these? I tried the Tacoma, FJ Cruiser and 4 Runner before I decided, liked the Tacoma best.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I'm planning on putting a lot of miles on the rig, so gas mileage and road manners are a factor( even though there really isn't much difference between the two)

I haven't driven the new 4runners but I would argue there is a lot of difference in road manners between the 2nd gen tacomas and 4th gen runners...
To me the 4 runner makes a much better DD...smoother...tighter...
My tacoma drives like a truck...no complaints...great ride but definitely not as solid feeling and smooth as the 4 runner...
And after just a mild lift/tires/winch bumper mileage went down the drain with my tacoma...I get 15mpg now...just FYI and something to consider if you really are concerned with mileage...I was pushing 20mpg stock...

Good luck with the search...wish I was searching for a new truck:)

joneseyyy

Explorer
I am obviously biased as a 5th gen 4runner Trail Edition owner, but the 4runner is working out great for me as both my DD and weekend adventure rig. If I were you I'd drive them back to back. I think you'll like the features and versatility of the 4runner. Feel free to ask any specific questions.

mfeuer86

I have a 2003 Tacoma with a Wildernest topper. Not that same as the 2nd gen Tacomas, but I do love have the pop up topper. We have a 98 4runner as well, but its not as convenient with camping and mountain biking and other muddy activities. I also think the 03 Tacoma drives better off road than the 98 4runner.

Reata Rover

Adventurer
I am obviously biased as a 5th gen 4runner Trail Edition owner, but the 4runner is working out great for me as both my DD and weekend adventure rig. If I were you I'd drive them back to back. I think you'll like the features and versatility of the 4runner. Feel free to ask any specific questions.

Joneseyyy, we can take this offline or to a PM conversation, but I have the same truck you do. Right now I am bone stock except for my Engle fridge in the back. I am getting ready to go with and upsized tire similar to yours, an improved suspension, (not Icon), Gobi roof rack, Rocky Road sliders, and a front bumper. I am curious to know what impact your improvements had on your MPG. Can you let us know?

Thanks

joneseyyy

Explorer
I don't have the rack or lift installed yet, but I am running duratracs in the stock size. And am currently getting about 16-17 mpg driving like all the other maniacs in the city, and about 21 mpg on the highway at 65-70 mph.

As you know, mileage drops off pretty steep after 65 or so. I'll update in 2 weeks or so when the rack and lift/285's are on, but I am expecting to lose about 2 mpg with the bigger, heavier tires and increased wind resistance (in-line with what the other lifted 5th gen guys on t4r.org are getting).

On that note, I can't hardly wait for all of the parts to come in!:wings:

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
What do you plan to do with your future rig? How often do you forsee getting out? Both are great platforms. There is a considerable difference in price. Which options are you considering for each vehicle to compare?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77