2015 JKUR Rear Storage

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
I've seen a lot of rear storage solutions for JKU's. My previous JKUR had a Tuffy drawer in the rear, and while I was happy with it at the time, it's not something that would suit my current needs. I especially like the refrigerator sliding shelf contraption, but not the price tag for said fridge, or for the storage compartment that holds it. So, I'm left to coming up with my own solution.

Here's a shot of the rear of my JKUR with my Yeti 65.

Jeep & Yeti.JPG

If I move the cooler towards the tailgate, I'd loose the use of the hidden compartment underneath that spot, which is why it's in the position it's in. The height of the cooler is lower than the distance from the floor to the hardtop connection points on the body. So, my thought is to get a piece of wood, 62" x 16". I'll then just trim it up to make it fit real nice and it will connect right where the hardtop connects to the body (two points on each side). Of course, I would need four screws that are longer than the stock ones they'll be replacing. The self will not stick out past the front of the cooler.

Doing that will allow me way to put things on top of the shelf rather than on top of the cooler, which means I won't have to move things off the cooler to get something out...something that bothered me this past summer.

A downside is I'll have to move whatever is stored between the cooler and the tailgate so I can pull the cooler out to access it. I don't really see a fix for that. However, if nothing is on the shelf covering the cooler, then I can put whatever is in front of the cooler on top of the shelf and then slide the cooler towards me.

Another downside is the cooler is quite heavy once it's loaded with ice, drinks, and food, so sliding it forward isn't going to be done with ease. So, I'm thinking of putting it on some rails (one on each side). Given the width of the cooler, the rails can extend from the rear of the cooler to the tailgate opening without interfering with access to the hidden compartment.

I'm probably the last person on Earth who would ever be called a "fab" guy, as in fabricate. If it's a part that comes with instructions, I can generally put it on my Jeep. If it's something needing fabrication, no matter how simple it may seem to others, I'm lost. So, I could use a little help from those of you with more talent than I have.

What would you all recommend I build this out of? Would simple 1/2" plywood suffice, or would that severely limit the amount of weight I could put on the self without it cracking?

I'd rather not leave the shelf bare, so I was thinking of lining it with my Jeep carpet that I pulled out when I had the interior shot with Line-X. Or, perhaps I could line it with the same stuff I line my toolbox drawers with (sort of rubbery material with a grip to it). Would that make more sense? Am thinking using that stuff would keep whatever I put on the shelf less likely to slide around (although I'll still put some sort of loops on there to use with tie-down straps). It would also allow me to sell the Jeep carpet rather than cutting it up. Is that even a thing? Are Jeep carpets in demand enough to be sold?

Also, anyone have a link to the rails I should? And, how would I attach the rails to the tub? Do I just drill through it and use a screw and washer and nut combination on the underside of the tub?

Considering my lack of experience in this sort of thing, I'm probably leaving something out, so feel free to chime in and point out anything I've overlooked.

Last edited:

tarditi

Explorer
I've seen lots of great storage ideas in several forums and pintrest boards.

One idea that may help is something like a metal basket, suspended from the sport bars, that has a hinge on the forward side to allow it to be lifted to access the cooler underneath.
Frankly, I would only store "last resort" type items in the smuggler's box and not worry too much about ready access (things like jumper cables, tire repair, etc.) and keep the things you'll need readily more handy in the cabin. The space isn't really all that impressive to engineer a wildly complicated mechanism to access it IMHO.

FWIW, I struggled and struggled with the decision, but once I bought an ARB50 I've never once regretted it. Game. Changer.
I now have this config: ARB in the back (longitudinally, driver side), Dosko Campmate (longitudinally, pass side - storage only, needs to be removed for use), and pile the rest of the stuff on top of that. My hitch carrier is being replaced with a Gobi this spring, so the tent and other bins & boxes will go topside.

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
True...not as though I'll be putting any often-used items in the hidden compartment area. I was thinking recovery gear, and was just not looking forward to lifting that very heavy (when loaded) cooler out to get at the straps and what-not. Or, having to reach over the rear seat or behind the cooler to get at anything stored behind the cooler if I were to put the cooler closer to the tailgate opening.

I used to have an Engel refrigerator, and it was great, but I like the Yeti better. I like to take a lot of drinks with me, and the cooler holds more than the refrigerator. Of course, I've been living in the south where it's blazing hot about 7 months of the year, so I was in constant need of cold drinks. But once I move to Indianapolis next week, perhaps that will change things.

The shelf I want to make to go on top of the cooler will be inexpensive, so I think I'll get to that point, see how it comes out and how functional it is, then go from there. I could loop a strap around the cooler and pull on that to get the cooler closer to me when standing at the tailgate, then push it back into place once done. It won't be as ease as if the cooler were to sit on slides, but it would give me an idea of the functionality of the space and how I'm designing it.

G.O.A.T

To give you some ideas, here is a shelf unit I just made to provide more storage. I'm planning on having the cooler on the left and the dog on the right and gear underneath. 20151003_141629.jpg20151003_190058.jpg

jeepovich

Explorer
I made a platform for about $45. It allows me to use factory cubby ( store big size tools, foldable shovel and such). Under the platform I store a foldable table and chairs. There is still plenty of room for any other long/flat items. In the "dead zone" where the rear seats hang over the platform ( between the Black Boxes and rear seat back) I have a fuse box and Puma air compressor with tank.
IMG_20140629_123108_437.jpg
IMG_20140629_123733_657.jpg
IMG_20140629_141043_658.jpg

lysol

Explorer
I made a platform for about $45. It allows me to use factory cubby ( store big size tools, foldable shovel and such). Under the platform I store a foldable table and chairs. There is still plenty of room for any other long/flat items. In the "dead zone" where the rear seats hang over the platform ( between the Black Boxes and rear seat back) I have a fuse box and Puma air compressor with tank.
View attachment 309676
View attachment 309677
View attachment 309678

Do you have a build thread or something explaining how you secured the false floor?

G.O.A.T

It's an aluminum frame with a poly-carbonate top. Figured i'd try something a little different and it allows me to see what i've got stored underneath in the back. Also made an aluminum ramp that gets stored up and out of the way in the frame for the dog. 20151005_151056.jpg
It doubles as a table.20151005_151204.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Great idea on the ramp/table!
Very cool!
I did something similar (although not near as cool :beer:).
The back seats in this JKU are removed, added a fridge, and then built a raised floor from aluminum.
The left rear seat can be reinstalled by simply removing the panel over that area if needed.

Attachments

• Water-jug-mounted.jpg
    Water-jug-mounted.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 22

jeepovich

Explorer
Do you have a build thread or something explaining how you secured the false floor?

It is super simple. I made 4 brackets. At the rear seats the brackets are attached to rear seat mounts (stud, rear seat bracket, my bracket and tightened with a 19mm nut). At the tail gate (you can see 2 of them in the pics) the brackets are attached to the floor by using bolt holes for factory tie downs. I replaced the 10mm factory bolts with higher grade and length bolts.

IndyRubicon

Globetrotter
Some great DIY storage ideas there! I got up to Indy two days ago and it's obvious how much I underestimated what all would need to be done upon my arrival...been going almost non-stop since I got here. Hopefully some time will free up for me next month and I can get to work on my storage plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad