2016 Chevrolet Colorado Diesel: First Drive 30+ MPG HWY says GM....

E.Roy

Aspiring Explorer
I am excited about these trucks and not just because of the new diesel option (which is huge). I just had a chance to look over the rear suspension and even the chassis is well done and looks to have a lot of potential stock for a capable off road platform. The frame is boxed at the rear unlike the Tacoma, the rear leaf springs look HD, are nicely arched and have plastic slide pads. I came away thinking these are high quality trucks. Price for a Crew cab short bed Z71 Colorado V6 is an affordable $36k.

STANG302

Observer
We'll see.

All I know is why buy a smaller truck. When my Ram 1500 ecodiesel can hit 25 back and forth to work, and 29 highway (best I've gotten so far)!!!

fike

Adventurer
When is it available for purchase? It looks like an ideal overlander platform for some moderate-level offroad.

E.Roy

Aspiring Explorer
The newer full size Dodges and Fords are very large, great for certain people and tasks, but not necessary for every person or use though. I know what Stang302 is saying, because with my crusty old Dodge, I thought the same thing. The only penalty for going big is the heavy feel of the vehicle. As a daily driver, I would rather have the lighter handling of the mid size trucks. It makes for a cool middle ground in vehicle dynamics, a sporty vehicle that can go anywhere, and do a lot of jobs.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Having posting issues. Agreed if a full size worked for me I'd have one already. I've been using my Subarus as trucks for yrs because I can find parking when I need to park. The colorado/canyon has my interest because I wouldn't be impacting my parking options greatly, get the range/mileage, get a nice quiet interior and a huge bump in load hauling ability. Price doesn't bother me any good 4-5star rated midsized SUV with nice interior and some load ability is pushing 40k either way.

If I wanted lots of modification ability Jeep and Taco or 4runner are the way to go. I dont see my self doing that. Maybe a mild lift on a very premium kit like Icon full stage 4, for a really good ride and load capability on slightly larger tires over stock, but nothing like a Jeep runnung 35's.

ChevyPit

Observer
Hi, I'm from Guatemala.
We have been getting the Colorado Diesel since beginning of 2015. It is basically the same as the Isuzu D-max, which has been an outstanding truck here since it arrive in the market about 10 years ago. The Colorado it's the same as the 2nd generation of D-max.
A friend bought his 2016 colorado Z71 diesel about 6 months ago. I have driven it a couple of times, and it's a wonderfull truck. He says it gets him around 27 mpg on combined driving. He doesn't do offroading, so no input on that side. One interesting thing: the one we get here has 197HP, and my friend payed $31,000 for the fully loaded (leather, Z71, automatic, etc.)
https://www.chevrolet.com.gt/vehiculos/informacion_vehiculo/9/4/Colorado

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Hi, I'm from Guatemala.
We have been getting the Colorado Diesel since beginning of 2015. It is basically the same as the Isuzu D-max, which has been an outstanding truck here since it arrive in the market about 10 years ago. The Colorado it's the same as the 2nd generation of D-max.
A friend bought his 2016 colorado Z71 diesel about 6 months ago. I have driven it a couple of times, and it's a wonderfull truck. He says it gets him around 27 mpg on combined driving. He doesn't do offroading, so no input on that side. One interesting thing: the one we get here has 197HP, and my friend payed $31,000 for the fully loaded (leather, Z71, automatic, etc.)
https://www.chevrolet.com.gt/vehiculos/informacion_vehiculo/9/4/Colorado

A team member at work is in Latin America has one also. Its very similar body wise to the North America one we have in the states. But GM did lots of reworking of mechanicals to clean it up and quiet it down for the Soft "Americans" ;-) Ha.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
One of these with some AT tires and a flip-pac would be fantastic.

Initially I would see us putting a nice clean cap on it and using it like we use the Subaru today which tows the Lifetime Tent trailer when we go camping, or no trailer on road trips to see family. Few yrs down the road I can see my self putting a flatbed FWC camper on it and it being the dad / mom escape pod. If kids go we simply take the Life Time Tent trailer with us.

Feileod

Observer
I have over 3K mile on my 2016 Duramax Z71 and routinely avg 27mpg commuting through hill county. I have seen it as high as 31mpg and as low as 24mpg (putting around town). I have been really pleased with my purchase especially coming from a 16yr old Jeep TJ that was lucky to see 18mpg down hill with the wind at its back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad