2016 Toyota TRD Off-Road Videos - Questions and Review

UncleJimmy

(I am reposting this from another forum here so that I can expand the audience and hopefully get useful feedback).

Here's my video review of my new truck that shows the articulation and the truck managing a hump in the trail.

https://youtu.be/5U9woCkW0CA

I have a few questions: After considering the TRD Pro and various re-buildable suspension systems, I am looking to upgrade to an OME suspension kit and I have researched this extensively, but I don't want the amount of lift (over 3") that most are reporting for their OME lifts. I am planning on adding 250+ lbs. to the nose with a bumper and winch. I am planning on using the 612 which should net about 2.5" of lift including the added weight.

The reason I am not looking to go with the recommended HD 613 is because I am concerned that the 3.5-4" of lift is too much. Expedition Portal writers recommend about a 2.5" lift and even Toyota doesn't recommend over 3". I am building an expedition type vehicle and I want capability, reliability and durability out on the trails and I am concerned about the CV angles as well as the COG with the higher lifts and larger tires. The video shows the side angle, and if I get too much lift, the center of gravity will be too high and it may roll, but I need enough to clear those humps. I'm planning on running 33" tires which is about an inch or so larger than the stock TRD tires.

Lastly, I have read good things about the ARB/OME Dakar leaf springs. If anyone wants to comment on the ride and performance, that would be appreciated.

I would appreciate any feedback/recommendations on if this sounds like a good set-up or if you would modify it given my intended use.

***REVIEW*** 2016 Tundra TRD - Stock - Non-FF

I drove the SR5 over forrest roads for three days as a comparison, and the TRD suspension/tires/skid-plates are a huge upgrade. I drove on dirt-roads and on hilly, rocky, wet, muddy, sandy mountain trails, creek crossings, and it handled them really well. The suspension was firm, controllable and predictable, yet rode very nice on the road (especially with these tires) which is slightly firmer than the stock ride which is a bit floaty. Additionally, cornering is improved over stock with less roll. The tires don't look very aggressive, but they stuck like glue in all the above conditions; never lost traction and get good MPG and deliver a nice street ride. I went through sharp rocky areas with no airing down and had no problems. The skid-plates got some dings but protected the front end and gas tank well. Also, as a bonus it has a skid plate on the transfer case which also had some dings but protected it well. Now I don't think they would hold up for pre-running or hard-core rock-climbing, but for this type of off-road, they work. For the average hunter/camper/light-to-moderate off-road use, I think this is a good value from Toyota and significantly better than the SR5 without the TRD package.

MPG's were 17-19 HWY depending on speed. I can average 15-17 city depending on the ratio of city to HWY IF I keep the revs below 1600-1800 RPM which is doable (I suspect the Michelins help). It drops quickly (10-13 mpg) if you put your foot on it.

I will be upgrading the suspension as mentioned above because I want just a tad more capability in terms of height (approach/departure/break-over angles) and the ability to handle a heavy bumper and winch with expedition gear.

Eric7576

Howdy there...and Happy New Year! Glad to hear you are happy with your Tundra. I bought a 2015 Crewmax TRD and LOVE IT!!! I put a LEER camper shell on it which made picking a suspension lift a little tricky (since most rated for a stock truck). I put the Dakar leaf pack on the back and adjustable bilstein 5100's up front. I LOVE IT and it rides amazing. Took a ski trip to Telluride recently with the truck loaded with people and a bunch of stuff. It rode fantastic and I honestly couldn't be happier. The only question is that without a camper shell it will raise the rear end of your truck more than it did mine. Hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
-Eric

eaneumann

Adventurer
Nice truck! I stressed about the suspension for months. Was torn between Icon and King. I went with the Kings front and rear with Camburg arms up front. I will have a custom Deaver spring made for the rear once I decide how much weight I will be carrying in the rear. For now the OEM leaf pack has done alright
83c125df8e76f9fd24371fa2fbd63cc2.jpg
5ec786b1f07a8317ceeb8546c236fddb.jpg
4c110ec45af1cf09774240b642091df0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal