2022 Rover Off Road Custom Built Toy Hauler Trailer

High Water

Baja Bliss
For Sale: 2022 Rover Off Road Custom Built Toy Hauler Trailer

Ext 2.jpg

Int Layout 1.jpg

Price: Was $75,000. Reduced to $68,000. Reasonable offers will be considered.
Google Drive for all photos and videos: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Qo-icHm8tzGcbFFaSIDg5x6Zth5zs_cC?usp=sharing

We put a great deal of effort in finding a commercially available toy hauler trailer that met our specific requirements for a winter of fun exploring in Baja California South, Mexico: A garage large enough to hold two motorcycles plus gear, overall length less than 26’, living space separate from the garage, abundant solar and lithium batteries, 12v-to-120v inverter, 120v mini split air conditioning and diesel heat, and most importantly, QUALITY construction.

We could not find a toy hauler that met our requirements, so we designed our own. Then we found the perfect company to commission the custom design build. This custom-built toy hauler was built by Rover Off Road, a division of Charmac Trailers, in Twin Falls, ID. The trailer was completed by a very competent team in July 2022 and we have been very happy with the construction quality, design and found the systems functionality have been flawless. We have just spent the past winter in Baja California exploring the trails on our motorcycles using the trailer as a basecamp. The boondocking self-sufficiency of this trailer worked perfectly. The all-aluminum insulated structure is light weight, very durable, and no rust or water damage can occur. The only reason we are selling this is due to a change of travel style for us.

Garage
The garage contains most of the mechanical system for the trailer’s self-sufficiency. The minimum required garage dimensions were the starting point of the entire trailer layout. The garage floor is behind the rear axle, so it is dropped 7” below the structural frame rails. The garage can be used for an assortment of toys beyond motorcycles including mountain bikes, a quad, inflatable SUP/Kayaks. Check the dimensions below to determine if your favorite toys will fit.

Wall dimensions: length 8’10” x width: 7’4”
Floor to ceiling: 5’7”
Flat floor dimensions: length 8’ x width 5’4”
Garage opening height: 5’3”

Water Systems
Gray water: 35 gal
Fresh water: 60 gal
Black water: None, separating composting toilet, more information in the “Wet Bath” section
Water filtration: Three stage system. 5 micron + 1 micron + 12v UV light for whole house potable water. With an easy switch of ball valves, the water going into the tank can be run through the filtration system for double filtration and UV.
Water distribution: Sink, indoor shower, outdoor shower
Water tank can be filled via a pressurized connection or a gravity fill.
Hot water: Elwell Timberline hydronic diesel fueled hot air and endless hot water combo LINK

Air Conditioning & Heating
Mini split high efficiency air conditioner heat pump, Mitsubishi Electric Trane model NTXSMT12A111AA. 18 SEER, 10 HSPF efficiency, Inverter-driven compressor maximizes energy savings by using only the energy needed to perfectly cool or heat. LINK

Hot water and hot air: Elwell Timberline hydronic diesel fueled hot air and endless hot water combo. The garage is also heated to protect the batteries from freezing temperatures. LINK

Electrical
1200 watts solar generation via 12 Renogy 100 watt panels LINK
600 Amp hours Lithium (LiFePo) via 6 x 100 amp hour Expion360 batteries LINK
Victron Multiplus 3000 120v inverter and shore power charger LINK
Victron Cerbo GX multi-input controller LINK
Victron GX Touch 50 color LCD display LINK
Victron Smart Shunt LINK
Victron Solar Charge Controller MPPT 150 I 85 LINK
Victron system monitoring via VictronConnect Bluetooth app
Manual battery disconnect switch
30-amp shore power connection. The 30 amp can be adapted to a 20-amp and the current limited via the Victron controls. This is very handy in many low-power situations.
LED lighting throughout the trailer
LED flood lights, front rear, and side
Multiple 120v and USB sockets

Kitchen/Dinette
Passenger side galley across from the 4-seat dinette
Sink: Dometic VA8000 square sink with glass cover LINK
Cooktop: True Induction double burner cook top LINK
Fridge-Freezer: Dometic 120v AC or 12/24v DC compressor fridge CRX110 LINK
Storage: Custom-built cabinets are welded and painted aluminum framed with simulated bamboo laminate doors and full-length piano hinges with Southco latches and adjustable shelves.
Windows: EuroVision double acrylic with screens and blackout blinds, distributed by Tern Overland as Arctic Tern brand LINK
Countertop and Tabletop: Maple butcher block

Wet Bath
Shower: Thermostatically controlled so no blast of hot or cold water. The spacious shower is the best we have had in any RV.
Toilet: Separating toilet is a C-head with a 12v continuous vent fan. The trailer can be sold with or without the toilet. It is very easy to remove and install a unit of your choice.
Ventilation: Dometic FanTastic Vent Fan 7350, remote control, reversing, rain sensor LINK

Sleeping Area
Queen size mattress with side cabinets (side cabinets are easily removable if a king size mattress is desired)
Bed area height clearance = 35”
Windows: EuroVision double acrylic with screens and blackout blinds, distributed by Tern Overland as Arctic Tern brand LINK
Ventilation: Dometic FanTastic Vent Fan 1250, 3 speed manual controlled, reversible LINK

Trailer Dimensions & Weights
Length 25’ 5” (305”) = box length 20’ 6’ + tongue 4’ 11”
Width 7’6” (90”)
Height: 10’ 7” (127”) to the highest point which is the top of the roof access ladder
Trailer Weight: 6700 lbs (empty, no water, full diesel)
GVWR: 10,400lbs
Tires: LT 245/75R16 BF Goodrich A/T All Terrain KO2 Load Range E
Wheels: Ultra Wheel Company black powder coated.
Two spare tires and wheels included
Axles (2): Each axle is Dexter 5200lbs 6 lug with electronic brakes

Exterior Key Features
The awning is a Dragon Fly Tarp LINK and can be deployed on either side. We have had many standard RV awning failures and elected to use the Dragon Fly this time. We have absolutely no regrets and would use this on all future travel-vehicle builds. It takes about 5 minutes to set up and can endure severe winds with no issue.
There is a fixed-mounted flip-up table and 120v outlet on the passenger side rear of the trailer. This is very convenient for outdoor cooking and a stout workbench.
The rigid aluminum fixed ladder offers safe access to the fully walk-on roof.
The outdoor shower is very handy on beach days.
By design, the exterior has no easy-to-break-into storage hatches. All storage and mechanical systems are accessed from the interior.

For more information, or to set up a showing, please contact us at:

Instagram: @FloodExploration
Facebook: Flood Exploration
Email: FloodExploration@gmail.com

Ext 1.jpg

Ext 3.jpg

Ext 4.jpg

Ext 5.jpg

Ext 7.jpg

Ext 8.jpg

Last edited:

Nomads365

A Most Adventurous Couple
This is an amazing build. Seems like the perfect way to get away and spend some quality time off-grid with a couple of motos and do some riding.

r&ktravel

I really like the idea of rugged built trailers instead of truck campers, expedition trucks or even vans. a base camp just makes more since to me. you can carry more weight and they are easier to build with square walls. I'm dreaming of a gooseneck with a basement overall length about 26'

High Water

Baja Bliss
I really like the idea of rugged built trailers instead of truck campers, expedition trucks or even vans. a base camp just makes more since to me. you can carry more weight and they are easier to build with square walls. I'm dreaming of a gooseneck with a basement overall length about 26'
Great idea! I started this design with a goosneck layout because it offers better maneuverability as the pivot point in is over the truck rear axel. I ran into a few issues that changed my mind. Due to the structural, steel or aluminum, requirements of a gooseneck, it raised the bunk area significantly making the overall height even higher. But more importantly was the cost of the build on a gooseneck platform. At the time it was 30% more in materials just for the structure. Additionally, a flatbed for the truck is more desirable in a gooseneck configuration so you don't crush your bed sides in an off camber situation. Just look at the rancher's set up for their cattle movers in the back country. That added so much to the total cost cost that I abandoned the idea. Having said that, if funding was not an issue, I agree with you. And yes, the base camp idea is exactly how we use it. The technical off road is more fun on a dirt bike or mountain bike anyway.

High Water

Baja Bliss
Given your experience in it so far, how long would you be able to stay off-grid (assuming enough food, water, fuel for motos and decent sun for charging, of course)?
Based on your assumptions, the general answer is indefinitely. Having been full time travelers since 2017 in three different vehicles, we have found that our limiting factor is food because we choose to eat unprocessed fresh food. We are usually 7-10 days between resupply. If one did not have that dietary restriction and consumed processed and preserved foods, the next limitation would be water. The extensive water filtration system we have installed in this trailer allows for use of water resupply from springs or even streams. Water treatment has been my career so I am probably OTT or OCD on my water purification systems but so be it, I like pure clean water.:)

High Water

Baja Bliss
I have had several questions about running the air conditioning (mini split) on solar. When the sun is out and the a/c on max, for demonstration purposes, we make surplus energy. See photo evidence from the Cerbo GX display. On this screen capture the batteries are fully charged and the a/c is on max fan and a low temperature setting on a 100+F day. Setting the a/c on high/max is not sustainable because you would freeze inside the trailer.

Cerbo GX with a:c on max.jpg

Last edited:

spon

This is a cool build. I bet I could fit a lot of mountain bikes in the garage!

How does the hydronic heat and hot water system work? Is there a hot water tank?

High Water

Baja Bliss
Mountain bikes, I am sure you could. Hang them from the ceiling, mount them on the walls, have a service stand, etc.

The Elwell diesel fired "boiler" heats glycol. The same fluid that is in an automotive radiator. The glycol is circulated via a small pump through the boiler to a pressurized tank that is approximately three gallons and then back to the boiler. The glycol reaches 110F (43C) in about 7-10 min, hot enough to start a shower, and 180F (82C) in about 13-15 min. At that temperature the boiler goes into a maintain mode.

When the demand for hot air is initiated, it opens a solenoid to open and allow the glycol to flow through two heat exchangers that have hot air fans which are ducted to the living space, the toilet/shower, and to the garage. These ducts can be moderated. For example, it you do not want to heat the garage you can close just that duct vent. Also the fans are variable speed based on temperature setting on the thermostat. So once the desired living space temperature is reached they go into slow speed maintenance and are nearly silent. As a bonus of our layout, the mechanical components of the hot air system are located under the floor of the dinette and by default creates radiant floor heat which is really nice on the cold nights.

When the demand for hot water is initiated, it opens a solenoid to open and allow the glycol to flow through a heat exchanger that converts hot glycol to hot water. The hot water is limited only by the available water. So no waiting between showers like conventional RV propane water heaters.

All of this is controlled by a easy to use touch screen panel from Elwell. You just set the function and temperature you desire and that's it. The system is superior to propane system we have had in any RV and is not nearly as complicated as a Wabasto or Espar diesel heaters. If you are familiar to those two, you know they require combustion chamber maintenance and Elwell has solved which I can explain in detail. I am very impressed with this system and would use it on future builds.

High Water

Baja Bliss
The six 100 amp hour batteries are connected in two groups of three with buss bars. This was done per the Expion engineers specification for our system. Photo shown with the protective cover off.

The Victron system performs amazingly. I love the phone app and the desktop controls because I can geek out on all the performance reporting available. I set up alarms for certain conditions which I receive by email and notifications through the app. The touch screen GX controller is great for the day to day controls like turning the inverter on/off and seeing battery state of charge at a glance. I would certainly use Victron again.
Batteries.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat