2500/3500 Ram/Chevy/Ford??

Dark0ctane

I'm currently in a 2019 chevy colorado zr2, and as much as I loved it in the beginning I'm slowly realizing that I really want something bigger. Every road trip the thing is packed to the gills with no breathing room which makes the drive awful and also makes it so that we have to leave things that we'd like to have at home because there's just no more space. I was toying with putting 35's on it to give it more offroad capability but then I run into blowing out components because it's not "built" for that, and then there's the 3 wheeling anytime you need any sort of articulation the ifs is obviously limiting and you end up in an awkward spot with a wheel off the ground teeter tottering and lastly is the lack of power, it has great torque for offroading which is where it excels but on the freeway trying to pass someone you almost need a running start and getting a trailer in a year towing is going to be a problem. So that brings me to today where I'm looking at a used 2500 in either ram/ford/chevy. I want to build it up and put at least 35's on it most likely bigger, and turn it into an overland rig that can also tow I'd like to have a solid front axle as well for the articulation. If any of you have any of these or knowledge on them pros/cons and if you could give me good years for them that would be awesome. Thanks a lot!

jadmt

ignore button user
you sound like a prime candidate for a Power Wagon..2019 up has the better transmission. chevy does not have a solid front axle. Ford will not articulate nearly as good, at least not with out some majoy coin....I will say the new Tremor tho is worth a look. I like the 7.3 better than the Ram 6.4 but if you are not wanting a gasser than it don't matter. RAM has a lot of aftermarket support.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
If you want a solid front axle you'd have to elimate GM and go with Ford or Dodge.

Both are awesome and powerful. It will come down to what is avail and which one is more comfortable for you.

Dark0ctane

you sound like a prime candidate for a Power Wagon..2019 up has the better transmission. chevy does not have a solid front axle. Ford will not articulate nearly as good, at least not with out some majoy coin....I will say the new Tremor tho is worth a look. I like the 7.3 better than the Ram 6.4 but if you are not wanting a gasser than it don't matter. RAM has a lot of aftermarket support.

Awesome thanks for the reply, that was the direction I was looking at going I’d prefer a Cummins 2500 for towing when it comes to that but I’ll try out the power wagon as well! And I’ve seen a ton of fun aftermarket ram stuff so I’m excited about that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dark0ctane

If you want a solid front axle you'd have to elimate GM and go with Ford or Dodge.

Both are awesome and powerful. It will come down to what is avail and which one is more comfortable for you.

The ram has more availability in my area so I’ll probably end up going with that thanks for the reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasSixSeven

Observer
Neither a 2500 Ram with a Cummins nor a Powerwagon will have very much payload which is what you desire when loading a truck up with tons of gear. The heavy diesel motor eats up quite a bit as does the lighter rating of the softer suspensioned PW. If you’re going Cummins go 3500. A 6.4 2500 non PowerWagon will have pretty decent payload though. A Tremor 250 7.3 will have pretty decent payload as well. They don’t articulate as much as a PW, but they’re great for towing due to not having the much softer suspension. IMO a great compromise for on overland rig. A Tremor 350 6.7 diesel will have great payload as well. Either way I’d rule out the IFS of the GM 2500/3500s.

Klutch7

Neither a 2500 Ram with a Cummins nor a Powerwagon will have very much payload which is what you desire when loading a truck up with tons of gear. The heavy diesel motor eats up quite a bit as does the lighter rating of the softer suspensioned PW. If you’re going Cummins go 3500. A 6.4 2500 non PowerWagon will have pretty decent payload though. A Tremor 250 7.3 will have pretty decent payload as well. They don’t articulate as much as a PW, but they’re great for towing due to not having the much softer suspension. IMO a great compromise for on overland rig. A Tremor 350 6.7 diesel will have great payload as well. Either way I’d rule out the IFS of the GM 2500/3500s.

The above are some good points. What else will you be doing with the truck - any towing over 10k lbs? How regularly? What all do you plan on loading into the truck when traveling? Any plans for a pop-up or truck camper in the future? For my use case (rarely towing, payload important, possibly purchasing a FWC or similar in the future) I settled on an F-350 Crew Cab Standard Bed with the 7.3L gas motor. No need for the diesel, and while the Tremor is a nice package from the factory with a warranty, my plan is to go aftermarket for the upgrades I have in mind.

After several weeks in a Ram 2500 rental truck, here are some comparisons to the Ford I had/the same one I have on order:
- The ford interior is roomier, and the floor in the back seat is flat with the seats up. I didn't realize how much I appreciated this until I was in the Ram which has the traditional driveline hump.
- Ram has come a long way with their interiors. I still prefer the size, layout and functionality of the Ford buttons and dials. They are easier to use with gloves. Ford also has steering wheel controls for the radio, etc on all trim levels, but not so with the Rams - another thing I didn't realize I'd miss until not having it.
- While I live in the rust belt most of the time and like the aluminum construction from that standpoint, I still prefer a steel bodied truck overall - point to Ram.
- The CCSB Ram is a little shorter and likely a bit more maneuverable than the CCSB Ford (still, they are both 3/4-ton trucks so it will be different than your current truck).

Just some additional thoughts. Find one of each, drive them back to back, and then flip a coin. They are both nice, capable platforms with growing aftermarket support.

displacedtexan

I wouldn't exactly call 31xx pounds not much payload...

Explorerinil

Observer
You won’t go wrong with a ram or a ford, both are great proven trucks. Both have their positives and draw backs. I’ve owned allot of ram trucks they are great trucks. I do like the 7.3 gas ford super duty allot better than gas ram trucks. I like the large simple easy to use xlt interior in my ford, I also like the column shifter and quick flawless rear locker. I owned a ram 6.4 power wagon, for me the fuel economy was terrible, the seats messed up my back, the truck lacked on room and that dial shifter…I cannot get used to that. the ford 7.3 is a large simple over built engine without active fuel management, auto start stop, grill shutters or electric fans. It’s just a simple forged 1 spark plug per cylinder over built single over head cam engine. I bet this will be one of the last of its kind. I also like that ford offers multiple gear ratio options. Oddly, my ford, which has 4:30 gears, 35 inch tires, the aerodynamics of a brick, and more power than my power wagon still gets better fuel economy than my previous power wagon.

Get a 7.3 f250 tremor and call it a day. Both the f250 and 350 tremors have the same spring packs, the f350 has a higher gvrw on the sticker but they are the same trucks, save on registration if that applies to you.

Klutch7

You won’t go wrong with a ram or a ford, both are great proven trucks. Both have their positives and draw backs. I’ve owned allot of ram trucks they are great trucks. I do like the 7.3 gas ford super duty allot better than gas ram trucks. I like the large simple easy to use xlt interior in my ford, I also like the column shifter and quick flawless rear locker. I owned a ram 6.4 power wagon, for me the fuel economy was terrible, the seats messed up my back, the truck lacked on room and that dial shifter…I cannot get used to that. the ford 7.3 is a large simple over built engine without active fuel management, auto start stop, grill shutters or electric fans. It’s just a simple forged 1 spark plug per cylinder over built single over head cam engine. I bet this will be one of the last of its kind. I also like that ford offers multiple gear ratio options. Oddly, my ford, which has 4:30 gears, 35 inch tires, the aerodynamics of a brick, and more power than my power wagon still gets better fuel economy than my previous power wagon.

Get a 7.3 f250 tremor and call it a day. Both the f250 and 350 tremors have the same spring packs, the f350 has a higher gvrw on the sticker but they are the same trucks, save on registration if that applies to you.

Glad to hear you are still liking the switch. I have a truck on order (supposed to be build this week) and I'm excited for it. What kind of MPG are you seeing regularly? Cheers from your neighbor to the north (WI)

Riversdad

Glad to hear you are still liking the switch. I have a truck on order (supposed to be build this week) and I'm excited for it. What kind of MPG are you seeing regularly? Cheers from your neighbor to the north (WI)
I just did 1034 miles in my 21 Tremor 7.3. 517 with no camper 12.8. 517 with 1650 in bed 11.8. Very comfortable and never lacking for power. Like everything about it except for the fuel mileage and I was expecting that, so nothing to complain about.

Explorerinil

Observer
I am up in Wisconsin often, I love it up there. 13-15 mpg, which I think is great for what it is. Tons of power, right rpm all the time with the 10 speed, absolutely love the truck.

Eb1970

The 7.3 is a cam in block engine, no overhead cam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk