2nd gen X tire question

LukeHooligan

Observer
So I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question but wanted to be sure by dipping into the wealth of knowledge possessed by fellow forum members. 2 weeks ago my trusty 03 Xterra met it's end courtesy of a drunk driver plowing into the back of me at a red light. Fortunately I located and purchased a suitable replacement in an already built 05 Xterra. On to my tire question, the original owner in order to preserve the stock wheels from trail damage installed hub adapters and 6 lug chevy steelies(much less backspacing to my dislike) with 285/75-16 pro comps, I also received a set of 5 of the stock wheels with the truck so my question is with the 3 inch suspension lift and total chaos UCAs installed is there any reason i would have rubbing issues going back to the stock wheels with these tires? Thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthy post to ask a simple question.
-Luke-

Last edited:

Cereal_Killer

The 285/75-16 is a popular size on the 2nd gen X's. Some people have put them on without even a lift, but the lift would make for more off-road capability. The only thing you'll need to do is what they call the "melt mod", lifted or not. Basically a part of the front plastic fender liner needs to be warmed up and re-formed or whatever to eliminate any rubbing. Here's a link to a forum dedicated to the 2nd gen X. Great resource, tons of info and inspiration for all things Xterra.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1346&highlight=melt+mod

Cereal_Killer

You may also want to consider doing a transmission radiator by-pass and/or adding a secondary radiator if you're running an automatic transmission. Some of the radiators have had a tendency to fail in the transmission part, allowing coolant to mix with the transmission fluid, causing what they call the "strawberry milkshake of death", or SMOD, basically causes total failure of the transmission. The bypass is simple as can be, doesn't really reduce the cooling capability of the trans and doesn't cause any harm or anything, . Cheap insurance.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25955&highlight=radiator

LukeHooligan

Observer
Thanks for the info, had already looked into the transmission cooler bypass and it is on my to-do list. Melt mod is no problem, I was hoping for either no rubbing or no more than could be cured by a little massaging, so you have answered my question.
Thanks again.
-Luke-

LukeHooligan

Observer
wanted to stop back in and say i did the transmission cooler/radiator bypass this evening and removing and re-installing my skid plate took about 5 times longer than the actual bypass did, incredibly easy. Thanks for the kind words Darth, everyone was ok, just a few damaged vehicles, I see you've lost a vehicle due to someone who shouldn't have been on the road as well.

Yes, my wife was T-Boned and the Element flipped on its side and slide into bollards at the sidewalk, car was totaled. If she was in a smaller car it would have had a very different outcome. Glad to hear all were well. Post some pics of your X when you get a chance.

wanted to stop back in and say i did the transmission cooler/radiator bypass this evening and removing and re-installing my skid plate took about 5 times longer than the actual bypass did, incredibly easy. Thanks for the kind words Darth, everyone was ok, just a few damaged vehicles, I see you've lost a vehicle due to someone who shouldn't have been on the road as well.

jarmentrout

Observer
Don't use spacers. You bearings were not designed to carry the weight of the vehicle with a toque that spacers make

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

RonapRhys

Adventurer
07 X owner here and I was running 285/75-16s with only the melt mod, no real rubbing except at full lock (even then it was on the frame). With a 2" lift, no rubbing at all.

Blind_Io

Adventurer
I am running 285/75/16 BF Goodrich All Terrains on my 2006 with a 2.5" PRG lift (UCAs, shocks and springs). I did the Melt Mod and I have not had any rubbing. Depending on the tread on your ProComps you might have an issue, some tires with really chunky mud terrain tread can have rubbing issues that less aggressive tread patterns don't. With that amount of lift you should be fine. There is a Sticky over at TheNewX.org where users can catalog their tire size, modifications, and fitment. http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4645 It might be of some help to you.

Also, I agree with the above post about ditching the spacers. Not only do they put added stress on the bearings, but they are illegal in some states.

farley27

Adventurer
Running 1.5" wheel spacers with 285 mud terrains. No issues with blown bearings with the spacers.....I did have to cut some sheet metal, but it took all of 5 mins with a angle grinder. Get the tranny bypassed sooner than later.

05nissanXterra

Observer
I'm running 305/70R16 on TKO wheels with a 2" lift, 1.5" OME HD springs and the melt mod. Oh! And no rubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LukeHooligan

Observer
Thanks for all the feedback. Already did the cooler bypass, and don't worry ditching the spacers and going back to the stock wheels is coming up soon on the priority list. I need to get the wheels painted as they have already been bead blasted. In the meantime I have been dealing with some more pressing maintenance items first (replaced CV axles, inner and outer drivers side tie rod parts should be here mid week to cure slop and vibration caused by hammered parts currently on the truck, then will obviously need aligned).
-Luke-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism