2WD Dodge 1500

rhk

Hello I'm a Newbie, And I have been bitten by the Expo!!!:wings: My problem is that I have a 2WD 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 and I want a expo vehicle with the Flippac. I've noticed that most of the trails you guys and gals are exploring look to be 2WD friendly but I'm torn by trading in my Dodge and buying a JK or keeping the Dodge and outfit/preparing it for stuckage! Please HELP! With my decision. Thanks Rob

angusdevil

Adventurer
2wd shouldn't be a show stopper, just means that you need to plan accordingly. Here in AZ, there TONS of places for any type of rig. Obviously you're not going to be able to tackle a 4 or 4.5 trail but something like a 2 or 3 is more than doable.. just going to have to pick good lines. A good driver in a 2wd can get more places than an incapable 4wd driver. Just air down the tires, pick a good line and make some plans and you'd be amazed where all you can get to.

Nick02

2wd shouldn't be a show stopper, just means that you need to plan accordingly. Here in AZ, there TONS of places for any type of rig. Obviously you're not going to be able to tackle a 4 or 4.5 trail but something like a 2 or 3 is more than doable.. just going to have to pick good lines. A good driver in a 2wd can get more places than an incapable 4wd driver. Just air down the tires, pick a good line and make some plans and you'd be amazed where all you can get to.
X2 also if you find yourself getting stuck, get larger tires and a locker... you'll be :Wow1: at where you can go, IMHO any truck is a better "expo" vehicle then a JK because you have a "bed" to start building off of. Used camper-shells are cheap and plenty to come by on craigslist... even tho it's ugly... I love my ARE

Check out my 2wd dakota build thread in my sig..

rhk

Thanks Guys! I have been wracking my brain on this for awhile. The JK would have a Adventure style trailer to tow behind. I LOVE! my truck so I will probably drop down to 17" rim from the 20" to have a larger side wall to be able to air down. Also add a leveling kit and air bags in the rear to help with the extra weight. I like the way that the Flippac works (especially when I saw the one board member add the camper door to the back instead of the flip up window and tailgate). Thanks again for responding, I will be nailing this thing down soon:victory:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Put some bigger traction tires on it, a locker in the rear, and a detachible winch with front and rear mounting points and a good recovery kit and you will be able to go quite few places. Having tires you can air down will help a lot when you get in soft stuff. Have some weight over the rear axle too for traction.

Mr. Moore

Observer
I have a 2005 ram 1500 2wd that when money permits, I will be outfitting accordingly. I already have a set of the factory 17" steelies to swap out for my stupid 20s. it is just a money game! a 2wd can also keep you from getting into trouble to begin with...but as stated before, a 2wd can go alot of places and if you are properly equipped, you can still self recover if you get in to deep. Also consider that you have no T-case, front diff, front driveshaft, cv axles etc to break on the trail. good luck with your decision and post up pics if you move ahead with the dodge!

rcintx

Adventurer
Same boat! 2006 Ram 1500, 2wd. As of yet, I have not needed 4x4. However, I know where I can go and where I can't go. I grew up on a farm/ranch (never had 4x4), but learned the limits of where you can go well.

I also have 20" rims currently running Bridgestone Revo's. They have been good but with 40k miles on them, they need to be replaced soon. I am searching high and low for a set of stock 17's. I am thinking about going with Bfgoodrich AT KO's. Anyone know what size I can go with? I don't want to loose height.

My philosophy is to not let the vehicle slow you down. I am saving for something a little more robust, but until then, I will use what I got. Just get out there and go!

rcintx

Adventurer
Since there are some Dodge guys here, I have another question.

Anyone look into adding a second battery? If so, how/where did you put it? I can't find the space.

angusdevil

Adventurer
For tires, you can go up to a 305/70R17 without any rubbing or leveling kit. A 2" leveling kit and you can fit 315's. A lot of the diesel guys really enjoy the Yoko 315's for an AT tire.

As for the 2nd battery, you can buy all the parts at the dealership so its a seamless installation. You just get the 2nd battery, tray and wiring for the CTD. This will require that you remove the stock airbox and go with another intake. Other than that, you can mount the battery in the bed. Not much in the ways of room under the truck for a battery but it can be done. All depends on how "custom" you want to go.

I bought the "diesel" tray for my '96 from the dealer. Paid far too much, but it fits perfectly without hiccups or mods. I don't know of a locker, especially a selectable, that will fit the rear end...I'm assuming that you have the 9.25 like I do...could be wrong. Maybe a Detroit? Even a good LSD will help if you finesse the emergency brake in a tough spot. I do that often before engaging the front diff.

Just repeating what others have already pointed out. Throw on a topper and go. The rest of it will work itself out as you go along. :sombrero:

angusdevil

Adventurer
Detroit and powertrax make lockers for the Chrysler 9.25

A locker would be a nice addition later down the road but the funds put towards it could really go a long way elsewhere on a rig.

bdbecker

Adventurer
I say rock and roll in 2WD. I was impressed with how much I was able to get through in my F150 on crappy tires when my 4WD wasn't working. Besides, according to my uncle, Dodge's are far superior in every way to Fords - you should be able drive that thing in 2WD from Deadhorse to Rio Gallegos without ever touching pavement and only needing a winch to help your friends get unstuck.

I bought the "diesel" tray for my '96 from the dealer. Paid far too much, but it fits perfectly without hiccups or mods...

Unless you realized later the exact same part cost significantly less from a different source, I don't believe you paid too much. All to often the less expensive version ends up being more of a pain than its worth - there is something to be said about fitting perfectly, working reliably, and without any mods.

Last edited:
Good point and well said. I have not found it elsewhere, don't regret buying it, but was initially shocked at the price. Obviously, not shocked enough not to buy it. :sombrero:

wely

Observer
I also have a 2wd 2006 Dodge ram. Trying to get it ready for camping season here in the south. We mostly see mud and dirt roads. What size tires are ya'll running. I'm lucky enough to have the 17" steelies everyone wants. I was surprised to find out that the steelies are 8" wide rims. I know 265/70-17 are stock just thinking of going a little bigger.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal