2WD E450 Rear End Options?

liamlunchtray

We have a 27' Born Free on a 2011 E450 Chassis. V10 Gas with a 4.56 rear.

The plan is to "work from home" on the road for 3-4 months a year. Solar and internet stuff is all in the works currently. We are hoping to spend as much time as possible boondocking on BLM land. A 4x4 conversion was sadly out of budget, so we are trying to get things more capable without going all-in. Next week it goes in for a Weldtec 4" Lift at our local spring shop and some bigger tires, which should be a good start.

Does anyone know what my options are for a Limited Slip or Locker? I know just enough to know that I don't know enough. The tag on the diff says "4 56 AC24-BD 2013727-3", which I think is a Dana Super 70.

Any input on whether a Ltd Slip or Locker are even really necessary? Would I be just as well off with getting a winch for "just in case" situations and calling it a day? I don't expect to get into anything too crazy, but I definitely want to venture outside of established campgrounds...

Thanks in advance!
Liam
beluga.jpg

iggi

Ian
My rig isn't as big as yours but I've found the factory installed limited slip (it was an Ambulance) to be really helpful in any slippery stuff. When it wasn't working I was surprised at how often I was getting stuck. If I was paying for a new traction device I'd consider a real locker. Lots of options available for the Dana70. (update - but apparently not any options except for a Trac-Loc for the Dana Super 70 )

IMG_2990.jpg

Last edited:

jkam

nomadic man
Give it the ground clearance and tires.
I wouldn't bother with changing the rear diff.
I have a 24' Lazy Daze that I live in full time.
I don't want to take my home into places that I would need 4wd. The twisting is not good for the RV.
There are plenty of BLM and forest service roads that you are capable of doing as is.

cabnetguy

I found the hard way that the late model Dana super 70 has no aftermarket support. I found this out after buying one for my rig. The only option is factory limited slip, at least for now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad