4’x6’ utility/camping trailer build with Timbren suspension.

Madweld

Hello,

I had no intentions of building a trailer. I have a pretty beat up 5’x8’ utility trailer that I was going to try and modify for a roof top tent/ camping gear. After researching here and seeing all the awesome builds I decided to just start from scratch. My goal was to build a roughly 4x6 trailer with a similar track width to my Tacoma. When all said and done I’d like it to have a lid and rack for RTT. Lucky for me I already have a welder and the tools required. I also had a couple 10’ sticks of 11ga 2”x2” square tube. I didn’t really draw anything out just started cutting and welding. I don’t have a cool name for this project yet but I’m leaning twords “gussets” IMG_3518.jpegIMG_3521.jpeg
Once I had the main part of the frame tacked together I added some crossmembers.
IMG_3524.jpeg
At this point I decided to gusset the corners with some 3/16” plate.
IMG_3531.jpeg
Looking at this boring rectangle made me want to add a nose with some angles to break things up a bit. So again I started cutting and laying things out on the table. IMG_3526.jpeg
When things looked right I welded it up and joined it to the frame. I added a couple gussets for good measure. IMG_3582.jpeg

Last edited:

Madweld

Early in my build I was planning on using a conventional straight axle. After I don’t know how many late nights obsessing on the internet I ended up ordering Timbren 2.2k HD suspension with 4” lift. Reading the instructions that came with the suspension made me think I should reinforce the area of the frame where the suspension will mount. I used 1/4” strap and added a 3/16” wall square tube near the center of the trailer. This isn’t a great picture but you can see the reinforcement I made. I ended up welding that out completely but don’t have pictures. IMG_3585.jpegIt

IMG_3608.jpeg
At this point the frame was starting to get pretty heavy. I welded everything out on the table then moved it to the ground to get the tongue mounted. For the tongue I’m using 10’ of 2.5”x2.5”x.25” this piece weighs 70lbs by it self. I ran the tongue the full length of the trailer with a couple inches extending past the rear of the frame. My plan is to have a 2” receiver hitch on the back when all is said and done. IMG_3614.jpeg

Madweld

I wanted to strengthen the connection between the tongue and the platform. I started out by adding some 3/16” wall 2” square tube under the frame with a couple gussets for good measure. I also mounted my lock n roll hitch. I don’t plan to make an adjustable tongue. If this length tracks and backs right I’ll probably weld the hitch to the frame.
IMG_1525.jpeg
IMG_1522.jpeg
I also added a couple gussets to the back of the nose. Not fully welded yet but you get the idea.
IMG_1524.jpeg
I have a bit more welding to do on the main frame. After that will be mounting the Timbrens, hubs, tires, and trailer jack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk