4 pin mic question

squinko

Observer
I had to install a cheap CB in my Jeep since my other broke today. We are getting ready to head out on a trip so I needed a quick install on a new one. I installed a Cobra ultra 3 which works fine for now. The only issue I have is the mic on it is ginormous. My question is it has four pin mic and I want to find a smaller one, can I use any four pin mic even though it may be a different brand?

Thanks in advance.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
Without comparing the wiring diagram of the radio to the wiring diagram of the new mic it's pretty much a crap shoot if it will work or not. Different radios often need different wiring connections to make them work. Look at the mic box or the mic manufacturer's web site to see which model fits your radio model.

Mashurst

Adventurer
With CB 4-pin I have never run across one that didn't have the same pin-out. With Ham it is a whole nother deal.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Yeah, vast majority of 4-pins are the same. Some older Midland 4-pins I know were different though (maybe still is, not sure... sticking with 4-pin mics made for Uniden, Cobra, President, or Galaxy/Superstar/RCI radios should avoid any problems).

Most radios also have diagrams in their user manuals that you can compare that of the mic with just to be sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3