4x6 Cargo Trailer + RTT + 93 Toyota 4x4 Package (Trailer and RTT SOLD)

grotto

Observer
To be clear, this is NOT an off-road set-up, neither am I representing it as such. It was headed in that direction, but after a year’s use, SWMBO wants more comfort and protection from the elements. Intended as a simple, versatile and lightweight system for our camping style of setting up a base camp, bringing along a few toys and exploring the area, it has met the criteria very well.

I am willing to separate the RTT and cargo trailer, but because it is such a good one, I’m having a tougher time letting go of the truck and will only include it as part a complete package deal.

The roof top tent is a Cascadia Vehicle Tents Mt. Shasta Extended Pioneer Series purchased new by me in August of 2014. https://cascadiatents.com/shop/extended-veranda/ The tent has seen 25 or so nights of use and has no defects except for a very small amount of mildew stain along the bottom edge opposite the entry which occurred during a particularly damp trip. I have made no attempt to clean the stain as it wasn’t such that it bothered me at all. Other than the sun faded CVT emblem on the cover and whatever wear has occurred from the minimal use, the tent is super clean, smells fresh and appears as new. The annex has only been used one time. I have kept the tent stored indoors in my shop either on the trailer or hanging from the Harken ceiling hoist which is included in the sale. Also included is a two piece anti-condensation mat (must have item) which I have secured to the floor so it stays put, annex channel (another must have accessory) that allows the annex to be attached without removing the cover which is a major PIA, shoe hammock, gear loft, and a couple of REI sleeping pads. Placed under the cheap factory foam pad, the sleeping pads are a huge upgrade in sleeping comfort. Purchased new, the tent and accessories would cost over $2000. I’m offering the RTT package for $1300, which considering the excellent condition, I feel is a fair depreciation hit. I’ll also throw in a little LED lamp that hangs from a strap off the top cross bar.

The cargo trailer is a 6’ long by 4’ wide plus V-nose manufactured in June 2015 by Diamond Cargo Trailers in Brunswick, Georgia. It was special ordered by a military officer to move across the country and purchased by me in August 2015 after he arrived and did not have a place to store it. Specifications include: 3” x 2” tubular welded steel main A-frame (unknown wall thickness) with 24” O.C. 3” welded steel C-channel floor cross members, 3/4 in. plywood floor with treated underside. 16” O.C. welded tubular steel wall framing members with 3/8” plywood walls, 24” O.C welded tubular steel roof framing members with ThermaCool ceiling and galvalume roof, Baked enamel finish aluminum exterior, 2” coupler, 4-way flat pigtail, Tongue Jack with pad, 2,000 lb. straight leaf spring axle w/ EZ lube hubs, 13” steel wheels, 13” ST175 tires, plus a spare tire and wheel. According to the build sheet the trailer weighs 700 lbs. empty. Besides the tongue jack, the trailer does not have any additional stabilizing jacks which despite the height, I have found unnecessary. The trailer is stored in my shop, has no leaks and is in like new condition with the exception of a few small dings caused by a tree branch falling on it.

The roof rack uses Yakima gutter mounts with 8” Thule foot packs and load bars. The gutter mounts are bolted directly above the 16” OC wall framing to carry the load, spacing the load bars within the RTT specs, and centering the weight of the RTT above and a few inches forward of the axle, right where you want it. I pieced the rack together with new and used parts thus do not have keys. Keys can be easily purchased from a Thule dealer with the key number stamped on the cylinder. Also, the coating on the cross bars are well loved and have a couple splits and can be easily replaced when the time comes.

The interior of the trailer is customized for camping. I first built a slide out camp kitchen that fits both the truck bed and trailer, then partitioned the interior around the kitchen with a second split platform which lifts on one side to fit a couple of mountain bikes. I am an ex cabinet maker, so although the construction is simple, the kitchen is properly glued and fastened, and with care should last a lifetime. Everything is unfinished with the exception of the plastic laminate top. Loaded, the kitchen probably weighs about 70 pounds. The end of the kitchen is supported with a folding saw horse with a board that clamps to it that is quickly and easily adjusted for height and off angles. Nothing elegant but quick and easy. The saw horse also comes in handy as a step up when opening and closing the RTT. The partitions inside the trailer can be easily unscrewed and removed.

I want $2800 for the complete trailer and RTT package. I will separate and sell the complete trailer package for, $1500. I will also sell the trailer without the camp kitchen and interior partitions for $1350 or gutted and without the rack system for $1200.

As previously mentioned, the truck is only available if sold as a complete truck, trailer and RTT package. It is a virtually unmolested 1993 Toyota 4x4, 22RE, 5-speed. The truck is a basic DLX model with a protection package, hence the side moldings, wheel well moldings, rear wheel well flair guards and rocker panel undercoating. It has Aisin manual hubs, manual steering, no AC, and roll up windows, about as basic as it gets. The odometer now sits a bit under 210,000 miles. In my opinion the truck is as fine an example as you can expect to find with this mileage. It regularly gets compliments, thumbs up and off-handed offers. There is no rust with the exception of a small spot at one end of the tailgate cover which has worn through the paint and should be repaired before rusting through.

I bought the truck in January 2012 with 168,000 miles, so having put 40,000 miles on it I know it very well. Under my care the truck first received a new timing chain kit, water pump and valve adjustment at 175,000. I installed a new idler arm around the same time. The truck was purchased with a cracked header which I replaced with a new Doug Thorley ceramic coated header, retaining the original O2 sensor and catalytic converter. In January 2016 a new cat back exhaust was installed. Last week I replaced the original radiator. The truck has a rear axle seal leak so before selling I will be replacing the bearings, seals and brakes on both sides. The front bench seat was removed and I fitted a nice pair of 4-Runner bucket seats in its place. Along the way I also replaced the shocks with stock spec KYB’s. Of course the fluids and filters have been regularly changed.

The truck comes with the Snug-Top canopy, a custom lumber rack that fits over the canopy, a set of 3 Thule cross bars, an extra set of 4 used wheels and tires matching those pictured, a set of 5 very nice Toyota 15x7 SR5 alloy wheels with Michelin 31 x 10.5 LTX MS tires, plus a set of 4 factory 15x7 Toyota steel wheels. It also has a plastic bed-liner and a 2” receiver mounted to the frame behind the front license plate. Although very nice, the body isn’t perfect and has a few very small door dings and paint scratches. The factory cardinal red paint is a single stage paint (no clear coat). It still buffs and shines up nicely but is starting to show some deeper sun fade in a few areas. In the pictures it is due for a buff and wax so you can see what I mean. The clutch may be on its last legs as I have just started to experience an occasional reluctance to fully engage into 4th gear. All other gears shift nice and smoothly so I will first change the gear oil to see if that helps. It is not even close to preventing me from driving or needing replacement at this time but should be mentioned in the interest of full disclosure. The truck is also ready for an alignment and new front tires. With the various tire and wheel combos I have on hand, buying new tires can be put off for a long time if one chooses. The front brakes have not needed changing since I bought the truck so I’ll have another look at them while rebuilding the outer rear axles. The truck runs exceptionally well, does not smoke and drives like it should. If sold, the truck will be fully sorted and ready for someone to fly in, hitch-up and confidently travel back home anywhere in the USA.

Again, the truck will only be sold as part of a $9300 full package deal.

Located in Kingston, WA

Cheers

Last edited:

(none)

Adventurer
My dad had essentially the same pick-up, purchased new in '89. Same color (quickly faded if not kept waxed), same configuration (although his had the bench seat), same tube rear bumper (with the front to match), same cap (no thule mounts though). Good luck with the sale, just seeing it brings back lots of memories.

grotto

Observer
My dad had essentially the same pick-up, purchased new in '89. Same color (quickly faded if not kept waxed), same configuration (although his had the bench seat), same tube rear bumper (with the front to match), same cap (no thule mounts though). Good luck with the sale, just seeing it brings back lots of memories.

This one had a bench seat and faded paint when I bought it. An annual buff and wax keeps it looking presentable. Bi-annual would be better, but who has time for that?

grotto

Observer
Sold the trailer and RTT a couple weeks ago. Full price. I finally got around to posting a local CL ad and had a buyer within a couple hours. Amazing.

The truck is still available. Rear axle bearings and seals have been replaced. I'm not advertising the truck locally yet, still somewhat conflicted over letting it go. It is seldom driven these days, but comes in handy from time to time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3