5 Days in Moab Utah

EvuseIX

My wife and I agreed that it has been awhile since our last excursion so we made plans of doing a trip to Aspen Colorado for snowboarding and then to Moab Utah for the trails during the Christmas Holidays. The plan was to spend 1 week at each location but because of my work we had to cut the trip time to 1 week and Moab was chosen due to its proximity although we would have preferred to experience carving Aspen's slopes in our boards. Anyway, this trip gave me an excuse to inform and have the CFO (The Wifey) approve the purchase of new "essentials :ylsmoke:. The half-drive impact drill and the go pro were my Christmas gifts but the rest were the "essentials".

Dewalt.jpg

Day 1 Departure (12/19/2014)
I am one of the few that like to travel at night because for me the miles just seem to melt away and there would be less traffic (Trying to avoid the people heading to Vegas). Around 10 PM we headed out and not long we found ourselves stuck in traffic on the northbound 15 and 215 FWY interchange. According to the reports, it was an 8 car pile up. Lucky for me, I was familiar with the area so I exited at the nearest exit, used the local roads to avoid the jam and got back on the 15 fwy. We arrived in Vegas around 12 Midnight for our first fuel stop and was in Zion Utah around 3 AM for our second fuel stop.

20141220_070855_001 1.jpg

2 hours later, I started feeling light headed and sleepy so I stopped at a truck stop to rest and get a few hours of sleep (at this time I was already up for 36 hours straight). My vision was somewhat close to this lol.

20141220_070142 1.jpg

After 2 hours of sleep, we got back on the freeway stopping only for gas and breakfast. It was uneventful for most of the way except for the early morning fog and the big semi's passing us at 80-90 mph (I was driving at 75mph and couldn't believe how fast these rigs were going!). We arrived in Moab around 11 AM and went straight to our camp site, Lazy Lizard Hostel. The cabin that we booked was a little dirty and needed some cleaning but it was manageable and expected. We paid $158 for our whole stay which was relatively cheap compared to staying at the motels for $600.

Daybreak
20141220_072645 1.jpg

Fog
20141220_101730 1.jpg

Moab Arrival
20141221_103528 1.jpg

The cabin
IMG_2057 1.jpg

EvuseIX

Day 2 Elephant Hill
Woke up around 8 am, cooked breakfast, packed up the truck with what we needed for the excursion and left the cabin around 10 AM and got to Elephant Hill around 12:30 PM. There was a slight time miscalculation on my part as I thought that the it would only take us an hour to get to the hill from the Lazy Lizard but obviously it was more than that. It is also good to note that there is a $10 entry fee to the park so bring cash. All of the books that I read did not mention the fee but we were lucky as the booths were closed and the trail was open.

While airing down my tires to 20psi and getting ready for the trail at the entrance, I was approached by the dad of an Asian family who told me that they too were planning on tackling Elephant Hill in their stock 2 wheel drive Toyota Rav 4 with all season tires. I thought he was pulling my leg but the man looked serious and determined so I just wished them well and left. We never saw them at the trail but we did see some tire tracks showing a vehicle turning around which was a little bit past the entrance prior to the first obstacle.

A few feet past the entrance, the terrain immediately changed from easy to medium to hard and we weren't even by the actual start of the trail!

From start to finish, I had to get in and out of the truck multiple times to assess the terrain and pick my lines. There were some instances were I had to engage my rear diff lock due to the difficulty of the terrain, i.e. steep rocky ascents and deep ruts. Also, the truck for some reason, kept stalling which made me start second guessing my decision to do this hill by ourselves (I later found out that it was due to bad gas) but we pushed on after a quick check of the fuel systems.

We had to forego the hike to the Confluence Overlook and didn't take a lot of pictures because of our late start and shorter day times. I fortunately did keep the go pro running so all in all it wasn't a total failure, lol.

The videos were edited into 4 parts to show the difficult sections of the trail and if I actually posted the whole un-edited version, you would be in your seat for atleast 4 hours listening to me and my wife talk nonsense, lol.

A couple of pictures before the videos

Entrance from the highway
20141221_121951 1.jpg

20141221_122542 1.jpg

20141221_122604 1.jpg

20141221_123135 1.jpg

First hill climb
20141221_152222 1.jpg

Some pics on the trail
20141221_134915 1.jpg

20141221_142020 1.jpg

20141221_152208_001 1.jpg

Me trying to assess the trail

20141221_142722 1.jpg

The videos as promised (4 Parts)

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNXHJeNC3h0

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K3FHwkhHD0

Part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALGqLPYscMw

Part 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C833J0BOlM

I'll update the page for Day 3 later :)

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
great write up...I like the night driving part, agreed on how the miles melt away

love the pics and your rig is really well set

thanks for taking us along

unkamonkey

Explorer
That brought back a lot of memories, we've been doing that trail for over 20 years. The last trip we took the cremains of two of our friends out to the Confluence Overlook to let them go where they wanted to be. We did do a mouth to mouth on a bottle of Tequilla too while we were there. As the line goes "We lost her".

EvuseIX

great write up...I like the night driving part, agreed on how the miles melt away

love the pics and your rig is really well set

thanks for taking us along

Thanks 1leglance.

That brought back a lot of memories, we've been doing that trail for over 20 years. The last trip we took the cremains of two of our friends out to the Confluence Overlook to let them go where they wanted to be. We did do a mouth to mouth on a bottle of Tequilla too while we were there. As the line goes "We lost her".

I am sure your friends appreciated the gesture unkamonkey.

JBL13

Nice videos. It was 12 years ago today that my wife and I drove our stock '02 regular cab Tacoma on that trail. Great memories, and the truck did fine with open diffs and factory Dunlops. I'm under the impression that the trail might be somewhat deteriorated from what it was back then, but not sure. Thinking of driving it again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk