5x8 utility trailer campsite pod

blazinchuck

Bronco Enthusiast
hey guys, ive been searching for days! been all over with ideas...m416, custom offroad build,etc. problem is...i dont see me really taking this "offroad" most places i go have nice campsites, and im not crazy bout camping on the trails. a while back a friend gave me a fiber glass freezer unit that fit in a s10 or ranger. i thought it would make for a great dry storage and campsite carry-all...but i was wrong IT WAS SUPER HEAVY. so im thinking of making a removable pod(for when i go camping/wheeling. then slide it out and use trailer for everyday use. heres a crude pic of the truck bed cooler which gave me some of the ideas. also included a rendering of the pod(first time using google sketchup). the the trailer is 5x8, the pod would be 60" wide and 72" long. this will leave me with room infront for firewood. if anyone has done a pod similar please post pics. this wont be a sleeping pod. future plans would be a RTT.

images.jpgIMAG0703.jpg

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I did something similar to what you're planning, but on a smaller scale. My trailer is built off of a 4'x4' harbor freight trailer. I basically built a 55"x55" cube that bolts directly to the frame and came come off as a whole with a couple of bolts. It has a fold-down table that I use as my kitchen, I have my solar panels mounted to the roof with a converter and a deep cycle inside, a mount for my 20hp outboard engine on the front. I also removed the tongue it came with (it was just a cheap C channel tongue) with a proper square tube extended tongue that goes all way to the rear so that I can also throw on my hitch mounted bike rack if I need to.

When I need to use my trailer as a flat-bed (haul a motorcycle or something), just unbolt the box and it comes right off. I kinda turned my trailer into a swiss army knife.

blazinchuck

Bronco Enthusiast
nice! hope so others have done something similar to what im thinking...id love to see more pics. thanks for sharing.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I'm fairly sure he means your trailer.
Oh, well in that case they're just regular old 18.5 x 8.50-8 "high speed" tires, 760lb load rating at 35psi (B load range). Made by Carlisle, available at any trailer parts store. I painted the wheels black. I got them because the trailer came with dinky little tires and I knew I was going to be doing mild off roading with it and didn't want it to sink in the sand or wet grass/mud. After 2 years of a lot of use they're showing zero signs of wear. I'm running honda 4 lug 2" spacers to clear the spring packs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues