94 starting problems

Rustedrebel09

I have a 94 sr. I am having problems with it starting every time. Some times it doesn't even turn over just clicks, then keep turning the key on and off a bunch of times and then eventually it starts up. While sometimes it sounds like it's trying to turn over but something is jammed, possible the starter motor? I don't know where to start, I'm thinking starter motor, butna friend said it might be the ignition switch? I'm open to any help or advice. Any advice on how to diagnose, or has anyone had this problem.

Thanks
Rustedrebel09

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Mine has been doing that on and off since I bought it 2 yrs ago. Sometimes takes me 5-6-7 times to turn the key for it to start. I also hear a click (not from starter) but no start. :coffee:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Ignition switch, wiring, or starter solenoid maybe.

Does the starter itself click when you try and start it? If not it may be your ignition switch or the wire that energizes the solenoid.

GrassCat

Adventurer
Sounds like a ground or key switch problem. Start by removing the cables from the battery and cleaning them. Make sure they are nice and shiney, both the cable ends and the battery terminals.

If that does not fix the problem order a switch. Go to Rockauto.com to order one. Look under electrical-switch and relay and chose starter switch.

molenz

Most likely the starter motor. You can check it if you have a voltmeter, there is a single wire that clips on the starter solenoid, disconnect this then check for voltage there when turning the key to the start position. You will get battery voltage each time you attempt to start. If the voltage is consistant then your ignition switch is ok, remove starter for reconditioning or replacement.

If you don't have a voltmeter a quick and dirty method is to hold the key in the start position and get a friend to hit the starter solenoid with a hammer (lightly) a few times, if the starter winds over then the solenoid is faulty. Remove starter and get it checked over.

Rustedrebel09

So I got stuck today at a gas station, it wouldNt start at All. Luckily my dad was close by and came to save me. I tried to start it so many times the battery got low so I had my dad give me a jump and it started right up. So I thought I must have a weak battery. I went to orileys and had them do a stress test on my battery turns out it would not take charge or hold charge. 120 dollars later and new battery car starts much better. But still starter motor sound bad, doesn't engage every time. I plan to get a new one next pay day. Hopefully that's all I'll need for it to be ready for winter. Thanks for help guys, I think I'll still test out the switch just in case.

KarmannMarco

Adventurer
My truck has been doing the same exact thing for over a year now. Seems to be pretty common issue but have yet to find a common solution. In my opinion the exhaust running right next to the starter makes it go out prematurely. I noticed when i drive for long periods of time or the truck is running and not moving for a long time if i shut it off it will be real hard to get it started again but in cold weather or after a short drive it has less issues. Let us know when you get it sorted out.

Rustedrebel09

So I finally decided to change the starter motor and sofar it has started every time. I think I'm gonna order a starter heat wrap or heat shield. On another note. After changing the starter I drove to work and a check engine light came on. I figured it just needed to reset, and sure enough it went off 15 min later. Then I drove it home from work and the a/t temp, brake, and batt. Light came on and I have no idea what is wrong. I'm planning on disconnecting the batt. Again for a while to restart the comp and see what happens. Anyone else have something similar happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven