95 4Runner spare tire carrier

rmcnabb

Hey -
Does anyone know if there is a factory side-swing type spare tire carrier that will work well on a 95 4R? I have seen photos of one, and I want to say it was a GM product, maybe from a Blazer or something similar, and it looked really good - fit perfectly.

Any help much appreciated.

BLKNBLU

Explorer
Some 90-95 runners had them from the factory. Looked like this...
72930d1236650319-4runner-swing-out-tire-carrier-can-attached-tacoma-just-back-junk-yard-8march09.jpg

They bolted to the sheet metal but also had some sort of reinforcement on the inside of the body. You would need to make sure you got that part also if you manage to find one in a salvage yard or on Craigslist. Or fab something up.

EXP-T100

Adventurer
I would assume the bracing is already in place for it you would just need to drill for it. My father-in-law had a 91 runner with a swing gate for the spare, he drove it off the lot in 90 with it.

instantninja

the bracing isn't in place, you have to buy them from toyota and install it yourself. the tire carrier itself can be found on second generation 4runners.

what if you had a carrier mounted to an aftermarket bumper, would that work for you? I don't know what size tires you have, but it would definitely be much stronger than mounting it to the body.

Attachments

• SDC10940.JPG
    SDC10940.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 105

dlbrunner

Adventurer
The response I trust to a bumper mounted spare is "NO"

Sonoransteel made 2nd Gen bumpers for a while, and apparantly steve would not mount a spare carriers on them. Recognizing wisdom when I see it I would tend to take his advise.

Something about the way the bumper mounts up to the frame and strength issues.

Not sure if anyone is still making full rear armor for the 2nd Gen 4runner.

Try searching "Big Bear Customs"

Good luck

Also...If you mount the factory carrier, the reverse lights will not be visible...

toyrunner95

Explorer
The strength of the aftermarket bumpers isnt an issue. I had a aftermarket spare tire carrier on my runner with zero problems. As for factory, the swing out was discontinued in 91 I believe in favor of going under the truck. Behind the D pillar of the truck was extra bracing that was taken out when the carrier was discontinued. So no you cant put a 90 carrier on a 95 truck. BUT i have see an allpro bumper modified to fit a factory spare tire carrier, and it holds a 39.5 irok on it just fine.

If somone is saying that the strength of the mounts for the rear bumper arent strong enough to hold a tire carrier, then it wont work in recovery whre your pulling on it with another 2k lb vehicle. I call BS.

rmcnabb

Perkins Performance -
I love that bumper/carrier. Who made that?

Thanks for all the help. I'll also start trying to find the OEM item.

dlbrunner

Adventurer
The strength of the aftermarket bumpers isnt an issue. I had a aftermarket spare tire carrier on my runner with zero problems. As for factory, the swing out was discontinued in 91 I believe in favor of going under the truck. Behind the D pillar of the truck was extra bracing that was taken out when the carrier was discontinued. So no you cant put a 90 carrier on a 95 truck. BUT i have see an allpro bumper modified to fit a factory spare tire carrier, and it holds a 39.5 irok on it just fine.

If somone is saying that the strength of the mounts for the rear bumper arent strong enough to hold a tire carrier, then it wont work in recovery whre your pulling on it with another 2k lb vehicle. I call BS.

Ok.

Contact this guy and ask if he advises a spare tire carrier on a steel bumper.

http://www.sonoransteel.com/store_custom_bumpers.html

mrvoodoodaddy69

The 2nd generation has 2 different rear hatches. The one for the swing away tire carrier has reverse lights that are on each side of the tire.

rmcnabb

I've seen some dramatic failure photos and it seems that the OEM form (that is, bolted to the body) is the way to go. Local Toyota dealer parts dept. cannot find the item in their various catalogs. The search is on.

Thanks very much!

pray4surf

Explorer
Check out this thread...

http://www.yotatech.com/f2/4runner-swing-out-tire-carrier-can-attached-tacoma-168598/

I'm in possession of an OE swing-a-way tire carrier off of an earlier model 4Runner and been considering adapting it to my Tacoma

There are a few links in that thread re retorfitting the carrier to another 4Runner. See my post #21 on that Yotatech thread for the parts numbers for the internal bracing components.

Good luck and keep us posted...

Rick

bjowett

Adventurer
Search car-part.com 90 or 91 4-Runner, spare tire carrier, non interchange 90 - 91 4 Runner only, you'll get 3 pages of them. Don't forget you will need the bracket from the tailgate, and possibly the whole gate if you don't want to add bracing.

rmcnabb

Search car-part.com 90 or 91 4-Runner, spare tire carrier, non interchange 90 - 91 4 Runner only, you'll get 3 pages of them. Don't forget you will need the bracket from the tailgate, and possibly the whole gate if you don't want to add bracing.

:victory:
Thanks!!
:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven