99 Mitsubishi Montero Build and Q.

Vashcloud

Hey guys! Got my first 4x4 this past Christmas. I work in Dallas Tx, but call Washington state home. So I bought her and left her there with my family who currently only use her for SOS it snowed duty!

I actually run my own performance shop for cars, key word, cars. So I am new to the whole 4x4 community. I hope one day to expand to offroad vehicles but you have to start some where.

Its hard finding information on these trucks. I knew I wanted one the day I saw them and the more I have learned about them.

Mine is a 2.5 Gene, green with about 190XXX on the clock. I was told the motor was replaced before due to overheating and but no confirmation. Being a mechanic and just driving it, I can tell you it doesn't act like a vehicle with almost 200K miles.

I believe it has the "snow" package, as it has a front, rear and center Locking Diff. Adjustable suspension, leather interior etc. Got her for 3500$ from a used car lot in Brementon.

I have done some research but I do need help, its hard finding a lot of information on this truck.

So here is what i have learned, please correct me if I am wrong:

ARB doesn't make a bumper for this truck, however, i only see that the fenders where changed from the 92-96 model years....So i figure maybe I can make a ARB fit?

Tried finding weight reduction items like a CF hood to drop some weight to make room for the added weight Ill be making with bigger tires and so on after reading this good article:
http://www.overlandexpo.com/overlan...is-gross-vehicle-weight-rating-overrated.html

But so far none found, I can get CF hood made from a company i work with on cars. Would you guys recommend it?

Anyother thing is this motor is the 6G74, same as the one found in the 3rd generation Eclipse....therefore, i should be able to utilize mods (performance) for this truck as well right? I figured upping the power a bit could do good off road with added weight and all.

Would stainless steel headers be okay for going into rivers or so on? Or keep cast? What matters most in a 4x4? Torque over hp? How about final drive ratio or center diff ratio?

Thanks!

nckwltn

Explorer
welcome! I too have a '99. You'll want to check out 4x4wire.com, they have a very active montero community there. Also, look to mitsubishilinks.com for some other really great documentation.

I don't know if the engines are the same, but I would think that if the engine model code is the same (6G74), the performance mods should swap over. I would be interested in hearing what you find out. However, I haven't seen a lot of discussion in this area, and with the vehicle being 15 years old, I would expect it to be a topic of conversation. So there might not be any reasonable overlap.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Might be the same block, but not much else is the same, the engines do not even mount the same direction so your Eclipse parts idea wouldn't work. Stainless looks good on a street rod, but tend to crack once a cold splash of water hits. There are almost ZERO performance upgrades for these trucks unless you build your own like most end up doing, I think a few have even swapped over the manifolds from a 6g72 3si engine but can't confirm. While these are not fast or even quick by any means, they are very well built and ride well. Most of us bought a Montero as a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or even a 5th vehicle(speaking for myself) and own quicker cars that satisfy our desire to go faster when the need arises.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
Welcome to Expo.

I probably wouldn't bother with a carbon fiber hood, Im sure it wont be cheap, at most maybe you'll save 20Lb. Best solution to keep the weight down is to pack lighter.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Mitsubishi has an OEM aluminum hood, there are also fiberglass copies of this hood. Good luck! try T-style.ru they speak english also contact Sato from 4WDshop.com he speaks engrish, great guy but you'll have to be patient with communications.

1999-mitsubishi-pajero-evolution-suv-front-left_af336.jpg

Vashcloud

Thanks guys this information is great!

I did further research on the 6G7 block and I can get the camshafts and a few other components to work! But as the truck is in WA and I work in Dallas TX, I wont be able to experiment. But I will study the design to figure out how much to adjust timing and what cams are best. I've been playing around in the Australian forums. I only wanted to increase power to help over compensate for Gross vehicle mass.

Thanks @Grandpa imma use your build to help me do some stuff like the snorkel kit! I am glad a found a great group of guys!

Its going to be a slow process for me to here her were I want, as I will have to flight home to do my modifications (just don't trust my sister lol)

Vashcloud

10606551_10100396393326832_5209920662845368609_n.jpg

Just an update. It has been almost a year since I first got the Monty, went home to WA for labor day weekend. Checked on her, My sister has been driving. She is doing well but will need a new motor soon, seals are starting to smoke bad! But either way I love her.

This visit was for a job interview so I was solo, aka no wify. So I went on a few adventures! Washington state, the only place where in the same day you can: See the big city, climb a active volcano, go to the beach and drive on it, and explore the back woods! It was amazing and fun and I put the montero to the test in stock form! I had many FIRST! Including:

First Stuck and self recovery,
First Tow,
First Articulation,
First off road adventure,
First Beach day,
First mountain climb,

It was awesome. I love the monty and soon its about to get some hardcore love in the from of a wrench, arb bumper, tune, rack, lights, and tires!

http://instagram.com/vashcloud

10375101_10100396393291902_5453687488542051109_n.jpg

Last edited:

bryAWD

Observer
Nice Monty!! I love the green color. I had thought about the same thing when I saw it had a 6G!

I will just keep to modifying my 4G63 Mitsu's, and leave my Montero stock...

nckwltn

Explorer
if the valve seals are leaking (aka smoking) you don't need to replace the engine, you just need to do the valve seals. it isn't too difficult, just time consuming.

Here is a video I put together showing one of the valve seals being replaced.

limp_noodle

Adventurer
if you guys really feel like fabbing up some stuff....

MTTfront1.JPG

you'll need 2 rear manifold from a 3si + turbos, then fab up some stuff from there. Note you'll need an adapter for the d/s turbo to rotate it 180*

Jay Ayala

Explorer
She is doing well but will need a new motor soon, seals are starting to smoke bad!

Hi Vashcloud, nice truck. Its obvious you know your way around an engine. I like the video post that nckwltn made with that rope trick and the spring compression tool he used. He has a point about the seals needing to be replaced not necessarily a new engine.

I recently went through this myself on my 1989 3.0l engine. The setup is a little different to do the rope trick but the idea is the same. If you are going to change out those seals, I would suggest performing the rope trick, or using compressed air. I would also highly encourage you to either get new hydraulic lash adjusters or at least service them.

Here are some links you may find useful.
This gives you a good idea of the job in general and an alternative spring compressor tool. 1989 3.0l Valve Seal Replacement - Cylinder Heads Removed

This is a breakdown of the rope trick and how I did it for my 3.0l engine, yours is a 3.8l. 1989 3.0l Valve Seal Replacement - Rope Trick

This is how to service those hydraulic lash adjusters to avoid lifter ticking noise. 1989 3.0l - Servicing Your Hydraulic Lash Adjusters

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nckwltn

Explorer
Yes, replace lash adjusters for sure... it's likely that a few will fall apart when removing the rockers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven