Add-a-leaf, airbags, or Sumo Springs?

I have a DIY bed/storage setup in the back of my pickup (see signature for thread) and the rear suspension has started to sag. I've looked for the best solution to this problem, but most other sources I've found are for towing or hauling on pavement. I drive around with a medium amount of weight (300ish lbs?) in the bed at all times, but I need to balance highway driving with light off-roading. The truck is also my daily driver.

Does anyone have a recommendation on the best fix for an overland-style rig with a little sag? Should I add a leaf to my rear suspension? Or go with airbags? I've also seen products like SumoSprings or Timbren that are also intriguing.

Issues I see with each option:

Add-a-leaf: I'm worried that it will be too stiff or bouncy, and make rutted dirt roads a nightmare.

Airbags: I don't plan on adding on-board air, so I wouldn't be able to adjust pressure easily. I'm also worried about durability.

SumoSprings: Expensive, but seems like an interesting solution.

Has anybody else had to deal with this? What was your solution?

D45

Explorer
I had timbrens on my old F150 that worked really well......bought them used for under $100

Sumo springs have heard are softer and offer better ride characteristics. Maybe try to find a used set?

D

Deleted member 9101

You don't need "on board air" to run airbags. You can easily use a any small 12v compressor or even a bicycle pump.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Is the storage system always installed? Adding a leaf would be appropriate if the storage has increased your curb weight, e.g. matching the spring rate to the truck's tare.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
You don't need "on board air" to run airbags. You can easily use a any small 12v compressor or even a bicycle pump.

??

And as far as durability, no problems.

We had Firestone air bags on our old Chevy K2500 HD for about 13 years before we sold that truck, and we never had any failures...no problems with the air bags leaking, rubber drying and splitting, etc. And these airbags were on a truck that carried campers as big as 10’ long, did the unpaved Cassiar Hwy 2x, drove absolutely all over forest and mining roads all over our western US and Canadian mountains and deserts.

The truck spent it life, when parked (usually with a camper left on it), alternately either left outside in sub-freezing cold snow country or parked in the sun in the 100°+ desert.

And we never had any onboard compressor either.

Timbren

Supporting Sponsor
Our SES sytem can achieve everything you want and more. It's super easy to install, maintenance free, and backed by a lifetime warranty. Oh and we are always available to answer questions! Hope this helps and we would be happy to answer anything you might have.

Kpearson

I had a set of sumo springs on my work truck. Scared the jesus out of me when I went over frost heaves, the truck went up in the air enough to to get the revs on the engine up like I forgot to put it in gear. Add a leaf made the rear too high. But then this was all in a 2016 chevy 2500 pick up that carried a 1000 pound transport container.

halseyt

Air Ride bags on my 1990 w350 for 12 years with no problems. Had an Avion c10 and now a 9.5 Bigfoot camper. Lots of miles from socal to canada. Easy adjustment and a bicycle pump is all I use.

Choff

Adventurer
Have had Air Ride air bags on GMC Van for over 100,000 miles, single line air fill.
Love the adjustment and handling they provide.

4000lbsOfGoat

Is the storage system always installed? Adding a leaf would be appropriate if the storage has increased your curb weight, e.g. matching the spring rate to the truck's tare.
I'll second that. I have an ARE topper and Decked drawer system in my Tacoma and always carry a set of tools, recovery gear and basic outdoor gear. I have Icon RXT springs in the heaviest configuration, which is closer to "add-2-leaves". Since the extra weight is always on the truck the extra strength of the springs balances nicely. Clearly folks here have had good luck with air bags but they do introduce added complexity and will typically reduce articulation so keep that in mind.

If you know you're riding heavy then upgrading the bumpstops would also be a great idea. Timbren makes great products (I use their bumpstops up front) but you might also want to look into hydraulic bumps. I know I have bottomed out on mine because I can see the wear marks on the piston but I have never actually felt it bottom out.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'll second that. I have an ARE topper and Decked drawer system in my Tacoma and always carry a set of tools, recovery gear and basic outdoor gear. I have Icon RXT springs in the heaviest configuration, which is closer to "add-2-leaves". Since the extra weight is always on the truck the extra strength of the springs balances nicely. Clearly folks here have had good luck with air bags but they do introduce added complexity and will typically reduce articulation so keep that in mind.

If you know you're riding heavy then upgrading the bumpstops would also be a great idea. Timbren makes great products (I use their bumpstops up front) but you might also want to look into hydraulic bumps. I know I have bottomed out on mine because I can see the wear marks on the piston but I have never actually felt it bottom out.
Firm believer in matching springs to sprung weight. Air bags or overload springs like Timbrens would be nice in addition to the correct leaf pack to handle intermittent weight. Just that I prefer the suspension be dialed in. I completely understand that air springs are standard in trucks so they are perfectly suited but the application here wasn't designed that way.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I have sumo springs on the Chevy 2500. They reduce sag a little and did not affect ride/handling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk