Aero Fuel Tanks

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
Looks cool. $489 for a 26 gallon TJ tank is pretty good.

1997W.jpg

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Anyone have any experience with an Aero Fuel Tank?

I bought a 55 gal Aero Tank for my F350 in 2005. The build quality was so-so. The welded brackets were not welded in the exact right position, and it took quite a bit of shimming (up to 3/4") to make it fit. This made it hang lower than it should. It was not packaged very well and arrived with some minor damage (dents). Overall I would not buy another Aero Tank. Next time I would buy a Titan or Transferflow, however I don't think either of these companies makes tanks for Jeeps.
http://www.titanfueltanks.com/
http://www.transferflow.com/
Cheers
Mark

StaceyE

Observer
Have bought 3 Aero tanks for different Jeepsters, like previously mentioned the mounting brackets were not positioned as good as they could have been. I would still buy another one though.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Aero tanks is right down the hill from us. I took my Landcruiser down there and they didn't even want to look at it. Same thing for some magazine guys i know. Seems all they care about is the diesel dually trucks with bed tanks. I don't know, they acted like they didn't need the business.

Outdoor Logic

Supporting Sponsor
I just picked up a tank from them for a custom Jeep 4bt build. Welds are so-so.. But it seems like a great product and they were very friendly. I guess it depends on what day you call.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
When I lived in LA i took my CJ over there and they put a gas tank in. It is now 11 years old and no problems. 24+ gallons in a CJ7 is awesome.

cwsqbm

Explorer
Aero tanks is right down the hill from us. I took my Landcruiser down there and they didn't even want to look at it. Same thing for some magazine guys i know. Seems all they care about is the diesel dually trucks with bed tanks. I don't know, they acted like they didn't need the business.

I'd expect a similar problem with Transfer Flow because they're also in California. Transfer Flow has a big page of legalese on their website going into detail only a lawyer could love. I'd try a place like Boyd Welding for a custom application.

smbisig

Adventurer
Thanks for all the replies.

Seems like overall, people are happy with the tank itself. Think I am still going to give them a try.

JPK

Explorer
I like the Genrights, but they are only 20 gallon. If I am going to spend the money, I want a few extra gallons.

I hear you on tank capacity. I put an 18 gal auxilliary tank in my JKU and if I still drove my LJ more I think I'd bite on the Genright Safari tank at 31.5 gals or at least their Enduro at 26.5 gals.

JPK

jomobco

Now Decanter
I've got the aero on my 88 yj and the mounts were fine. I've had it now for 7 plus years. No problems. I've found them to be short and a bit rude on the phone however.

Dave Bandel

Looks cool. $489 for a 26 gallon TJ tank is pretty good.

1997W.jpg

I had this same tank on my TJ. I ended up taking it off and putting ther 19 gallon stocker back on with the Kilby Enterprises skidplate. The Aero tank hangs too low and bangs on every rocky trail (this is on a TJ with 5.5" lift and 35" tires). Eventually, the welds cracked on the seams and on the mounting brackets, which where repaired twice. The last time it leaked I ended up doing a "field expedient" repair with a bar of soap and some J-B Weld - until the new OEM tank arrived.

I have a 5.2L V8 in my TJ so the extra fuel was nice, but it wasn't worth the problems with a trail-driven Jeep. I think one of their tanks would probably work fine on my Dodge Cummins Mega-Cab 4x4, which is mainly a tow vehicle, but not on an off-road vehicle.

-David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven