Affordable rear bumper with tire carrier for 2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5?

Grants041

Hello all, this is my first post on the forum so I just wanted to say hi. Also, I just got a 4Runner and I have been looking around the Internet and cannot seem to find what I was looking for, so I figured I would come here. I really, really want a rear bumper with a tire carrier for my car because I think it would be an awesome addition, but there are not that many out there to begin with and the ones that are are incredibly expensive. I just want one that will not cost me more than $1000 (if possible). If you know of where I can find one, please help! Thanks, Grant

Benc

Explorer
I don't think you will be able to find one in that price range unless you find a used one. Bumpers with swing outs are very expensive to even build your self! Here is one I built for a 4Runner and I have about $800 just in materials. I would sell this bumper for around $2200.
One thing I will say is you don't want to skimp on the hardware for the tire carrier!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447652945.729744.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1447653023.613624.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Xrunner

Explorer
Have you considered keeping an eye out for a used one?

You could always buy one without a tire carrier, use it for a while, and then have a local fab shop add one one as time and funds allow.

diggerline59

Enginerd
The only one out there in your price range that I've been able to find, is from relentless fabrication, but they have to build it on your 4runner in their shop. Other than that, you're looking at CBI or 4X4Labs, which are close to 3-4 times your budget, when fully outfitted. Since my spare tire doesn't fit under the body anymore, I'm just mounting it on a hitch mount tire carrier like the one until I can buy the bumper/tire carrier: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YIE1O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 until I can buy the bumper/tire carrier.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
$800 delivered falls into the hitch gate tire carrier. If your in LA you can save on shipping costs. I like mine. Simple set up I would toss it on the LC for long trips. Rattle free set up its pretty good kit for the money. A full on custom bumper was $1200 and up. I didnt wantvto spend that, and the ability to easily pull it off or use it on other trucks has been nice. Its a good alternative. Built by wilco

Grants041

Hey Diggerline59, Do you think it would be possible to weld that tire carrier thing to an aftermarket rear bumper?

BlairB

Observer
I am getting my 4x4 Labs installed on Wednesday- shoot me a PM if you are interested in a CBI fold down tire carrier, it served me well when I was waiting on getting a rear bumper!

Xrunner

Explorer
Where do you think I could find a used one?

I would keep an eye on craigslist and local 4wd/offroad club forum's for sale locally section.

TTORA has state specific forums, which might be a good starting place. You can also look back through old posts and get an idea of what has sold for how much.

Last edited:

BlairB

Observer
I would keep an eye on craigslist and local 4wd/offroad club forum's for sale locally section. TTORA has state specific forums, which might be a good starting place.

+1.

Also, check out toyota120.com and t4r.org. It is rare that used 4th gen bumpers come up for sale, but it does happen from time-to-time.

diggerline59

Enginerd
Hey Diggerline59, Do you think it would be possible to weld that tire carrier thing to an aftermarket rear bumper?

If you welded it to a rear bumper, you'd have to make sure you did it with a swing arm or a folding mechanism to clear the rear gate, but it should be possible. The metal on it seems plenty thick and strong enough for it. I've been planning on drilling it out to mount on something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Heavy-Duty-Hitch-Adapter/dp/B00RCJ0F7A/ref=pd_sim_263_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=41mdtwsCqeL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0P9FDWT3ED78YNVG2K81 basically making it a poor man's tiregate or cbi carrier, but it's been working well enough as is.

One thing that you don't really get a sense of in the pictures is how short it is... I'll try to find a picture of it on my 4runner for a sense of scale

ETA: Here it is

20150906_135626.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL