All around kayaks...

1speedlos

Observer
I know there's going to be compromises, but my wife and i are looking for a couple of kayaks for our tour of North America. We're new to it, but we'd like to find boats that would allow us to run class III+ stuff (after instruction, of course!) but still tool around on flat water.
Any suggestions?

Carlos

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
My take is you need to pick one or the other. A kayak that is good for class III water is not going to track very well on flat water. If your flat water travels are less than a mile it really should not matter. In this case I would go for the river boat that fits your size and needs best.

Another analogy, your asking for a downhill mountain bike that works well on the road. Yes the mountain bike will work on the road but you would not want to pedal this 40 pound bike very far.

My take is by the best kayak for what you really intend to do. This in the long run will bring more enjoyment to the sport. When I started out Kayaking in 92 I went straight to a fiberglass sea kayak. I am still paddling today! Those that chose to purchase a short plastic sit on top for a tour kayak have probably moved on to different hobbies.

Good Luck!

paulj

Expedition Leader
If you are thinking about boats for a long, cross country trip, there are a few things to consider:
- will you be leaving the vehicle unattended for significant periods of time? Boat theft is not a trivial issue.

- paddling rivers, and especially ones with rapids, requires some sort of shuttle to get you and the boats back to your starting point. For a couple with one vehicle, and both wanting to paddle, that can be difficult to arrange. Signing up with a tour company that provides both boats and shuttle could be worth while.

- are you thinking about longer paddles, possible on the ocean, where a long, faster boat would be a big advantage?

- or is your paddling most likely to be after dinner tours of the lake you have camped by? A decent inflatable is my boat of choice for this type of paddling.

cjmitchell5

Adventurer
I like mine. Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 sit-on, it's designed more as a fishing platform but I've had it in everything from fast rivers, flat lakes, swamps, and north shore surf. I've also used my wife's boat a few times, Wilderness Systems Tsunami 120 sit-in. A little small for me, cramped cockpit, and on the aforementioned north shore surf I discovered when a sit in kayak fills with water it doesn't work well. :)

Ask Nullifier on here, he's the kayak guru.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
What you are really interested in is called a crossover kayak, Typically these yaks are about 12'. They feature a med size cockpit with thigh braces a fair amount of rocker with a retractible skeg in the stern to help tracking in flat water. Most will feature a stern hatch and bulkhead for flotation and storage however I reccomend a bow floatation bag as well.

here are a few links

dagger Black water 12

Prion Yukon

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
If you are intent on paddling class III water then there is really no choice but to go with a river kayak. There are longer river kayaks that would be fine for 1-2 day flat water trips, I dont know of any sea kayaks that would perform well on a river. The risks of using a touring kayak on a river are much greater than using a river kayak on flat water.

Prijon used to make a pretty good compromise kayak, longer with storage space an tracked pretty good.

Dagger is another company to look at. There are tons of kayak makers now compared to even a few years ago. I have a feeling that after some instruction you are going to get hooked on whitewater kayaking, it is so much fun and very addictive.

Have fun.

Doh!!! Sorry I see Nulifier recomended the same.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I think Nullifier's recommendations are good. Years ago, my wife and I owned Phoenix Isere's. It was a touring kayak capable or running wide open Class III but not that good on technical Class III, so it kind of depends on what kind of Class III water you are running.
If you're thinking of buying used, old school plastic river boats are available very cheaply and might fit the bill. You can pick up Perception Quests or similar old high volume river boats for $50-100. Adapt a skeg and you have an acceptable lake/sea boat although not something you'd want to paddle long distances.

dnellans

Adventurer
I have a 13 foot ocean kayak prowler sit on top. I regularly use this for lake fishing, I have also done 5 days flat water tours down the Green river in southern utah on it. Its long enough that its acceptable for paddling into the wind, and tracking on a lake. I have no problem running it straight through class II riffles and dragging it against rocks if need-be in the shallows. I've only taken it through what i would call "moderate" class III's and without some sort of thigh straps I wouldn't recommend anyone try and take a sit on top with gear through anything particularly technical. If its a rapid that you can shoot fairly straight through, you're fine as long as you don't mind getting wet but a 13+ foot boat just isn't meant to turn fast to avoid obstacles. The real decision when using a boat like this is that any kayak carrying "stuff" for a tour - if you dunk you're going to be unhappy, end of story.

I'd definitely recommend a 12/13 foot sit on top for general purpose paddling and some touring where you might not want to take a more fragile but faster fiberglass sea kayak. but i wouldn't want to be paddling still water for more than a few days in mine, if you've got flat 2-3mph rivers helping then you can go for a long time in a boat this size/girth

wesel123

Explorer

cjmitchell5

Adventurer
coming from pure river boats to my sit-on, I'm very pleased. I've been surprised how stable it is w/ thigh straps and my more importantly more comfortable and my legs get tanned :D

compactcamping

Explorer
If you want to go the hardshell route, I like the Prijon Combi 359
combi-s.jpg

Combi-t.jpg

If you are thinking a packable one, look at the Aire Tibutary Sawtooth
Sawtooth.jpg

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
If you want to go the hardshell route, I like the Prijon Combi 359
combi-s.jpg

Combi-t.jpg

If you are thinking a packable one, look at the Aire Tibutary Sawtooth
Sawtooth.jpg

The prijon looks like a nice boat is the stern fitted with a Drop skeg. It looks like that from the pic. Prijon has always made great boats. I like the way there boats come out stiff due to the blow modling process rather then roto

compactcamping

Explorer
The Combi 359 does have an optional skeg available. I've owned a few Prijons over the year, nice boats and very comfortable seats.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I agree that blowmolded plastics are much stiffer and better than rotomolded. I have blowmolded and rotomolded barrels and the blowmolded are much stronger. I also have a couple of Prijon Seayaks. Very nice but not a class III boat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3