Ambulance Conversion (and other trucks) - Did it work?

cynical42

So you bought an ambulance and converted it to a 4x4 RV of sorts hopefully with some unimproved if not off-road capability. Did it work? Did it serve the purpose you had hoped? Where did you go? Where did you try to go and couldn't? What did you break? How is the frame doing? How is that seal between the box and cab? Did it stay upright? What limits did you push it to? Did it sink in everything or did you have some success airing down the tires? Was that winch big enough? Did you need a 3rd high lift jack? Please share. Where did you go that no regular RV would/could have gone?

I am in the middle of just such a build and people invariably think I have some misconception that I will be able to take this thing down 4x4 only trails and perhaps do some rock crawling. There are thousands of miles of road between 4x4 only to the start of where you wouldn't take an RV. I am well past the too late to turn back now stage, but would really like to have some idea of what I am in for. I think I have a pretty realistic idea of where I can and can't go...I hope. My motto is: If I can get 'there', I want to camp 'there'. I realize that I will see my share of RV parks and campgrounds, but I don't want to be restricted to those places.

As it now sits, 98 Chevy 3500K ambulance, 6.5L diesel (less than ideal motor but it only had 12K on a new crate mortor that cost more than I paid for the truck). Just added: dana 60 sfa, dana 70 srw w/ detroit locker, 4.56 gears, sway bar back on front only and 37" military tires on beadlocks (need to replace the tires soon, but wil do for the moment), just enough lift to clear the tires. I pick it up from the builder in a couple of weeks and will head out on some test runs to get a better idea of what to do with the interior. If it doesn't work, I'll pull the box and have a decent 1-ton flat bed if I don't shred it first finding out the limits. I would like to know what limits anyone else pushed and some pics of non-RV locals you went.

Cheers and thanks. I'll have to figure out pics soon.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
You might have more luck in the Domestic Full-size section as that where all the folks driving Chevy's, Ford's, Dodge's and such hang out. Also, there are a lot of ambulance conversions in the 4WD/2WD Van forum as well so you might look in there too.

Great looking rig by the way.

bdog1

Adventurer
There's tons of Ambo builds here! With 37's, I'm betting you can do plenty of exploring! I'm just tuffing it out with an EB van, but I don't think the dirt is smart enough to know the difference. There's also places it won't go but that's true of everything but a donkey. Hopefully an Ambo guy will check in.....
qyberejy.jpg

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

I have been very pleased with my MegAmbo. Show the skeptics this...
7y3a2uqy.jpg

And for what it's worth of the two other customer Ambos I've built, both are very pleased with theirs!

This one-
aha9aha7.jpg
uhy8y4u2.jpg
hytera2y.jpg
sute4usy.jpg

And this one- sleeps five kids and two adults-
u2u2emuz.jpg
uhavybaz.jpg
tu6azebu.jpg
7erube4u.jpg

So, in all I'd say they work pretty well as campers, you're not crazy.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
************** Justin!
Does the white TypeIII standard module box have an 8" lift? Know if he has any issues with the longer wheelbase vs your MiniMod?

cjken

Explorer
Are those stock h1 rims? I'm running those on mine at the moment they are perfect up front with dually hubs. I may have to do something on the rear to get the track width to match up. Not sure I want to run spacers. May need to get some military rims re-centered or run standard 16.5 rims on rear.
I could still carry just 1 standard h1 rim and tire as a spare.
Have to come up with a plan for when I get back to my project this spring.

************** Justin!
Does the white TypeIII standard module box have an 8" lift? Know if he has any issues with the longer wheelbase vs your MiniMod?

It has a 6" Ujoint kit on it and 35s. He hasn't done enough wheeling in it to have had wheelbase issues. IMO though the full size Ambos are to large to really wheel where as the mini mods are basically square back eb vans.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
The Fitzabago Phase I complete.

I like it! What you have there is a homemade EarthRoamer at a fraction of the cost. I would add some lift to the rear, but otherwise you are good to go, IMHO. You might consider ramping the rear of the box if you end up dragging. Check out this thread for an example.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
It has a 6" Ujoint kit on it and 35s. He hasn't done enough wheeling in it to have had wheelbase issues. IMO though the full size Ambos are to large to really wheel where as the mini mods are basically square back eb vans.

Wow nice job on the interiors jmarquand. Some of the best interior conversions I have seen.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge

Looks good with the 6"/35s. M/M ambo for sure!

cjken

Explorer
How do you get the spare on the roof of the white wide box ambo???
I can't imagine that being easy.
Thanks

How do you get the spare on the roof of the white wide box ambo???
I can't imagine that being easy.
Thanks

It's not as hard as you'd think. MegAmbo has a 37" spare on the roof. I don't have to put it up there often but when I do I just put a strap through it and pull it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk