Another M1102 trailer rack build thread...

TeamAnvil

Since I got help from the community in my design and materiel selections I feel its only proper to share (over-share lol) with you all where this is going.

I bought my trailer about three years ago and have loved it every time I take it out. I always wanted a rack for it and considered several commercial options from modified truck racks, to ladder/surf style racks to the overly engineered and ridiculously expensive Leitner ACS truck rack. If you haven't seen the vid you should check it out I'll have to admit this was a huge inspiration in my design and confirmed a few things I already had in my head.

The main goal of my design is to carry stuff, not so much to "live in" so a great rack (lol) and storage is a top priority. I already have a 40 gal. fresh water tank installed, a pump and accumulator to follow. I have a 2000 watt solar set up (panels, controller, inverter and battery). The system will more than likely be hard wired into the trailer but the panels will be "remote." A RTT will come soon when the rack is complete along with a 180 or 270 degree awning. Roll-out drawers for storage, kitchen, etc. are also in the plan. I also happened to have the bulk of the tubing available from a previous job that cost me nothing.

Starting with the corners I choose cold rolled steel plate at .25" thick. I bought 8" wide plate and cut them down in my band saw. I recently rebuilt the coolant system and the cuts came out great. From there I marked and drilled the plates to use the rivet-nuts installed at the factory. The angle cuts where done with a plasma cutter then cleaned up with a grinder and large sanding disk. To tie the corners in I used 2.5" x .25" cold rolled steel bar. To make the perimeter frame even all the way around the sides and front I added 2" x .125" bar sections underneath. I could have sourced .375 thick steel for the sides but didn't want the extra weight and I already purchased the .25" bar and didn't want it sitting around for years.

The uprights are 1.5" x 3" .070" wall rectangle tube. The first part is ~9" tall and cuts back 20 degrees into the trailer. This follows the outline of the Leitner GeardPOD's and will replicate the look of the ACS rack when done. The rack will hold four GearPOD DUAL's. You can see where I am at with this below. Later today I hope to tack weld the verticals in and get the cross bars figured out.

Attachments

• IMG_6498.jpeg
    IMG_6498.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6501.jpeg
    IMG_6501.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6514.jpeg
    IMG_6514.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6523.jpeg
    IMG_6523.jpeg