Another tire thread for my 04 SE R50

PrecisionX

Observer
Alright well I've decided to go with 245/75/16s on stock ride height, mud-flap delete and a little scissor work makes them work fine apparently BUT! Now we're on to which one is the best for the money?

The terrain:

New England, mud, rocks, trails, grass, snow... everything? It's NOT a dry place, very hummid up here and sometimes we wonder where the sun is because it rains quite a bit, unpredictably.

Hankook Dyna Pro ATM $130 (this can't be right)

Toyo Open Country AT2 $168

General Grabber AT2 $158

Goodyear DuraTrac $179 (but I've seen some in the same size that are $200 each?)

Cooper Discovery ST-Maxx $192

I obviously want the best bang for buck... I also forgot the Nitto Terra Grappler AT I think...

I want the most versitile, best bang for buck, good looks obviously and that is about it.

Lecoq

Explorer
I've had Duratracs last year and they perform well but are noisy on the roads and don't seem to last very long. I'm running BFGoodrich Ta/Ko and I'm really happy with the overall performance and cost. I would recommend them to anyone.

I have been on a few trail runs with guys running General Grabber AT2 and they seem to perform quite well.

PrecisionX

Observer
Tread wear is pretty important, especially considering this isn't a hardcore rig and it is my daily driver... not to mention how much more the DuraTracs cost over the rest.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
I just put a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3s on my Frontier and love them. I also had a set on my 99 4Runner and they still looked absolutely brand new when I sold it with 15k miles on them. Cooper warrants them for 55k miles, so I expect them to have a pretty lengthy life. They may not be quite as aggressive as what you're looking for, but I find them to be just right. Check em out!

PrecisionX

Observer
I just put a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3s on my Frontier and love them. I also had a set on my 99 4Runner and they still looked absolutely brand new when I sold it with 15k miles on them. Cooper warrants them for 55k miles, so I expect them to have a pretty lengthy life. They may not be quite as aggressive as what you're looking for, but I find them to be just right. Check em out!

How much do those go for? Pricing is as important as performance to me. Considering the Pathfinder is stock ride height the tires are the most important thing for off-road capability enhancement in my case.

duckhunter71

Adventurer
I gave $180/ea for them mounted and balanced here locally. discounttiredirect.com has them for $170/ea with free delivery. Mine are the C-Load 6 ply. You can get the passenger rated one for under $150, but that may be too light duty for your needs. They're not the cheapest tire, but the guy that sold them to me considered them a premium A/T when compared to some of the cheaper options.

Oh and I also meant to add that I was still able to get over 20 mpg in my 4Runner with them and I don't think my mileage has decreased any in the Frontier, either. I got 18 mpg going 80 on the interstate this past weekend and also putting around at a wildlife refuge, so I feel like my normal 21-22 mpg on 2 lane highways will not have been reduced.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky
I have had Duratracs on my Xterra for 2 years and have put 20k on them and they hardly show wear..
They are a great all season tire.. Be of both worlds.. Look awesome and not too bad on the road..

Any more aggressive tire you add is going to be a little louder vs street tires.. KO's are not a quiet tire either..

Slicky72

Adventurer
I vote for the Toyo AT2 although they have not been around long enough to see if they will last as long as they are warranted for. I love em !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven