Anti Theft Window Guards

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Does anyone know a place in USA that makes anything? I've seen many people make their own..out of metal shelving, but i was wondering if there was some company out there?

Typically their metal cross bars that bolt to the outside of the windows or the inside frame. Almost like a cargo barrier.. but for your window. You guys know what im talking about...

Anyways, I can't find anything on the web, but im probably searching the wrong words.

For those of you that have made your own.... can you post up pics and what you used for materials? Also, please post how you mounted it... did you drill straight into the body/window frame etc? If you used self tapers.... what did you do to prevent rusting? anything?

I'd really like to get a set made up, or make my own for our rear 80 series sliding windows (commone entry for theft).

thanks for any input guys

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Graham and Connie have some uber nice custom guards on their 110...I'm not sure how they're attached. I haven't found any for Land Cruisers...so I think you're kinda on your own...

-H-

Sloan

Explorer
There is a guy running around Santa Monica with a pretty cool set, if I can I'll get you some pics.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Sloan said:
There is a guy running around Santa Monica with a pretty cool set, if I can I'll get you some pics.

That would be nice if you could. Yeah i figure i'll end up making my own.. but i wanted to see everyone elses first so i can get ideas.

adrenaline503

Explorer
So I looked around real quick and found the following links. The first on has a variety of clips used for gratings. I imagine you could weld on studs and use them, or maybe use a "nut cert" system. I don't know exactly wow it works, but its like a rivet gun that puts in a brass, threaded collar.

http://www.gclips.com/

The second is a link to the actual gratings. Maybe a fiberglass product would be better since its lighter.

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/Metal_Grating.html

Anyway, I have nothing but time for the next week so I'll keep looking.

gjackson

FRGS
Graham and Connie have some uber nice custom guards on their 110...

Yep, custom made by Connie's dad over a design drawn by her mom. They did a great job, and of everything on the truck they get the most compliments. The side window bars are attached to the roll cage. The rear ones are on the inside screwed to the window frame.

i1_wprhs.jpg

i1_wpr.jpg

Not hard to make if you have a lot of time, patience, metal working tools and talent!

cheers

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
gjackson said:
Yep, custom made by Connie's dad over a design drawn by her mom.

WOW! What a great job!!
A perfect way to have additional security, without looking like a Mad Max 'EOTWAWKI' vehicle. Althought now the security guards are the 'high theft items'.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Depending on how you want it to look, you have a bunch of options..

galvanised steel fencing
perforated steel or aluminum sheet
bar's
Molle panels

or of course the wonderful arty version as seen above

For me I've mounted them exterior and interior before, I prefer the interior mounted solution. no rust..

and you can hang equipment of them if they are rugged enough, it does not however stop them breaking the glass.

Exterior gives a visual deterent.......but I did'nt think SOCAL was so bad :jump:

tangigrey2.jpg

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
UK4X4 said:
Exterior gives a visual deterent.......but I did'nt think SOCAL was so bad :jump:

It's not all that bad. Basically im bored.. and need a couple projects :D

The truck usually hides in a warehouse anyways. Would be a plus if we left the vehicle un-attended for any length of time. That's all.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
lowenbrau said:
Another option is those films that make smash and grabs very difficult. You need to remember though that what keeps the bad guys out will also keep you in. That can suck if you roll in even a fairly shallow mud hole.
Here is a promo video from shatter safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXYamKMSlm4
Very cool product!
However, this wouldn't work for us, ours is a sliding glass window. They can just slide the window open still. Im trying to prevent them from sliding the window open. That might be a good option for the rest of the windows and then carry a glass cutter in the rig.

wierbeard

i know this is an older post, but am looking to see what anyone has come up with. I've found that there are a few law enforcement window barriers that could be modified to fit the 80 series LC, but they fit on the inside, so access to the sliding window is not capable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy