Any recommendations on a multi-too off-road kit?

Any recommendations on a multi-too off-road kit?

Hi-Lift Handle-All: 4 Tools in 1 (HA-500)
Full-Sized Shovel Head, Sledge Hammer Head, Axe Head, Pick-axe Head with Telescoping Handle
http://www.hi-lift.com/handle-all/index.html

Rugged Ridge All Terrain Recovery Tool Kit
The multi tool kit includes a steel handle and easily interchangeable tool heads including: a full size Shovel, Axe, 4lb Sledge Hammer, and Pickaxe.
http://www.ruggedridgeoffroad.com/jeep-recovery-accessories.php

MAX Ax Multi Purpose Tool
Each MAX Set Includes:
Ax - Shovel - Pick - Mattock
Broad Pick - Rake - Hoe
Heavy Duty Carrying Case
Quality Leather Ax Sheath
34" Fiberglass Poly Handle
http://www.edisastersystems.com/store/max-ax-multi-purpose-tool-pr-274.html

wjeeper

I really like the High-lift set up. In fact I just basically copied it by using some broken tools from my dads old landscaping business. Took a shovel and a maul with broken handles, welded on a short piece of scrap pipe where the old handle use to be and now use the high-lift handle. Same basic idea, but just using what junk I had laying around...........

Not really a suggestion or answer to your quesiton I guess:sombrero:

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I'm quite fond of my Hi-Lift Handle-All, though admittedly I have never used it on the trail. I use it all the time around the house for odd jobs, quality and construction are top notch.

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
Anybody used the Rugged Ridge All-Terrain Tool Kit? I've seen it priced for as low as $90.00, which leads me to think it may be a screaming deal or possibly a cheap and dangerous piece of junk.... or of course somewhere in between.

The Rugged Ridge® All Terrain Recovery Tool Kit is perfect multi function companion for off-roading, camping, or hunting. The multi tool kit includes an ergonomic steel handle and easily interchangeable tool heads including: a full size Shovel, Axe, 4lb Sledge Hammer, and Pickaxe. It is the perfect tool kit for cutting, digging or whatever your next adventure may require. It can be stowed easily in any vehicle, but is still rugged enough for the toughest of jobs. Includes a durable storage tote to keep your vehicles interior clean.

PS: Old threads never die!

6x6pinz

Adventurer
I use the Hi lift version and it has worked out well. I modified my Hi Lift jack handle to fit the tools so it is one piece in lieu of the two piece set up but that was easy enough. The Hi Lift set up is only $120 but I have no comparison to the Rugged Ridge tool kit, just one is available locally and the other was not.

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
Thanks 6x6pinz. I've read lots of good stuff about the Handle-All and the Max-Ax kits but have zero reviews of the Rugged Ridge set-up. I'm leaning towards the Handle-All right now... though part of me thinks I should just stick with my medium sized shovel and hatchett and save my money. Will I need a sledge? Will I need a full-sized axe? For that matter, do I need even half of the expo/off-road gear that I think of purchasing? :sombrero:

Then again, that one time 20 miles in the wilderness with my family that I do need a tool and don't have it... well, that sucks.

6x6pinz

Adventurer
ever needed a big hammer to do some impromptu body work on the trail or drive a recovery point into some solid earth? The sledge head also makes a great anvil when nothing else is around. I would think living in WA a full size axe would be a must right next to a very good saw. The stock pinzgauers come with shovels, which I changed out for a full size regular shovel and there is an axe factory mounted at the feet of the passengers. I figure if I have two shovels the passengers can help with recovery also:)

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
Sure, I understand why people carry them, it's just that I'm often on Eastern Washington trails that don't have many trees to block the way or run into.

046.jpg034.jpg

If I did suffer major body damage (pretty unlikely given the Fischer-Price roads I've been exploring), I suppose I'd have to make due with shovel, Hi-Lift and hatchet to pry, pound and cut.

I hope it didn't sound like I was disparaging a sledge and axe. I'm just not sure that I personally really need 'em and I'm trying to resist my natural tendency to collect massive quantities of gear.

That being said, I'd say there is a 75% chance I'll end up buying the Handle-All or similar because it may come in handy and also because I LIKE STUFF. :wings:

Last edited:

Cee-Jay

Sasquatch
I was thinking about being the guinea pig that test drives the Rugged Ridge Took Kit, but I think I'll pass and go with the Handle-All or build a kit myself. Though I still haven't found any reviews on the Rugged Ridge Took Kit product, there are some reviews of the company's "Truck/SUV Recovery Gear Kit" on Amazon. If the perceived quality of the Recovery Gear Kit is an indicator of the All-Terrain Tool Kit, then it's probably not the best way to go. It appears that the Recovery Gear Kit has several very low quality near useless items in it (terrible gloves, damper and storage bag) and "good for the price point" seems to be about the best praise for the straps, shackles, etc. It's not encouraging to hear folks share that the tree strap started fraying immediately but has held up great so far... that just sounds scary to me.

6x6pinz

Adventurer
Not pushing more gear but if that was where I had to wheel I would get a Pull Pal winch anchor. The sledge would come in handy for setting it into the ground

I went with the Black Rat recovery kit along with the Black Rat hand recovery winch. Both have been used many times to recover others and they still look and work great. the winch is a bit slower than an electric or PTO winch but it always works and with seven different offroad vehicles I did not want the investment of winches on all of them. I had far too many electric winches fail, sometimes from a simple relay but still a pain when in the middle of a recovery. The PTO did not appeal to me after a friend sunk his truck in a river and would not run so the winch was worthless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven