Anyone running a bronco?

Rubicon51

Observer
Just wanted to see some pics of fullsize bronco's. I'm building a bronco for my trail rig. I'd like to see what you guys have done to your bronco for some ideas. How do you think the bronco performs as a trail/camping rig?

Thanks

Stan the Man

Adventurer
Broncos suck!

Do a quick search, there's a fairly large thread with these answers out there. You can also look at my build thread...as well as a couple others that are on here.

pcampbell

Adventurer
My .02...

The bronco is a great platform as you get a solid chassis, good motor/tranny selection, a good wheelbase with good maneuverability, and a great aftermarket. Solid axle swaps for the TTB are super easy if you go all out. Rear suspension mods are very easy. (i.e. shackle flip)

There are some cons though...

- they are wide, but they do turn sharp.
- two doors get old.
- top is removeable, and soft tops are an option, but the top is HEAVY. Not a five minute job.
- the TTB eats tires for breakfast. SAS is easy enough though. The extended radius arm TTB kits do make a difference in the positive direction, but tires just don't have much of a chance with the camber changing constantly.
- trying to find one that isn't completely clapped out is a challenge...but that seems true of many desirable expo platforms these days.

But parts are super easy to find (same as F150) and they just aren't too hard to expo out.

All in all, I miss my '96 with a passion. :( This was its last big trip before I sold it:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19869

A wealth of knowledge:
http://fullsizebronco.com/
http://www.broncolinks.com/index.php

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
- the TTB eats tires for breakfast. SAS is easy enough though. The extended radius arm TTB kits do make a difference in the positive direction, but tires just don't have much of a chance with the camber changing constantly.

Common misconception here... If you know how to PROPERLY set-up a lifted TTB system you can get the articulation/stability/tire wear of any solid axle rig, along with the comfort of a "true" IFS rig... Getting all the geometry right IS a little more work, but in the end the TTB is superior (IMO) to any other suspension system for the here intended purposes...

pcampbell

Adventurer
Common misconception here... If you know how to PROPERLY set-up a lifted TTB system you can get the articulation/stability/tire wear of any solid axle rig, along with the comfort of a "true" IFS rig... Getting all the geometry right IS a little more work, but in the end the TTB is superior (IMO) to any other suspension system for the here intended purposes...

well there you have it. :victory:

78Bronco

Explorer
The width is a pro and a con. It improves stability with a short wheelbase and tight turning radius but could be unfriendly to Jeep size trails. I would rather have the extra width, interior space, capacity and stability.

TTB is pretty good with a mild lift and extended radius arms.

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer
The width is a pro and a con. It improves stability with a short wheelbase and tight turning radius but could be unfriendly to Jeep size trails. I would rather have the extra width, interior space, capacity and stability.

TTB is pretty good with a mild lift and extended radius arms.

I agree, I've run into a space problem in my SWB Explorer... Looking for a 4-door model now, but I love the turning radius of the 2-door...

chasespeed

Explorer
I will second the TTB....

When set up right, I think its just about the perfect compromise in a front end. Never had a problem eating tires, or anything.

I loved my bronco.. got rid of it to justify my Super Duty... Only thing I DIDNT like about it, it was could be a pain getting the kids buckled in the back seat. Other than that...it would go anywhere, came factory with 4.10s, and front and rear limited slip, etc.... probably the least modified vehicle I have ever owned.

I will say a 4inch lift, the Rancho Kit, will give you the best bang for the buck, longer radius arms, re-enforced brackets, etc.

If you can spend the money, get a front end from Camburg, or AutoFab, and you will see what these trucks are REALLY capable of.. but, the Rancho kit will do you just fine....

Chase

EDIT, in fact, I loved and miss that truck so much, I am looking for another......

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
As I've stated befor eon this topic, the quality of the damping is solely responsible for this urban legend. Put cheap shocks on an otherwise sound TTB and you'll get those results. Put quality monotubes on it and you will not.

Stan the Man

Adventurer
My .02...

The bronco is a great platform as you get a solid chassis, good motor/tranny selection, a good wheelbase with good maneuverability, and a great aftermarket. Solid axle swaps for the TTB are super easy if you go all out. Rear suspension mods are very easy. (i.e. shackle flip)

There are some cons though...

- they are wide, but they do turn sharp.
- two doors get old.
- top is removeable, and soft tops are an option, but the top is HEAVY. Not a five minute job.
- trying to find one that isn't completely clapped out is a challenge...but that seems true of many desirable expo platforms these days.

But parts are super easy to find (same as F150) and they just aren't too hard to expo out.

Good points. Your truck looked nice. I don't agree with the alignment thing though. I've never had a problem with the ttb eating my tires, probably because I took the time to replace the ball joints and TRE's. Also, its not the camber that is dynamic on these trucks, its the TOE. Which is why if your steering linkage is shot, your tires don't stand a chance. Its also not the ttb's fault for this problem, but rather Ford's awful attempt at steering linkage.

I agree. It does take work to get it good, but once its there, you're set. A lifetime alignment at Firestone is nice to have though. I've actually got the best alignment results by adjusting everything myself, test driving, and re-adjusting.

As I've stated befor eon this topic, the quality of the damping is solely responsible for this urban legend. Put cheap shocks on an otherwise sound TTB and you'll get those results. Put quality monotubes on it and you will not.

I don't think the shock have anything to do with people having bad steering. Quality shocks will make or break a ride though. So far Bilstein 5100's are the BEST direct replacement out there for these trucks. The valving is perfect in the quad shock setup. Its not like every other company where they send you two shocks with exactly the same valving that they spend no R&D into (making your ride overly stiff and lousy).

Bilstein has digressive valving, meaning the harder the hit, the more valving you'll have. They also run the main shock and you're every day comfort shock, capable of handling 95% of all bumps you'll see. The aux shock has completely different valving than the main shock and is inactive until you take a big hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cilNY2_Qd8

Here's a couple threads:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33408&highlight=full+size+bronco
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31607

ExplorerExplorer

Adventurer

Having a properly set-up steering system is the #1 way to have a happy TTB... Ford's piece of junk OEM inverted Y set-up is barely adequate for a stock height vehicle... Now, try and lift your vehicle and then you have big problems...

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
built a few...if yer keepin the ttb...35's your max reliable size tire..bigger starts breakin stuff...

most dont need lifted to fit them...just a trim and maybe a 2in bodylift...we've trimmed and fit 36's...

IF you want to lift them...get the class 2 systems with the new radius arms...its a MUCH nicer setup...

and a super-runner steering will keep the bumpsteer and alignment much nicer..

chasespeed

Explorer
Honestly, that Superlift Super runner steering is garbage. You're better off keeping the stock y-setup.

Yep... I agree... I tried one a long time ago on my old old F150.... waste of money....

The only REAL upgrade, is a custom swingset steering kit.... BUT, you also need to do cut and turned beams.... that way, everything is inline...

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven