Aussie Style Truck And SUV Rear Canopies And Trays

vwhammer

Adventurer
Just curious why none of the rear tray set ups are as popular in the US as they are in Australia.
I have wanted one for a long time now and am getting ready to build one for my 1st gen Tacoma.

They seem super useful and durable and can be configured any way you can imagine.

They put them on everything in Australia.
I have even seen a custom Suzuki X90 with one (can't find the pic now) and it totally transformed it.

QqT2YYv.jpg

4iYouHK.jpg

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I wish the Aussie style canopies were more popular. We have limited choices on this side of the pond. I'd want one if I had a "ute".

Norweld has a distributor in PA:

ChasingOurTrunks

I think they will be getting more popular, but I do think I know one of the reasons they are not as popular on this side of the pond: Their vehicles in Australia have much more generous weight specs than we do, and their regulatory system allows for a lot more flexibility when fitting up a vehicle. I am not an expert but I looked into this for my truck and learned a bit about this stuff — I’ll try to include sources so folks can double check for themselves, but this is the conclusion I reached.

A great example of what I’m talking about is the Ford Ranger, which is a common ”Ute” in Australia and North America. It has a payload rating of between 1,000 and 1200+ Kilograms “Down Under”, depending on configuration (That’s about 2500 lbs). (Source: https://www.ford.com.au/content/dam/Ford/website-assets/ap/au/nameplate/ranger-2019/pdf/2020-ranger-full-specs-sheet.pdf?intcmp=bb-fau-vhp-ford ranger-fau--new). The same truck in North America has a payload of only about 1500 lbs, which is only 700 KGs. (Source: https://www.akinsford.com/blog/2020-ford-ranger-towing-and-payload-capacities/). This is true with other Utes as well — the last gen of the D-Max was the same chassis as the Canyon/Colorado, but had over 1000kgs of payload (whereas the Twins peak at around 700kgs).

The Aussie style tray and canopy systems are, according to this spec sheet, north of 250kgs, so they are not substantially lighter than your existing tub and may in fact be a good bit heavier. I don’t know for sure but a quick google suggests that a typical truck tub is between 300-500 lbs (136 kgs), so there is actually a bit of weight being added. And with a tray and canopy, it’s rarely just the shell — there are shelves, fridge slides, boxes, racks, and many more weight-adding features that can make a tray much, much heavier. And fitting out a canopy often includes the “Typical” Overlanding kit we use here — 12v system with a secondary battery, maybe some solar. A fridge and a slide. Maybe a second spare tire or a space for some jerry cans of fuel — all of this adds up, and we haven’t included things like skid plates, bull bars, sliders, etc.

The Aussies get an extra thousand pounds to play with compared to us, so it makes it easier for them to fit out a touring rig with the tray and canopy. But even still, even if your specs in your Aussie Ute are a bit tight for mounting a tray and that extra thousand pounds isn’t enough, in Australia you can get your GVWR upgraded by going through a proper engineering firm/workshop. We do not have this option -- the GVM/GVWR the factory gives you is what you get. All of your other important limits like payload are based on this GVWR. Over there, the upgrade industry is huge and actually Norweld themselves suggest that a GVM upgrade is a good idea before adding a tray and canopy system. You just can’t do that in North America under our current regulations (that I’m aware of).

I’m not saying you can’t put a tray and canopy on a North American vehicle — plenty have — but our payloads on most modern trucks are between 1200 lbs at the low end (Tacoma, Bison) and 1600 lbs for mid-sizers, and around 2000 lbs at the high end for half-tons, so we don’t have the same weight flexibility as the Aussies, and going over GVM is generally regarded as a bad idea. Note, there are HD trucks that have way more wiggle room, and high payload packages on F-150s half tons, and I’ve been Informed by this board that some older Rangers have camper packages from factory that really up the weight ratings, but these vehicles are not super common. When I looked at doing a tray and canopy for my Canyon, I looked at a lot of options, but all of them would push our system well over our GVM once we loaded it up with all the other equipment that we rely on for our trips, and so we ruled it out.

And you know what? It sucks, because the only thing better about how practical a tray and canopy can be for touring is how cool they are!!

vwhammer

Adventurer
I suspect that many home builders are not really up to the task of building a tray or the even more involved process of cutting the back half off of their 4runner or landcruiser to do a proper tray and canopy set up.
This, coupled with the fact that there are not a lot of pro outfitters doing the tray set ups, probably has a lot to do with the lack or presents in the scene.

I don't really feel like the regulations in the US are keeping people, pros or otherwise, from bumping the capacity and building a tray.
I think its just easier and cheaper to add all the stuff inside or in the bed and roll with it.
I feel most shops could swap an axle, do a little frame beefing and add some stiffer springs to bump up the load capacity and no one would have any issues getting it registered.

Then you have American DIY builders doing whatever they want anyway no matter what the regs say.
In most cases their payload bump simply comes in the form of some upgraded springs.
Is that the proper way to go about upping your payload capacity? Probably not but in reality that's enough for most people.

In my case with my Tacoma I am taking the American DIY builder route a little further.
The back half of my frame is in need of some repair so I am simply going to cut it off, replace it with some tubular bits, add a full floater kit to the rear axle, upgrade the springs and build the tray on top.
should be good for anything I want to do but no real engineering involved

Will it be safe? In my semi educated opinion, yes.
Will it be legal? I don't really know. I've never really looked into the legality of such things and it varies so much state to state that its hard to say.
Will I have any issues getting plates for it? Not in Ohio.
Am I endangering every one on the road by building and driving it on public streets? I would like to think not. Not that it's any kind of justification but I have seen a lot worse things on the streets.

85_Ranger4x4

I don't think you can really do anything to increase the capacity. What is on the door sticker is it. Anything you do to raise it that adds weight actually cuts into the payload (you are hauling more axle instead of gear etc)

My Ranger has upgraded axles, springs and brakes. The engine/trans/t-case and rear axle is basically the same as a F-150 or better. None of that raised the legal weight rating, it only ate into it.

vwhammer

Adventurer
Technically I get where you are coming from but I have very little concern with what the sticker in the door says.
Who does these days?
Perhaps that's irresponsible of me.

People wouldn't be putting 35s on a jeep or a 4Runner if they cared about any info in the door jam.

I am simply saying you can make a vehicle more capable of carrying heavier loads without compromising safety
With that said I might be inclined to say that stiffer springs can increase your payload capacity substantially without adding much weight.

gkieser92

Flatbeds are fairly common on farm trucks (3/4 and 1 ton), they are not cheap though.
I think this is a big part of it. Flatbeds are not "cool" or stylish, which is the purpose that many people buy trucks in the US. I once mentioned to my wife that I'd love to have a pickup with a service body so I could lock up all my gear, and she thought I was crazy. Why would I want to drive a work truck for fun? She grew up on a farm, and the work trucks had flatbeds and boxes and were covered in mud. The nice trucks had tubs and were clean.

85_Ranger4x4

Technically I get where you are coming from but I have very little concern with what the sticker in the door says.
Who does these days?
Perhaps that's irresponsible of me.

People wouldn't be putting 35s on a jeep or a 4Runner if they cared about any info in the door jam.

I am simply saying you can make a vehicle more capable of carrying heavier loads without compromising safety
With that said I might be inclined to say that stiffer springs can increase your payload capacity substantially without adding much weight.

Just saying there is nowhere to actually get the rating raised.

And if you get in a bad wreck and your rig looks like it was an ant trying to carry a leaf... the other guys insurance might want to weigh the remains.

I think this is a big part of it. Flatbeds are not "cool" or stylish, which is the purpose that many people buy trucks in the US. I once mentioned to my wife that I'd love to have a pickup with a service body so I could lock up all my gear, and she thought I was crazy. Why would I want to drive a work truck for fun? She grew up on a farm, and the work trucks had flatbeds and boxes and were covered in mud. The nice trucks had tubs and were clean.

I mentioned interest in getting one so I had an actual useful bed (as opposed to the shoulder high bedrails most truck beds have now) and I got the same reaction from my wife. Plus aluminum = no rust too (I know it can do weird things and isn't perfect)

It is kinda more complicated too, most cab-chassis trucks on lots are stripper models. So you have to buy a truck set up how you want, sell the bed and buy a bed... which is hard to do when you are making payments on said truck and have to drive it every day.

And if you want a new service body... big $$

ChasingOurTrunks

I suspect that many home builders are not really up to the task of building a tray or the even more involved process of cutting the back half off of their 4runner or landcruiser to do a proper tray and canopy set up.
This, coupled with the fact that there are not a lot of pro outfitters doing the tray set ups, probably has a lot to do with the lack or presents in the scene.

You are not wrong about what you can do -- I don't really feel like the regulations in the US are keeping people, pros or otherwise, from bumping the capacity and building a tray.
I think its just easier and cheaper to add all the stuff inside or in the bed and roll with it.
I feel most shops could swap an axle, do a little frame beefing and add some stiffer springs to bump up the load capacity and no one would have any issues getting it registered.

You aren't technically wrong -- you certainly can make a vehicle more capable, as the laws of physics are the same here as they are in Australia (At least, I'm pretty sure they are, notwithstanding things being upside-down ;) ). That's why I used the example of the Ranger and the D-Max/Twins, because as far as I know, these trucks are functionally identical in terms of chassis in their various NA/Australian versions, but they still come with different ratings. Again, that's largely because of the regulations around how those ratings are established. The Aussie rigs might have beefier bolt-on parts -- like brakes -- that do have a safety element, but all of those bolt-on components can be upgraded and there's no reason one can't do the same here. But, it won't be technically legal in many jurisdictions -- it still doesn't change the sticker on the door, as @85_Ranger4x4.

The legality is important -- GVM may not matter to non-commercial users, but I think that's still a huge part of the equation, because it's mostly commercial users that drive the market, and they MUST respect GVMs and the law. They are policed much more heavily and have a much greater risk profile should something go wrong, which ties directly into their insurance. The commercial end drives the market in Australia too -- thats what they were developed for, and then adapted to touring use. The biggest selling feature of the MitsAlloy canopy, for example, is that you can use it for touring on weekends and as a "Tradey" truck (i.e. a truck to be used by Jocko's Plumbing and Heating) on weekdays.

I am super jealous of this, to be honest -- Imagine how handy a mid-size truck would be with a payload of 2500 lbs for a typical welder, plumber, or similar profession over here in North America. Super easy to spin around in a city or town, but with enough capacity to mount up the welders, haul the heavy materials, etc. that are common in commercial applications. Plus they are cheaper and more efficient (when given a proper powerplant) than their bigger cousins. The same features that make a mid-sized good off-road (fitting into tight spaces and maneuverability) would apply in a lot of commercial applications too. But, to get the payload necessary for most commercial applications here in North America, you need to be looking (usually) at the HD-series of trucks, and this bears true -- most of the "commercial" trade vehicles I see are these larger HD-series trucks, and as another poster said, deck and canopy-style systems/service bodies are quite common on commercial 3/4 ton trucks and bigger. But, because of our regs here, vehicles that are common in Overlanding in North America and most similar to the typical "Ute" in Australia can not be used as readily for commercial purposes here.

This relates to what you said in your second point here, which also answered the OP's question -- there's not a lot of pro outfitters doing tray setups. I'm sure there are plenty of fly-by-night fab shops that will do one for you, but I don't think a reputable manufacturer is going to build and sell a product that breaks the law, because commercial users (the bread and butter of most reputable manufacturers of this kind of product) will not fit their vehicles with equipment that puts them over GVM because of the liability. There are few hobbyist adventurers (the bulk of the Overland community) who are willing to invest 50% the cost of the vehicle in a tray and canopy system.

85_Ranger4x4

You aren't technically wrong -- you certainly can make a vehicle more capable, as the laws of physics are the same here as they are in Australia (At least, I'm pretty sure they are, notwithstanding things being upside-down ;) ). That's why I used the example of the Ranger and the D-Max/Twins, because as far as I know, these trucks are functionally identical in terms of chassis in their various NA/Australian versions, but they still come with different ratings. Again, that's largely because of the regulations around how those ratings are established. The Aussie rigs might have beefier bolt-on parts -- like brakes -- that do have a safety element, but all of those bolt-on components can be upgraded and there's no reason one can't do the same here. But, it won't be technically legal in many jurisdictions -- it still doesn't change the sticker on the door, as @85_Ranger4x4.

The legality is important -- GVM may not matter to non-commercial users, but I think that's still a huge part of the equation, because it's mostly commercial users that drive the market, and they MUST respect GVMs and the law. They are policed much more heavily and have a much greater risk profile should something go wrong, which ties directly into their insurance. The commercial end drives the market in Australia too -- thats what they were developed for, and then adapted to touring use. The biggest selling feature of the MitsAlloy canopy, for example, is that you can use it for touring on weekends and as a "Tradey" truck (i.e. a truck to be used by Jocko's Plumbing and Heating) on weekdays.

I am super jealous of this, to be honest -- Imagine how handy a mid-size truck would be with a payload of 2500 lbs for a typical welder, plumber, or similar profession over here in North America. Super easy to spin around in a city or town, but with enough capacity to mount up the welders, haul the heavy materials, etc. that are common in commercial applications. Plus they are cheaper and more efficient (when given a proper powerplant) than their bigger cousins. The same features that make a mid-sized good off-road (fitting into tight spaces and maneuverability) would apply in a lot of commercial applications too. But, to get the payload necessary for most commercial applications here in North America, you need to be looking (usually) at the HD-series of trucks, and this bears true -- most of the "commercial" trade vehicles I see are these larger HD-series trucks, and as another poster said, deck and canopy-style systems/service bodies are quite common on commercial 3/4 ton trucks and bigger. But, because of our regs here, vehicles that are common in Overlanding in North America and most similar to the typical "Ute" in Australia can not be used as readily for commercial purposes here.

This relates to what you said in your second point here, which also answered the OP's question -- there's not a lot of pro outfitters doing tray setups. I'm sure there are plenty of fly-by-night fab shops that will do one for you, but I don't think a reputable manufacturer is going to build and sell a product that breaks the law, because commercial users (the bread and butter of most reputable manufacturers of this kind of product) will not fit their vehicles with equipment that puts them over GVM because of the liability. There are few hobbyist adventurers (the bulk of the Overland community) who are willing to invest 50% the cost of the vehicle in a tray and canopy system.

Flatbeds are fairly common for farm trucks, I have never seen one with anything more than a shallow stakepocket "bed" at best though, no canopy or anything. Half of them running around have hay bale movers in them.

Portable welder guys usually have huge trucks with more than one welder, air compressor, torch, tools small crane etc. Kind of a one man band fab shop kind of a truck. Midsize need not apply. F-450+ (or equivalent in your flavor of choice)

ChasingOurTrunks

Flatbeds are fairly common for farm trucks, I have never seen one with anything more than a shallow stakepocket "bed" at best though, no canopy or anything. Half of them running around have hay bale movers in them.

Portable welder guys usually have huge trucks with more than one welder, air compressor, torch, tools small crane etc. Kind of a one man band fab shop kind of a truck. Midsize need not apply. F-450+ (or equivalent in your flavor of choice)

Absolutely true -- I'm in Northern Alberta, the confluence of farming and heavy industry, so I've seen exactly what you're talking about. The flatbeds we tend to get over here also are almost always steel, not aluminum like the Aussies tend to use, but otherwise, the design is pretty similar. Some folks have rigs set up on smaller vehicles (Extremely rare but I've seen the odd Miller in the back of a 1/2 ton 4x4 truck with a company logo on the side; you are quite right that they are usually the HD or bigger line though). And, I've never seen a welding rig on a mid-size in North America -- even service bodies on mid-sizes are extremely rare. But, in Australia, their mid-size trucks have the payload that rivals our full size trucks, and the commercial use of these service bodies reflects that.

In case anyone perusing this thread is wondering what I'm yammering on about, to give an example of what I saw when I looked into it, these are some "Tradey" Utes over in Australia, using a variety of search terms on the Google Machine -- "Service Body Dual Cabs Australia" was the main one. Note the fine print on the Ford -- the alloy tray appears to be a factory option. They are all what we would call a Mid Size truck, or what I understand they refer to as a "Ute" or "Dual Cab" in the land of crocs and koalas.

ridgeback-fixed-body-ford-raptor-corner-view-1200-landscape.jpg:

Service-body-2.jpg

image.imgs.full.high.jpg

As compared to a similar google search for "service body trucks USA"

9062-198 Ford F350.jpg

6883090.jpg
service-trucks-2020-580x320-2.png

The "big" (i.e. full size) American trucks are not very popular in Aus though I understand they are making inroads there, but the above demonstrates my point -- the common 'commercial' truck in North America is a fullsize, usually an HD fullsize, but the common commercial truck in Australia is what we would call a "mid size". That commercial market drives the tray/canopy makers too. Since our Mid-size trucks are not adequate for commercial operations due to their lighter GVMs/Payloads, it's not a surprise that our commercial operators default to the HD-range, and that there are so few tray/canopy manufactures over here.

I should also say that I don't 100% know any of this for sure -- this perspective is worth exactly what folks have paid for it :D! I've tried to add sources where I can, but the fact is I'm not an Australian and all the info in my posts in this thread are based on what I found when I was researching a tray and canopy for my own mid-size. I couldn't figure out why they were so popular over there, but so hard to come by over here (for a mid-size), until I locked onto this weight disparity and how that impacts the commercial application, and it makes sense to me. I'd love it if an Aussie member could chime in and let me know if I'm on the right track as I imagine someone local would have more knowledge than me.

Attachments

• 252a900a631a7dddad88824d822732ed.png
    252a900a631a7dddad88824d822732ed.png
    213.6 KB · Views: 9

quickfarms

Adventurer
A friend of mine did build and market a system that allowed the swapping of bodies on a full size truck from a work body to camper ect but it was not popular and it did not sell well.

Personally I have a different vehicle for each use.

Paddler Ed

Adventurer
OK... here's my thoughts on the ute tray and tool box market...

1) Alloy vs Steel: Most utes that come with "factory" tray fitted use a tray from a couple of big manufacturers (TripleM are the common ones, no matter what badge is stuck on at the end of the day). However, get out of Capital Cities and the local fabricators come out. For example, within 100miles of where I am we have 3 big farbricators that dominate the local market; they pretty much run from a box trailer to a full size truck in terms of what they'll make:
2) Aussie vehicles are taxed based on tare weight, so if you can sneak a ute under a weight threshold by using an alloy tray or removable boxes, then it's a bonus!
3) Lots of the ute + service bodies are sole trader or contractors, so if they can put a ute through the company books with a AU$15-20k body (Norweld for example) then it's great - also there's a tax break at the moment here for businesses to spend money
4) Over 4500kg GVM and you're into a truck licence, so most will GVM upgrade to 4495kg tops and stay under that
5) People will sometimes move ute bodies if they have the same chassis each time - for example, Toyota HiLux or 70 series.
6) You get what you want. I was in Toyota today and nearly every ute in the showroom was a cab chassis apart fom one demo hilux with tub and topper on.

Oka 374

The biggest problem is that here in Oz there are thousands of people getting a boy to do a mans work by using these mid size utes to drag huge caravans around or sticking trays on twin cab utes so all the weight is behind the rear axle which leads to chassis failure.
They should be buying light trucks to do the job or big US sized utes.

Attachments

• broken tritons.jpg
    broken tritons.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Broken 79.png
    Broken 79.png
    356.7 KB · Views: 101
  • P5310011 (Medium).JPG
    P5310011 (Medium).JPG
    204 KB · Views: 100

Forum statistics

Threads