Auto magazines review the 2012 Wrangler

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/22/2012-jeep-wrangler-first-drive-review/

The new Pentastar V6 gives 40% more hp and 10% more torque, making for a faster ride and also better fuel economy.

The Rubicon can now be ordered with a 3.73 to 1 final drive ratio. This is because the 2012 Rubicon automatic has a considerably lower first gear than the 2011 model. You can still order the 4.11 final drive, but it's probably not necessary unless you plan to run oversize tires (or if you're ordering a manual trans, which has not changed in 2012.).

Looks like the Rubicon is now available in the monochrome paint scheme introduced on the Sahara last year. No sure about the Dozer Yellow...
2012-rubicon-2door.jpg

The Unlimited looks the same
2012-rubicon-4door.jpg

The new Blaze Red looks nice on the Unlimited
2012-Rubicon-4door-2.jpg

Photos are Chrysler Corp. publicity photos.

Motor Trend has a brief article about driving the Rubicon Trail with the new Wrangler. More photos in this article.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1110_2012_jeep_wrangler_first_test/

Four Wheeler describes the lower gear ratio in the new automatic
http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests/129_1108_2012_jeep_wrangler_jk_pentastar_v6/index.html

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
So now it will have about as much tq as the tried and true 4.0 did many years ago, way to go Chrysler!!

From an engine with less displacement, better fuel economy AND it meets all current emissions regulations.

Way to go indeed.

-Dan

Timgco

Adventurer
I've been driving a 2012 JKU, Rubicon for 2 weeks now. While this is no HEMI, it is night/ day over the previous engine/ trans in the JK. I had a 2010 configured the same way. You can feel the difference on road. From about 30mph through the powerband to redline, it is noticeable. From a dead stop, off the line feels pretty close to stock until you hit 3,000 rpm. 4LO feels just as good/ climbs like a mule still.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Good reviews in general. I can't wait to drive a stripped down 2door with the new engine. It sounds like that should be a really fun jeep. Is its a hemi or diesel...no, but overall I think the new engine and automatic should be a MAJOR improvement.

With the new transmission ratios in the automatic I wish they would let you do the Rubicon D44 front and rear with the normal 2.72 low transfer case.

The Rubicon/auto combination with the optional 4.10 gears looks like a GREAT combo for 35" tires......

dflesher65

Certifiable
Here in the San Diego area I have seen them listed in the $40,000+ range for a Rubicon. I hope in time the price goes down to low to mid $30,000.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Here in the San Diego area I have seen them listed in the $40,000+ range for a Rubicon. I hope in time the price goes down to low to mid $30,000.

Huh?

jeep.com shows the MSRP of the 2012 Rubicon Unlimited as $33,320.
Anyone paying $40k is nuts.

-Dan

elbendido

2 door rubicons on our lot are 33k. Our first 4 door rubi 3.6 sold yesterday for 40,650. Ouch. And I'm in Vermont.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

haven

Expedition Leader
$33K is the starting point. Once you add the options you want (auto trans costs $1000, for example), plus tax and license, and it's not hard to make that out-the-door price higher than $40K.

The good news is that some dealers are willing to write a below-invoice order. The JK-Forum and Jeep Forum sites have examples of people who got deals like this, saving about $3K.

comac90

Observer
$33K is the starting point. Once you add the options you want (auto trans costs $1000, for example), plus tax and license, and it's not hard to make that out-the-door price higher than $40K.

The good news is that some dealers are willing to write a below-invoice order. The JK-Forum and Jeep Forum sites have examples of people who got deals like this, saving about $3K.

FWIW, I ordered a Rubicon JKU on 7/7 and took delivery on 8/19. And, yes, the MSRPs are high. But, as haven said, there are deals to be had ... Being a member of Tread Lightly gives you 1% below invoice right off the bat. I started from there and kept going down finishing at over 3% below invoice. I was out-the-door, taxes and everything, for quite a bit lower than MSRP.

T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven