Automatic solar panel retract when engine starts?

MaxMiller

Hey everyone, I'm planning on having two solar panels slide out from underneath my roof rack, powered by linear actuators. The actuators would be wired to non-momentary switches in the cabin. As a safety feature, it would be nice if when the engine is started, the panels would automatically retract (juuuuuust in case I forgot to do it manually) to avoid being blown off at highway speeds/hitting something. I am thinking putting a relay between somewhere that only gets 12v power when the engine starts and the retract side of the switches, would accomplish this.

1) Does this make sense at all?

2) Any ideas about where to put the relay that would send power only when the engine is running?

I would love any input, however much time I spend trying to learn about this stuff never seems like enough!

shade

Hey everyone, I'm planning on having two solar panels slide out from underneath my roof rack, powered by linear actuators. The actuators would be wired to non-momentary switches in the cabin. As a safety feature, it would be nice if when the engine is started, the panels would automatically retract (juuuuuust in case I forgot to do it manually) to avoid being blown off at highway speeds/hitting something. I am thinking putting a relay between somewhere that only gets 12v power when the engine starts and the retract side of the switches, would accomplish this.

2) Any ideas about where to put the relay that would send power only when the engine is running?

I would love any input, however much time I spend trying to learn about this stuff never seems like enough!
If you have an automatic transmission, it may be easier to use the brake interlock circuit to prevent shifting out of Park when the panels aren't stowed.

1000arms

You might consider wiring a low-power-consumption flashing-LED-indicator, mounted in a position highly visible from the driver's seat, to flash whenever the solar panels are deployed. The use of a directional indicator could confine the light emitted to a small area rather than illuminating the entire interior of the vehicle.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Not to be "that guy" but every time you crack into or add to wiring you add a chance for failure.
I would suggest a sticker on the dash or teach yourself to do a walk around before leaving. I have done that for years and it is amazing how many times it has saved me or a buddy losing something.

1000arms

Not to be "that guy" but every time you crack into or add to wiring you add a chance for failure.

That is the reason I made my suggestion as well. Your suggestion of a walk-around is also very useful.

You might consider wiring a low-power-consumption flashing-LED-indicator, mounted in a position highly visible from the driver's seat, to flash whenever the solar panels are deployed. The use of a directional indicator could confine the light emitted to a small area rather than illuminating the entire interior of the vehicle.

kennedyma

Yep I’ve gotten into the habit of walking around “one last time” before I leave camp. It’s saved my butt multiple times.

dreadlocks

if just a saftey mechanism and not something your trying to rely on, a Jolt/impact sensor out on the wings sorta like they put on those electronic awnings to close in wind perhaps.. added benefit that the'd retract if weather got nasty and you were away from camp.

Indicators can be real simple, I put a tennis ball over the plug of my diesel heater to protect it in travel.. and when I plug into ac mains I stash it on my gauge cluster.. if I get in the vehicle and start it while its still plugged in, I'll realize my error before getting it in gear.

rayra

Expedition Leader
As an automated function it's a sechsy idea. As a 'safety' feature, nah. Do the walkaround. Do it in a structured way, do it the same way every time until it becomes habit / habituated. Like a pilot doing his gauge sweep. 'roof secured, doors / hatches secured, tire air, dog not still tied to the bumper, grounds secured, trash check.. Do it top to bottom, or in any sequence you want, but the more 'linear' it is, the easier to not forget anything.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
When it comes to something so easy to forget/damage, having a backstop is important. Tying the park interlock is a good option, as you can easily bypass the interlock with a pen or screwdriver if needed.

The other option would be a bright dash light or similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy