Awning recommendations?

whizbang

Awnings have me stumped.

They range in price from $200 to $2000. There is no way to inspect them and determine which is quality workmanship and which is cheap imported garbage. At first I though I wanted a simple rectangular pullout. But, it seems that setup often requires two people and I camp solo. Maybe a 270 degree is a better choice.

The internet is no longer reliable. We have the best info money can buy.

So. What are you really using? How do you like it?

One shot

Observer
Ordered an eeze-awn bat 270 from Equipt. On sale. Quality product at a good discount. Shipped quick at no additional cost.

alanymarce

We have a Dobinson's side awning and an ARB rear awning - gives the choice to open either or both. They both work well.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I have the Alu cab 270 and while it is pricey its easy to deploy solo. Incredibly strong. I never deploy the legs or need to tie it down unlike most of the other 270s. Other than needing a small step stool (I'm kinda short) its easy to put away.

TexasSixSeven

Observer
I run an OVS 270+ and never deploy the legs. I live in far west Texas where a “gentle breeze” is everyone else’s strong wind, and haven’t had any issues.

86scotty

Cynic
There is no way to inspect them and determine which is quality workmanship and which is cheap imported garbage.

I've had about every awning I can name and I've come back to the cheap imported ones you don't speak very highly of. My current one was <$200 from Amazon. It's a direct copy of the basic soft bag ARB/CVT light awnings that have been around for years. It is about 20# and I can set it up alone.

If I destroy it I won't cry, I'll just get another. This is a criteria for me. YMMV.

PNWDad

Dad in the streets, Daddy in the sheets
When I need an awning usually it's for inclement weather situations. Heavy rain, strong wind, snow conditions, etc. Any awning can work well in the sun, but would you trust leaving the awning up in a rain storm? I settled on a Kinsmen awning made in the USA.

This is the only awning I found that has a snow load rating. Darn thing is heavy duty and you can easily do pull ups on the bars without ground stakes. Buy once cry once for gear I use/need for crappy situations.

Attachments

• PXL_20221202_213045845.jpg
    PXL_20221202_213045845.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20221202_213026574.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221202_213026574.MP.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 28

kpherzog

We had a Care-Free awning installed on our custom Phoenix pop-up. I originally wanted one of the bat-wings, but the folks at Phoenix talked me out of it.. their customers did a lot less complaining about the Care-free. It was expensive.. almost a $1000 for a ten footer, manual operation. We have never regretted it! It is easy to deploy by one person, very stable and in 8 years of use never a problem. My wife says it is the best single feature on our camper.

Attachments

• IMG_5427_1.JPG
    IMG_5427_1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4652.JPG
    IMG_4652.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 18

whizbang

Good suggestions. I will research them all.

I was hoping for something that could take a little wind.

It is interesting to consider the "buy cheap as replace if necessary" idea. I hadn't considered that.

craig333

Expedition Leader
When I need an awning usually it's for inclement weather situations. Heavy rain, strong wind, snow conditions, etc. Any awning can work well in the sun, but would you trust leaving the awning up in a rain storm? I settled on a Kinsmen awning made in the USA.

This is the only awning I found that has a snow load rating. Darn thing is heavy duty and you can easily do pull ups on the bars without ground stakes. Buy once cry once for gear I use/need for crappy situations.
Interesting. I've never considering deploying an awing for snow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach