Back to the Wild(ish)

Japes

Displaced Texan
Having owned a 04 Taco and a 99 Trooper I have had the privilege to use awesome off-road and overland vehicles. Recently I have been on a kicker with low and quick cars; in order R/T Neon, E30 , NA Miata, and now a SVT Focus. As much as I love the speed and driving prowess I want to start getting back Into the wilderness and also prepare for winters and be more comfortable on my many road trips and travels.

9ae1cc92599b173fd6e3fe78db8494f6.jpg

My budget looks around 7-8k. I would like something comfortable, good gas mileage, and the ability to be a reasonable fire road, camper, and just general get out vehicle. I do quite a bit of driving so comfort and decent mpg is nice.

I have narrowed my choices to a few ideas and I would like some feedback from you fellas.

Honda Ridgeline

Ford Escape

Mitsu Montero

also considered a Outback Wagon.

Hope to get valuable feedback and advice as I have always got from this site.

I have fat fingers and I am posting from my iPhone.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Camper, are you planning on sleeping inside the vehicle?

Based on vehicle list Jeep Patriot could also be considered. Freedom Drive II (FDII) being the most capable off pavement. Aftermarket is small, but growing with lifts and armor already available.

Chris has one being used as a long term test vehicle for ExPo.
http://expeditionportal.com/the-little-overlander-expo-s-long-term-patriot-project/

Expedition West also seemed to like them.
http://expeditionwest.com/equipment/reviews/patriot/index.htm

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
You can pick up a relatively new SX4 AWD for pennies right now. Definitely the best value price-wise and it would seem to suit your needs.

If that's too small the last gen Rav4's have come down a lot in price since the new model came out, although a nice one would probably still be a bit out of your budget. Escapes, tributes, CR-V's, X-trails, they all have their weaknesses and I personally would stay away from them if you're ever heading off pavement.

I second a FDII pat, they're surprisingly capable and they're also dirt cheap for that's a couple years old. Already comes with AT's and a bit more ground clearance as well.

Or a last gen Suzuki Grand Vitara would also be in your price range and offers massive bang for your buck.

Japes

Displaced Texan
I've Always liked the SX 4, how does it do with. 3 people plus overnight bags on the highway?

I have fat fingers and I am posting from my iPhone.

Jwood70

Observer
Its a tight fit. I have been DDing a SX4 since my truck died and 2 people packed for a long weekend is a tight fit. It was used as the main family vehicle for a while and all 3 of us fit, but with a light load packed.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I've Always liked the SX 4, how does it do with. 3 people plus overnight bags on the highway?
With the rear seats up it obviously loses a ton of cargo space. The trunk is actually pretty deep, but you're forced to stack items and pack vertically. Also, if you're planning on carrying anything in the back (including passengers) upgrading the rear shocks is a must. Monroe sensatrac's for a Toyota Echo are a super cheap and great upgrade. Takes less than 15min to do both sides.

The rear shocks and small size are really the only weak points of the entire car. But it's small size and light weight are also a bonus on the trail, so it depends on how you look at it. Otherwise the things are little tanks. I regularly tow a +1000# trailer with mine. While DD'ing it all city driving I average 9.4L/100km and low 8L/100km on the highway (keep in mind I'm lifted with 28" AT tires). When stock I easily got low 7L/100km on the highway and high 6L/100km when being careful.

Whatever model you get, whether it's the J20A or the J20B engine, auto/manual (even the Jatco CVT on the J20B), they're dead reliable. I'd only stay from the first model year here which was 2007. They have some crank bearing issues from the factory and the manual has a really short top gear. The only year to have known issues.

Dake21

Adventurer
They will all work. At this point it will depend on the condition and price of individual vehicle. I went with the grand vitara.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Yes, I will spread my obsession over here too...

I've got a serious thing for the 2nd-gen (2001-2005) RAV4. It was the first generation with vvti engines with timing chains, and the last generation of the more capable full-time 4wd systems before they went to the primarily front-wheel-drive systems. It was also the last generation available with manual transmissions. Just avoid the 2.0L/auto trans combo as they had some trans ECU issues.

docwatson

Adventurer
Of the vehicles you listed only the Montero has 4low if that is a concern. If 4 low isn't any issue I would vote buy something with low miles and good history.

My parents have the 1st Gen Escape and it has plenty of space for 3 on a week long trip. It returns low 20s mpg (V6, FWD) but in 2009 Ford dropped the 4 speed auto for a 6 speed so I would imagine you could see better mileage out them. My wife and I were extremely close to buying a 2009+ V6, 4x4 Escape but couldn't find one at a price we liked. Instead we bought a 2015 Rogue (way more than any used Escape...)

I think car purchases are easy to over think. If you need space for 3, 20+ MPG, and 4x4/AWD, just get the one that lights your fire. If you are planning to mod it etc, check the after market for each. Of the ones that have been mentioned, I just like the way the 2009+ Escapes look best.

Although if you get a 2nd gen RAV4, tanglefoot would get the chance to live vicariously through you..

Last edited:

docwatson

Adventurer
Well then you should check out some of my protégés... The Avett Brothers.

Ok well I don't think they were his direct protégés, he passed a few days before an Avett Brothers concert I attended and they dedicated just about every song to Doc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk