Backup Camera in place of rear view mirror.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
My 2003 Chevrolet Astro came with no rear view mirror (Can't see out the back anyway) I want to buy a backup camera that mounts to the windshield where a rear view mirror should go. All the units I am finding mount over your existing rear view mirror.

Does anyone know of a unit that mounts directly to where the rear view mirror should go?

Basement Yeti

Explorer
That's cool, but I'd prefer to have a dedicated monitor where my rear view mirror used to be, I'm a creature of habit.

Worst case scenario I buy a rear view mirror and just get the 10" Pyle rear view mirror monitor clip on and camera, I guess.

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
I have done exactly what you are asking. I mounted a 5" screen were the rear view mirror would normally be in my Jeep JK. I purchased it thru Total Vision. Rod is a great guy and I would buy from him again. I have 3 camera's, one on the back of the Jeep, one on the front, and one on the back of my Chaser trailer. I simply turn a rotary dial to pick the camera I want.

http://www.totalvisionproducts.com/

DSC_0273.jpg

Here is a shot of the monitor.

PNWDad

Dad in the streets, Daddy in the sheets
They make mirrors with little 2" monitors in them. You could hook up a backup camera to a Stereo DVD head unit and parallel the video to the mirror when you want it to. My buddy worked at a stereo shop and he had video screens in his rear view mirror and both side mirrors, and about a dozen places inside his blazer. I do like the setup above though!

Last edited:

MrBeast

Explorer
In my truck I have a Kenwood KVC 696

stereo1.jpg

I am super happy with it.

In my 72 I am going to run a similar version that installs to a double din.

What I like about it is the camera automatically comes on when you put the truck in reverse. That makes things easy.

You can also run multiple monitors, I have been considering doing this, but we will see.

it is way more expensive to do it that way.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
I have done exactly what you are asking. I mounted a 5" screen were the rear view mirror would normally be in my Jeep JK. I purchased it thru Total Vision. Rod is a great guy and I would buy from him again. I have 3 camera's, one on the back of the Jeep, one on the front, and one on the back of my Chaser trailer. I simply turn a rotary dial to pick the camera I want.

http://www.totalvisionproducts.com/

DSC_0273.jpg

Here is a shot of the monitor.

Exactly what I am looking for. Unfortunately the truck and SUV section is down. I'll have to call for prices. Thanks!

In my truck I have a Kenwood KVC 696

stereo1.jpg

I am super happy with it.

In my 72 I am going to run a similar version that installs to a double din.

What I like about it is the camera automatically comes on when you put the truck in reverse. That makes things easy.

You can also run multiple monitors, I have been considering doing this, but we will see.

it is way more expensive to do it that way.

I like that, but I want something that is 100% dedicated to rear view monitoring. I check my rear view mirror often to see what is going on behind me when driving and I need the camera to always be showing me what is behind me. What I like about dual input ones, split screen or tri screen monitors is I can stick a camera in my right hand side mirror and see my blind spot too!

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I bought one at Advance Auto, it had a suction cup mount, and I mounted it next to the rear veiw mirror, could easily have replaced the rearview mirror.

Instructions said to wire it into the back up lights, so it would come on when in reverse.

I wired it to a switch, so it would be on whenever I chose.

For towing my M416 with the Jeep loaded, it worked great. I could see if anyone was alongside my trailer before changing lanes.

Hardest part (which wasn't really to hard) was running power wires to the monitor, becuase they had to run through the headliner.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
At first I wanted to splice it into my backup lights/siren so it turned on when I went into reverse. Then I realized I wanted the camera on while I was driving at all times.

The problem on the astro is there is no where up top to mount it, the doors cover the entire rear of the van. I could mount a camera on the roof facing back, but I'll probably flush mount one into the bumper.

I will call total vision, but one thing I want out of the display is split screen so I can eventually add a blind spot camera and front facing camera.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Resolution-Reverse-Rearview-Waterproof/dp/B0042EITXU/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1299296910&sr=8-14-spell"]Amazon.com: NTSC Universal Car High Resolution Sharp CCD Reverse Rearview Backup Camera with IR Night Version Waterproof: Electronics[/ame]

http://www.amazon.com/10-2ö-Rear-Vi...JQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1299297028&sr=8-10

And then buy a replacement rear view mirror and clip the monitor onto it. That's what I am considering doing.

. . . but one thing I want out of the display is split screen so I can eventually add a blind spot camera and front facing camera.

I've been following this thread with interest as I'm looking around for for such a set-up too.

But I've been scratching my head and wondering why anyone would want/need a FRONT facing camera?

Maybe I'm missing something. (Wouldn't be the first time.) Your reasons, please? Thanks.

Regards
John

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
I've been following this thread with interest as I'm looking around for for such a set-up too.

But I've been scratching my head and wondering why anyone would want/need a FRONT facing camera?

Maybe I'm missing something. (Wouldn't be the first time.) Your reasons, please? Thanks.

Regards
John

The main reason is to be able to quickly identify trail obstacles in front of you while cresting the top of a hill. In this instance your vision is to the sky. Does the trail go left/right straight down. Are there any rocks or drop offs? Is it a cliff/washed out.

It is also fun to watch the guys face in the high end car as you parallel park inches from his bumper.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Does anyone know about this package? My craving to install a backup system is getting quite strong and found this one...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W22KZO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000XJKCT2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1NHZ9TB9ZN1PEDSC245A"]Amazon.com: 4UCAM 7" LCD Wireless Truck RV Backup Rear view Camera With Color LCD Monitor + Night Vision: Automotive[/ame]

net4n6

Adventurer
At first I wanted to splice it into my backup lights/siren so it turned on when I went into reverse. Then I realized I wanted the camera on while I was driving at all times.

The problem on the astro is there is no where up top to mount it, the doors cover the entire rear of the van. I could mount a camera on the roof facing back, but I'll probably flush mount one into the bumper.

I will call total vision, but one thing I want out of the display is split screen so I can eventually add a blind spot camera and front facing camera.

Amazon.com: NTSC Universal Car High Resolution Sharp CCD Reverse Rearview Backup Camera with IR Night Version Waterproof: Electronics

http://www.amazon.com/10-2ö-Rear-Vi...JQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1299297028&sr=8-10

And then buy a replacement rear view mirror and clip the monitor onto it. That's what I am considering doing.

Do not get the one from amazon. I had 2 yes 2 and they didn't work for me. They are too heavy for the mirror to handle. Everytime I drove over a bump, the mirror tilted down due to the weight. I bought the first one then thought the 2nd one from different manufacture might be lighter. I was wrong. The concept was excellent but it need to be 1/3 lighter on the weight.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Yeah but the one I posted is MUCH different. Looks pretty good. Similar to the TotalVision setup. If I recall their systems aren't cheap by any means.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues