Baja Expedition

Rediron

1998 TJ Sahara package stock (for all intents and purposes) 4.0L 90k miles
d30 in front d35 back both open
new all aluminium radiator and a sport cage are the only upgrades so far.

Hey everyone I was directed over to this site from a few friends at virtualjeepclub.com. So far the info on this site is huge. What an aswome place. I posted this same thread over there, but this site seems a little more geared to what I am planning. So please let me know what you would do.

So here is the plan. I have had my jeep for about three months now. I go out wheeling about twice a week, and I love it so far. I grew up spending most of my summers camping and fishing all throughout Baja. I am planning a 21 day trip next September with my father and brother. We will be traveling off road most of the time. I want to build my jeep up to an expedition style jeep that is as bullet proof as possible. I plan on 35s for the tire size.

What I am hoping for from you all is a write up on what you would do if this was your goal with the same jeep i have. What mods would you do and in what order. I can't wait to see what you guys have in store for me.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
CB Radio
SPOT receiver (maybe a rental?)
Some type of cargo organizer
Roof rack (and spare tire rack that all you TJ guys have)
jerry can (or 2)
winch with a pull-pal in case an anchor is unavailable
spare parts box
duct tape

the rest is up to you on what to bring. but your Jeep should be pretty well outfitted being on 35s and with a winch. Should get you out of jams.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
http://www.findmespot.com/en/

if I was gonna go for a long time out of the country it seems viable to get one. I'm pretty sure you might be able to rent one, but have no idea how.

oh: gas tank skid plate. nothing will end a trip like a hole from a rogue rock putting a hole in your plastic gas tank (assuming you don't have a skid already)

78Bronco

Explorer
35's on the factory axles might not be a wise choice. Housings bend, broken axle shafts, unit bearing blowouts, etc.

I think 33x10.5's would suit those axles just fine and be a good compromise for performance/reliability. Of course if you have an unlimited budget get some dynatrac pro rocks in there.

Mashurst

Adventurer
The D35 you have in the rear is a problem on 35's. I would look to swap that out. There are lots of options to do so from bolt in to full custom. I just wouldn't feel good about a D35 too far from the border. If you do take it at least bring an extra shaft to two.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I would just go...honestly there are lots of people traveling Baja if you break down and need help.

Roseatta Stone to learn some Spanish which will help you in life anyway.

Just go and have a blast..the worry about gear and prep can sometime be too much.

Near stock tires will be easier to replace if you need to source something.

How comfortable will your backseat passenger be?
That is more important than axles and winches when you really get down to it.

Otherwise just go and have a blast, take pics, relax on the beaches and make us all jealous when you return :)

inked33

Adventurer
x2 on the axles and 35's. if your determined to run 35's could look at junkyards for some dana 44's front and rear.

Rediron

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

if I was gonna go for a long time out of the country it seems viable to get one. I'm pretty sure you might be able to rent one, but have no idea how.

oh: gas tank skid plate. nothing will end a trip like a hole from a rogue rock putting a hole in your plastic gas tank (assuming you don't have a skid already)

This looks really interesting. I am going to spend some time researching it. Safety is always my primary concern. Fortunately I do have a gas tank skid. Thanks SWbySWXJ!!!

35's on the factory axles might not be a wise choice. Housings bend, broken axle shafts, unit bearing blowouts, etc.

The D35 you have in the rear is a problem on 35's. I would look to swap that out. There are lots of options to do so from bolt in to full custom. I just wouldn't feel good about a D35 too far from the border. If you do take it at least bring an extra shaft to two.

x2 on the axles and 35's. if your determined to run 35's could look at junkyards for some dana 44's front and rear.

Thank you 78Bronco, Mashurst and inked33. I am not sure, but I think I am starting to see some sort of pattern here. :iagree: Right now I am leaning toward 8.8 for the strength it has. Most likely I will try to get a 31 spline out of an old explorer. What do you all think?

I would just go...honestly there are lots of people traveling Baja if you break down and need help.

Rosetta Stone to learn some Spanish which will help you in life anyway.

Just go and have a blast..the worry about gear and prep can sometime be too much.

Near stock tires will be easier to replace if you need to source something.

How comfortable will your backseat passenger be?
That is more important than axles and winches when you really get down to it.

Otherwise just go and have a blast, take pics, relax on the beaches and make us all jealous when you return

As for the Spanish side of things fortunately for me my wife is Mexican. I had to learn as quickly as possible so I could understand what she was saying to me when she was mad. :victory: The people in Baja, both natives and gringos alike, are some of the nicest people around. Most of them would give you the shirt off their backs or the last cold beer in their cooler for that matter :) I definitely agree that the planning can get overwhelming some times 1leglance, but, for me, a huge part of the fun is putting all the parts together. I really enjoy both the wrenching as well as the logistical aspects of this kind of trip. It is still a long way off till next September, and if I don't get all the things I plan on doing done I am still going to go, and when we get back I will definitely post some of our pics.

How about doing something like this! sorry, shameless plug.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=30269

Wow!!! That is awsome. Do they have them for TJ's As well?

Last edited:

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
Right now I am leaning toward 8.8 for the strength it has. Most likely I will try to get a 31 spline out of an old explorer. What do you all think?
Fantastic choice, but beware, it's not a bolt in.

What kind of tires are you going to run? That terrain can eat up tires, so bring a patch kit and at least one spare. Have fun!

-----Matt-----

P.S. D35 + 35" tires = Death

P.S.S. D30 + 35" tires = Eventual Death...bring spares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal