Battery boiling

Uys

Observer
My trailer has a 105Ah Deltec Deep cycle battery installed which I charge as follows:

• While driving - National Luna split charging kit
  • While camping - 2 x 55W solar panels with a Steca controller
  • While at home - permanently connected to the C-Tek charger

Last night I noticed a white residue around the base of the battery - like it has been boiling over. I had everything in the compartment where the battery is located powder two monts ago, so it must be "recent" event. What causes this? How to fix?

spencyg

This Space For Rent
My trailer has a 105Ah Deltec Deep cycle battery installed which I charge as follows:

• While driving - National Luna split charging kit
  • While camping - 2 x 55W solar panels with a Steca controller
  • While at home - permanently connected to the C-Tek charger

Last night I noticed a white residue around the base of the battery - like it has been boiling over. I had everything in the compartment where the battery is located powder two monts ago, so it must be "recent" event. What causes this? How to fix?

Sounds like overcharging to me. You need to check the voltage output of your alternator, solar panel controller, and 120V charger. Sounds like one of those has malfunctioned.

Spence

socaljeeper

Adventurer
I have a Deka AGM battery, 105 ah in my trailer. I use a Guest 6amp, 3 stage charger only to charge it. I noticed a few weeks ago that the charger did not switch into the final stage, which is a trickle charge. It stayed on the full 6-amp charge stage. I can hear the battery start to boil. I figured it was a malfunction with charger, so I replaced it with a new charger. The same thing happened again. I was told it is a damaged cell within the battery.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I would check the solar panel controller. The open circuit voltage of a 55W panel is ~21volts and the less costly controllers tend to keep the battery voltage a little high.

Uys

Observer
I'll check it on Saterday. Going away for three weeks with the trailer, so I'll have plenty time to check.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal