Beating a dead horse: questions about high(ish) end suspensions-3rd gen 4runner

AxleIke

Adventurer
I know these questions are asked a lot, but searching all over has not given me the specific answers I'm looking for. Don't know if this will either but this forum has the most folks who do the most similar driving to myself: lots of on-road, mild/moderate terrain/roads/trails, some more technical stuff.

So, I'll start with the vehicle:

1999 4Runner. ARB/m8k/synthetic line on the front, sliders and a custom rear bumper with tire carrier and tire. I run 285/75 16 BFG KO2's.

I currently have Bilstein 5100's, with Toytec 620lb coils in front, FZJ80 9 wrap coils in the rear, and OME shocks in the rear. I have Icon upper control arms in the front.

I have always gone the cheaper route with trucks, and am very familiar with OME, and while it's not bad at all, far better than my current set up, we have always struggled to get a good stance with OME on the various 4runners in my family.

Currently one of my front 5100's is leaking and this makes for occasional squirrelyness on road, which is not ideal, obviously. This gives me an opportunity to Change my suspension set up potentially, but also leads me to my dilemma, and the question I have been trying, and failing to answer, which I will explain in a second.

The first issue is that I HATE my current suspension but could not bring myself to scrap it because, cheap as it was, I would still be spending money twice. But, the blown shock gives me that little bit of mental justification that I guess I stubbornly needed. I can't stand the Bilsteins. They may make decent higher end shocks but I'm not willing to give them any more money. This is the third shock of theirs that has failed in under 3 years. The first two were rears, so I ditched them for OME, and now the front. Shocks meant for the truck too, so I wasn't over extending or compressing them

So, I started looking at the Toytec BOSS kit, ICON, FOX and King.

I used to be dead against the ICON set up, but I found out that the truck I rode in that had them had some extremely stiff coils on it for some reason, and the harsh ride was almost certainly due to that. So I'm reconsidering them.

This is the issue: my goal for the suspension is on-road comfort, to the extent that is possible with a lifted truck. The problem is, everyone's idea of a "great" suspension is totally different, so attempting to figure out which one is good for me is very difficult, so I thought I would try to ask specific questions of those who have these various set ups to try to get some idea of what they are like.

I'll also add that I called Fox, who steered me towards their Performance 2.0 shocks, saying they were the most supple for on road. However, I am not sure I want something that, to my understanding, cannot be adjusted without compressing the spring. I believe the factory series fox, as well as the other brands I listed, can be adjusted simply with the weight of the vehicle removed.

I also called Toytec, and spoke to them about the differences between their Boss set up, and the ICON's. Icons will dump heat more quickly than the BOSS, but Toytec says the Boss and ICONs are valved very similarly. He ALSO said those both were valved like the 5100s I have now, that I don't like. I have trouble buying that.

If that is true, then it seems that valving wise, it's Boss/Icon/Bilstein vs Fox/king.

My off-road driving is sssllllloooowww. I drive fast on smooth dirt/ washboards, but I don't drive whoops, or jump, or anything else that would require the ultimate in shock oil cooling.

All of that is to try to give some background since these threads usually result in lots of questions about what the truck is used for.

My questions for those who have these suspensions:

1) Why did you choose it, and how does it compare to what you had before and stock?

2) what truck do you have and how is your truck loaded? Bumpers? Winch?

3) Would you describe it as "firm" or "stiff"?

4) when you are driving on road, how would you describe the feel of the truck in the following situations:
- driving 30ish mph and hitting a somewhat sunken manhole cover
- driving 20-30 on grooved pavement that has been ripped up and hitting the transition between that and existing or new pavement
- driving at 60-75 on pavement that has had crack sealant for miles on end, so it's like a constant stream of minor bumps
- driving 60-75 and hitting an expansion joint
- railroad crossings

5) When in the dirt, how are washboard roads/ minor ruts, etc...

To illustrate my impressions of ride quality,I'm would describe my current set up as follows for 4, and 5

4)
- a harsh bump. Steering flutters and it causes me to tense a tad from the jolt.
- a slam. Everything in the glovebox flies up and back down, same with the center console. I can hear the contents hitting the top of the glove box. Passengers often comment on the jolt.
- not fun, but not slamming. Small jolts that can be felt through the steering, seats, etc. stock I would describe this as small taps.
- another harsh bump. No contents of the glovebox getting tossed, but far harsher than stock. Generally the most uncomfortable in the seat, lower back.
- slam. Glovebox contents are getting tossed again.

5) not horrible. Harsher than stock, and not as good as the OMEs.

At this point, I am looking at trying the Boss kit with 550 lb/in coils which I know is possible. I was told the ICONs have 650, and I don't know about the kings and foxes. I'm going to call Icon, fox and king to see if they will offer 500 or 550 lb/in coils to see if that might be an option. For reference, the OMEs are 500 lb/in, and I do like the ride of those fairly well.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I appreciate any feedback on these suspensions that I can get.

Cheers!

nater

Adventurer
I have icons on my FJ, as does my friend on his tundra. Prior to that he had a OME setup on his tacoma, and I had the SS 1.2 lift on my 4Runner. We both feel as though the ride of the icons are worlds ahead of both of those lifts, AND the stock ride quality. Mind you, we both have CDC valves on our front coilovers, and being able to tune the ride is a great feature. Both Icon and Fox offer similar technology in this area. From my understanding, standard Icon valving is digressive, while standard Fox valving is progressive. The digressive valving offers a great and sure-footed street ride while soaking up big bumps and jolts easily in my experience.

Adventurous

Explorer
Granted my only experience is on a Tacoma, but the Icon shocks have significantly outperformed OME for me. As much as I hate spending money twice as well, I'll probably swap out the front OMEs for some Icons when money allows.

AxleIke

Adventurer
I have icons on my FJ, as does my friend on his tundra. Prior to that he had a OME setup on his tacoma, and I had the SS 1.2 lift on my 4Runner. We both feel as though the ride of the icons are worlds ahead of both of those lifts, AND the stock ride quality. Mind you, we both have CDC valves on our front coilovers, and being able to tune the ride is a great feature. Both Icon and Fox offer similar technology in this area. From my understanding, standard Icon valving is digressive, while standard Fox valving is progressive. The digressive valving offers a great and sure-footed street ride while soaking up big bumps and jolts easily in my experience.

That is pretty good info, thanks! I was wondering about the knobs. Sounds like that is a way to get a stiffer offroad ride, so you don't bottom out on ledges, and then dial them back for the road to get a cushy ride. I'll have to look into those. Can you point me to where you bought them, or did you have to go through Icon directly?

Granted my only experience is on a Tacoma, but the Icon shocks have significantly outperformed OME for me. As much as I hate spending money twice as well, I'll probably swap out the front OMEs for some Icons when money allows.

Thanks for the response!! Tacoma's are certainly similar in the front, so its good info.

Though, if you don't mind, could you post up a bit about how the scenarios I posted above would be different between the Icons and the OME in your experience. The reason I ask about that is that I've been searching about these for weeks. What I've found is that everyone has very different ideas of what "outperforms" means. No worries if you don't have the time, I'm just trying to get a clearer picture of what the suspension feels like, as my research has definitely shown that performance wise, the Icons are a very good shock, as far as handling whoops, high speed desert stuff, and certainly keeping cool without fading.

What I have noticed is that many people feel like the factory suspension is too soft, and like a suspension that "firms" up the ride, much like a high performance car suspension, or track designed suspension might be: stiffer = less sway = better feel = better handling. It also means you feel every bump you go over much more so than a more mild, easier suspension might. Hence why many fancy Merc's, BMW's, etc... have adjustable suspensions: Nice and supple on the street, then you can tighten them up for performance.

That however, is not me. I am under no delusions that I am driving a sports car, mine is a tall SUV with a higher than normal car COG. It is never going to handle like a sports car, so I'd prefer a suspension that soaks up the bumps to one that is "firm" and "handles so much better". Of course those things are nice, but with the offroad stuff, it seems like the firmer something is, the less I like the ride.

I'm liking the sound of these adjustable scenario shocks a lot. Go with a 550lb/in spring, get the shock firmness dialed in to where I like it for the road, and then with a twist of a knob, increase the firmness when needed.

jgilbreath

Observer
Do you think a 550 lb spring will be lite with an arb and winch on the front?
Seems like a pair of 2.5 kings from DSM or TAP for around $900 would be hard to beat, this is the direction i am leaning with my 2000 runner. Paired with ome rear springs and boss rear shocks to save some money compared to the king rears.
Every thing i keep reading refers to the kings having a "plush" ride both on and off road.

drobb

Adventurer
I run Kings from DSM on my Sequoia. Ran 5100s on my Tacoma. Kings ride just awesome...plain and simple.

AZ4Runner

Observer
I have a 1998 5speed 4runner. After three years running stock I went with Icon during a sale last black friday. Front standard travel 2.5 and rear 2.5 w/ res and Ome 890 spring. Overall I love the ride. It handles nice on road comparded to my friends ss 1.2 (little body roll). Offroad once you get about 15-20mph the ride really gets nice. Flying over bumps and dips are fun. They are little firm lIke you fear. I feel the cracks in the road and if I go slower offroad it is 'harsher'. In the end thsee icons are very nice if you plan on going fast on rolling forest roads.

If I were to do it again I would still purchase them. I might upgrade to the cdc control nobs during the rebuild. Just sucks as you need to have a front res to add that option. Our 3rd gens don't need that front res unless you are doing some very crazy stuff!

Btw, I have heard that removing the front sway bar helps with the harshest and since the icos have a 'stiff' spring it still is stable. Have not removed mine though.

nater

Adventurer
I got mine through a black friday sale from a well known vendor, I think they were offering 20% off on Icons. You do not have to purchase them directly from Icon.

A point that needs made here is stiffness vs harshness. Ride in a S class or 7 series, and the ride is very firm (little body roll, very planted feeling), yet is not harsh at all. That is how my icons are on the road. And the above poster is correct, the faster you drive with icons, the smoother the ride gets. That is the point behind digressive valving. At low speeds (shock shaft speed), the valving is fairly firm. At high speeds, the valving is softer. This is why you can drive it on a fairly smooth road, and it feels really planted, and then you can go out and hit some railroad tracks, or speed bumps, and it just floats over it. I used to live in New Orleans, and go home often. There you will have miles and miles of raised highways with expansion joints. With the icons, it just floats over the expansion joints, but never feels out of control at freeway speeds.

Another point to make is that over half of the "perceived harshness" in a vehicles ride is from the rear suspension. I know it sounds weird, but its absolutely true. A stiff rear suspension will have far more impact on your opinion of the ride quality than a stiff front suspension. People seem to spend money getting great coilovers for the front, and then throw budget stuff on the rear of their ride, and they dont understand why it does not ride nearly as well as their buddies ride with nice stuff all around. Spend your money on a sweet rear setup, and a good front setup. Dont buy a balls out front setup, and then throw budget stuff on the rear.

AxleIke

Adventurer
Wow, great info everyone, thank you!

Nater, that is an excellent point about the rear suspension, and I have been talking quite a bit with all of the companies about their rear options. Interestingly, all but Toytec recommend the OME rear springs, which, I conveniently have as I had them on my truck before the rear tire carrier. I swapped to FJ80 front springs, which I suspect are too stiff for my application, but provided the height I needed with the bilstein 5100's and 620 lb/in coils.

I spoke with both Icon and King yesterday. Both companies have great tech service, so I highly recommend calling either one of them if you have questions. Very helpful people.

Both companies offer 1 free re-valve for customers if desired, though the shock must come off and be shipped back to them, which is a tad inconvenient, but not the worst case scenario. In addition, revalving at home, with advice on what to do from the company, seems very doable for someone like me. Even the rebuilds look pretty straight forward, though the internal res Kings require specific piston depth before filling with new fluid.

For the Icons: The sales rep did warn me that they were stiffer than maybe I'm looking for. I was very honest about my ride, the type of driving I do, and he was very helpful. The Icon's come set up with a 650 lb/in spring, which, I believe, is what gives them that "planted" feeling that Nater described. I like the idea that the fast speed valving opens up and gives a nice ride, very much so. Planted is also good, but as I said, not really as much a priority for me.

I should add here that I broke my swaybars wheeling years ago, and haven't had them on (front or rear) for 2 or 3 years. I'm very used to lots of body lean. I am actually building extended links now that would allow me to run them again, which is going to help a lot in the handling department.

Anyway, The guy at Icon said they could revalve them, but they don't offer a lighter weight spring. However, firm, but not harsh, is good by me. Not a cadillac, but the bumps I have the most issue with are the ones on the highway (expansion joints, crack sealant, and washboards). It sounds like the Icons bring a very nice ride when hitting bumps at speed where the wheel moves very rapidly up and down. If its above 15 mph where it takes affect, that is pretty sweet actually.

I spoke at length about the VCDC valves as well. The normal, non adjustable valved shocks are set at around a 5 on the CDC shocks. So the CDC shocks give 4 settings softer than the normal, and 4 settings higher, (1-9). This is an attractive option, but, by the same token brings the cost from 1150 to 1790 for a set. Steep, but possibly worth it.

The rears can be had as monotube, remote, or remote with CDC, to match the fronts.

Now, onto the Kings. After giving a nearly identical description of my wants and desires for road and offroad manners for the truck, the guy at King said, "oh, these ride better than even stock as far as a plush ride goes on the highway." King does not offer a bolt in option with a compression control knob or resevoir for the 96-02 Runners. They will build you one, but its custom. The rear shocks come with resevoirs, and with compression adjust knobs. They come with a 600 lb/in spring, and offer a variety of other spring rates to suit. Pretty nice.

My concern with the digressively valved Icons was that in the rocks, they would go soft when dropping a ledge because of the fast travel, but talking with the tech service, it sounds like the spring more than makes up for that.

The kings, as progressively valved shocks, would not have that issue. The other possible difference that I'm not sure about is that it seems that the Kings are also location dependent. They are preloaded at 2", and that is what they recommend using within a small margin up or down. If larger changes are needed, they recommend a revalve.

By location specific, I mean that at the small travel windows that the shock sees on road (minor bumps, etc...), the shock has soft valving. Offroad, or even jumping, when the shock compresses past the window of road driving, the valving stiffens up very fast with a fast bump, but is softer with a slow speed bump, like articulating through an obstacle.

I have no idea if that is correct, I was a little fuzzy on that when I was reading about it in some posts elsewhere on the interwebs last night. Can anyone speak to that?

So, I think I'm down to the Icons or Kings. Really having a hard time with that. They come to roughly the same cost.

Go4Lo

Explorer
OP - I recently changed the front suspension set up on my '99 T4R from an OME setup (880 springs/90004 shocks) to SAW (Sway-a-Way) 2.5" Coilovers with 650lb springs and Camburg UCAs and couldn't be happier. I have an ARB bumper up front with winch and the coilovers ride great. Not stiff at all. Actually, I still have them at factory adjusted height of 2" but now that they've broken in I need to adjust them up a bit just to firm up the ride a bit.

I'm running the OME rear set up still (906 springs/OME Shocks) but in the market for a nicer set of 2.5" rear shocks to complement the front suspension. :elkgrin:

AxleIke

Adventurer
The 650 has been turning me off since I have 620's now, but it is hard for me to seperate the feel of the crappy shocks, vs the springs, vs the spring preload as far as what is actively causing my dissatisfaction.

Good to know, not really considering the SAW's right now, as I had some bad experiences with them back in the day with torsion bars on my 87. But something to keep in mind, to be sure.

deadbeat son

Explorer
I know there are many variables in play with your specific set-up, but you're in the Denver area. It seems like there should be SOMEONE local on this board who has Icons or another brand and can take you for a ride in their rig...no?

Last edited:

AxleIke

Adventurer
Do you think a 550 lb spring will be lite with an arb and winch on the front?
Seems like a pair of 2.5 kings from DSM or TAP for around $900 would be hard to beat, this is the direction i am leaning with my 2000 runner. Paired with ome rear springs and boss rear shocks to save some money compared to the king rears.
Every thing i keep reading refers to the kings having a "plush" ride both on and off road.

The 550 would be soft. Its just a matter of figuring out what the best rate is.

I found, I think, DSM, or Down South Motorsports, is that correct?

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/c-62715-all-brands-of-off-road-shocks.html

But what is TAP? The only TAP and offroad I found seems to be Trans American Auto Parts, or the parent company of 4wheel Parts. TAP itself does not actually seem to sell anything on their website. Were you thinking of something else?

EDIT: Found the TAP wholesale. No Kings. Called 4wp, and they said they could order them, but 5-6 weeks out. Hmmmm.

Last edited:

drobb

Adventurer
Yes that's correct....Call and talk to the guys at DSM...tons of info and great to work with....they also rebuild if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven