Bed ideas for the Greyhound Express?

kudzu

It's well past time for getting some elevated bed set up for the Greyhound Express. We've been camping with the bed on the floor of the van but that's a poor use of space. Here's the thing. The van gets used for hauling varying combos & amounts of gear, Greyhounds & humans. It seems most of the set ups I've seen are meant to be at least semi-permanent, but I'd like a lightweight, modular system I can get in & out of the van on my own.. (And I'm a wimpy girl, with limited upper body strength, who can't easily toss around things weighing more than 40 lbs.) I'm fine with needing tools to secure the bed frame in place. It just needs to be the kind of set up that allows me to install or remove it reasonably quickly. A wood frame means I could build it myself, but am not against getting someone to weld something up for me. Trying it in wood first might be good as a test. Could get someone to do the welding later.

Also, this is a passenger van with the rear heat & AC unit. I'd rather not strip out the rear, lower ducts, even if we won't be using them when the bed is in place. Even with the ducting on the side walls & a second row seat in place, there's just enough room in the back to have a double bed installed lengthwise, leaving storage underneath. I've no problem with the idea of pulling the plastic panels out & replacing those with something else, but it doesn't seem like we'd gain much space by doing that. Maybe I'm mistaken though. Has anyone done this? We could probably manage well without the rearmost vents, as the dogs would normally be riding more to the center & there ceiling vents can help compensate. (The rear heat & A/C is totally for the dogs.)

The idea is to have a platform in the rear, leaving floor space in front for dogs or the second row bench seat. We'd have storage under the platform but I would need to ensure nothing slides forward to where the dogs are. On some trips, like when towing a motorcycle trailer, we'd have our bed on the platform. Other trips, like when towing the camper, we'd have a modular kayak, my recumbent trike, &/or dog crates on top of the platform. Still others we may have the platform pulled out and a 3rd row bench seat instead.

Suggestions or particular threads you've seen with useful ideas? Figured it would be good to ask before actually trying to start construction.

Thanks,
Laura

FDM2012

Adventurer
Check out post #166 on my build thread. It might give you an option.

Those are early model Aerostar seats that you have multiple options with.
However, the factory seat mounts are spot welded into the frame rails. At LKQ, I have used a "saws all"
to cut pieces of the frame out and once I get them home, I have to drill out the OVER 50 spot welds on
each one, and then hammer/chisel, and cutting wheel to get them out.
Still waiting on another Aerostar to show up, so I can get the rears done.

It is not for the faint of heart, but how many of us on this site are? lol

It will be well worth it, once finished. Flush mounts and many seat options. In or out (for hauling cargo),
as benches, or a cool chaise lounge for those rainy movie days....

Just thought I would throw that out there!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The ideas that come to mind are:
1) fixed platform with storage beneath. Could be wood framed with 1/2" Baltic birch or similar plywood on top. Covered with indoor/outdoor carpet, it could look quite finished.
2) platform for bed that rises to roof she not in use. The lift could be done with linear actuators, and it would easily convert at the push of a button. The bed would stow against the roof leaving most of the van accessible.
3) "Murphy" bed that folds up to one of the sides of the van. I've been planing this I our rig... Just need to build it. When not in use it'll only take up about 8" along the wall. Ours will have a desk that folds down off the bottom for "office" use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL