Best engine and trim level to get for Subaru Outback?

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
Although we're about a year out, we're starting to research what will be my girlfriend's next car. She's been liking the looks of the Subaru Outback. We'll probably be buying used one unless we get a smoking deal on a brand new one. Most likely 2013 or newer.

This car would be our main runabout for in town and our road trip vehicle for longer trips where we don't tow or haul much (I have a crew cab pickup for that stuff). It'll also be used for short camping/fishing trips. The roads will be 80% pavement and 15% forest service roads and 5% mild offroad trails.

If she gets the Outback I'd be putting a 1.5" lift on it and better tires. Other than that, some offroad lighting and a rack system it'd be left mainly stock.

The 4cyl naturally would get better fuel economy which would be really nice, but having not driven one of these yet I dunno if the V6 would have that extra bit of juice which would be handy driving in the mountains. Looking at the numbers though, the V6 doesn't do a heck of alot better than my V8 truck...

As for trim, I've done a bit of digging and it looks like the Touring package has most options which would be nice. Still looking though.

So my questions for the Outback owners here are:

1. Which engine would you get and why?

2. Which trim level gives us the best bang for our buck?

EMrider

Explorer
The 2010-2016 outbacks with the 4cly motors are reliable and get great mileage. My 2010 has been flawless. IMHO, Subaru got the CVT right in these cars. It works very well with the boxer 4cyl.

I have no idea why anyone would prefer the 6cyl.

If I need to go faster, I just push the pedal to the floor.

I got the Limited trim because I like the comfort and technology.

Good luck choosing.

R

14subiexv

Observer
I would consider a (EJ25) 2.5L 4cyl. If taken care of, those engines can last 2-300,000 miles. Another good thing with the 2.5L is that Subaru has used that variation of that motor in many Subaru models for many years. The downside is that you may need to replace the head gaskets the same time the timming belt needs replaced.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
SO, here is my take on it

Skip the 2010-14
The CVT is garbage in them. It is a first gen unit, and if you check forums is plaguedt with noise and comfort issues
Styling leaves a bit to be desired, most arent a fan of them compared to the 2015
Eyesight is a godsend for roadtrips

do what you want, But if you are looking at a 2013, the price to a used 2015 by next year isnt that far off and you get ALOT more vehicle for the money including a much better engineered offroad drivetrain

PhulesAU

Explorer
Yesterday 11/14 the Cartalk radio show had a discussion abut this vehicle. This model and another one that looks very similar were highly thought of. main difference was interior cargo space in the rear. Sorry my pea brain can't recall the model.

OutOfBounds

Adventurer
Yesterday 11/14 the Cartalk radio show had a discussion abut this vehicle. This model and another one that looks very similar were highly thought of. main difference was interior cargo space in the rear. Sorry my pea brain can't recall the model.

Probably the Forester. The Outback has a wider stance but a lower ceiling. More cargo room lengthwise tough.

Thanks for the info so far folks. We'll look more into the 2015+ Outbacks. They should be more in our price range by the time we're ready to buy.

As for the Eyesight system...not a chance. I like to drive, I hate having systems that act like a nanny and attempt to drive the car themselves.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Yeah, except I used to say the same thing.

Adaptive cruise control stopped so much annoyances its amazing. I disable everything else. But the cruise control...its amazing

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
We have an '07, loaded to the gills 2.5L L.L. Bean Edition, black over brown leather that has served us very well for 92,000 miles. Our car is substantially lighter than the two generations that came after so I'd recommend getting the I-6 engine. Get leather, it's comfortable and easy to clean, I'd also recommend that you get all of those wonderful winter amenities that we only use on trips to Flagstaff, the heated mirrors, seats, windshield base, etc. Look for a loaded up outgoing '15 that you can deal on. The beauty of the Internet is that Subaru posts all the dealer's inventories online so you can search and find exactly wheat you're looking for.

CurtStyler

Observer
If you decide to go with a new one, shop around. I ended up saving $2500 on my 2016 2.5i Premium (no extra's just the "premium" package) by buying in another state. I probably emailed 40 dealers in all and went with the guy who gave me the best price. I got it OTD for $28350. The used models are holding their value so well I couldn't justify getting an older model with 30,000-40,000 miles when for another $3k I could get a new one. I'm happy with my choice and love this car after 1 month and 5,000 miles.

First Subaru in a Honda family, now my parents want to ditch their Civic for one as well and looking at the XV Crosstrek for my sister when she graduates.

Anyway, with the 15+ models the Premium is the midlevel trim, then the Limited is the top. I didn't want the limited because I'm not a fan of leather seats. Luckily, you can add the Eyesight system, moonroof and electronic rear gate to the Premium and get a very well kitted out vehicle.

If you can swing the 15 model year you get a much nicer interior, slightly more room, and a much more refined drivetrain.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
As an owner of two 2010's. And knowing some about the options.

#1 the all new ground up 2.5 was put in the car in 2013, Subaru has had trouble getting the low friction metal treatments to the piston sleeves vs rings right in the 13's. They also had a pressure release plate issue in the Torque converter causing them to stay locked up and stalling the car.

I went from a 2001 5spd mt 2.5 EJ to a CVT majorly updated 2.5 EJ actually bought two 2010 Legacy first load of 2010's to arrive, then a late 2010 OB. Both have been flawless not a single issue.
The OB is treated like a truck hauls the camping trailer, does dump runs etc.
The CVT is not a performance box at all but neither is the OB. The 2010-12 2.5 EJ is probably the most refined and perfected Engine Subaru had till 2013. The 2010 -12 2.5 is semi closed deck multi layer HG like the Turbo engines. Its no power house but its quite good. The 2010 and newer body style dramactically improved the weak cooling system issue with the 09 and earlier versions. That and the enlarged exhaust big improvements!!!

The CVT I'm pretty convinced the big weak spot is the torque converter not the cvt.

I would go 2010-12 or 2015-16 for the 2.5 options. The cvt is what it is, good but no performance machine. The 2.5 cvt combo easily takes the OB to its handling limits.
If your in high altitude 6000+ft all the time the old 3.6 is a rock solid engine and a good choice given the 2.5 gets pretty lethargic at 6000+ft. But for the occasional trip up the hill the 2.5 does just fine.

The cvt was the single biggest improvement made for the 2.5 regarding heading up the mountain, it keeps the 2.5 in its happy place all the time, even towing its a big improvement over even my old 5spd mt.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Probably the Forester. The Outback has a wider stance but a lower ceiling. More cargo room lengthwise tough.

Thanks for the info so far folks. We'll look more into the 2015+ Outbacks. They should be more in our price range by the time we're ready to buy.

As for the Eyesight system...not a chance. I like to drive, I hate having systems that act like a nanny and attempt to drive the car themselves.

Just keep in mind the forester sits on the impreza platform it has a much lower load rating than the OB. With kids and road trips get the OB for the bigger load hauling ability or you'll be kicking your self later.

Styer

Adventurer
go for a pre 2010 Outback. the newer ones are plagued with issues. the 2013+ with the newer 4cyl engines have oil burning issues. I had bought a brand new 2014 around thanksgiving of 2013 and it was burning a 1 quart of oil in 1400 miles. I had less than 10k miles on the engine. Traded it in after owning it for 11 months and got a brand new 4Runner and am much much happier now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk