Best tire and lift combo for general purpose exploring (Southeast)

bwestfla

I live just South of the Ocala forest and would like to explore it some and also get to some fishing holes, go to the beach, etc. No going out of my way to climb a rock or get in a mud hole. Jeep trails, sand and the occasional "I wonder if I can get past that" obstacles on a trail.

Going to buy a CJ or YJ (weekend toy) depending on what I can find, but want it to be reasonably comfortable as well for up to 2hr road trips.

Any advice? Based on what I have read, 31s and a 2 inch lift would probably be fine. Appreciate your advice.

A

AngryRedBird

The only thing I can offer, is that it's important to air down before entering the beach access or sandy area.. and make sure that you check with your state for any laws regarding what one needs to have installed on the jeep before entering and permits which tend to run about $100.00 per year, Unless you have your own beach access then you're required to invite all EP members for a cook out. :)

CJAKE7

CJAKE7
Here's my two cents. I have owned two CJ7s and a YJ. I put 31s on my YJ & 1st CJ and they were fine. My current CJ has 33s on it and now I am saving money to gear down the axels. Granted in FL. you don't have the hills, rock & mud we do in PA but it takes torque to get through deep sand. Big tires look cool but are not needed for all applications. I think your thoughts are in line with what I would recommend for your situation.

Prubah

Back in the early 90's I ran with ******** Cepek Fun Country Radials. They were amazing in the soft sand and won me many uphill dune races with the locals.(not so good in the mud. but are great in snow and are what is used on the expedition landcruisers that traverse Greenland/Iceland) They aren't made anymore in Radial. The tread pattern on the new DC Fun Country is not the same. The tread pattern on the ******** Cepek Nylon and Kevlar is the same as the old Fun Country Radial and would be my choice for sand. The radial was quiet on highway. Hoping someone can chime in on the Kevlar for you.
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/********-Cepek-Fun-Country-Nylon-Belted.htm
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/********-Cepek-Fun-Country-Kevlar-Belted.htm
Try finding something with a similar tread pattern and you'll be happy.
Mickey Thompson is said to make a good sand tire, (The Claw) But I have no experience with them. I do know that you can take any directional tire(mud tire) and flip em around for sand only and they work really well.(essentially what the Mickey Thompson Claw is. I backwards mud tire.)
Visit the site I posted and it should point you in the right direction.
Again, I only have experience on soft sand with my old DC Fun Country and my new BFGoodrish MTs. Had Geolanders and loved them on trails, but never took em out on a beach or in the sand pits.

Prubah

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would go with a small lift for some extra breakover, approach and departure angles, and then get a set of BFG AT. I run them, put them through most everything last season and they still look brand new. I have about 50k on the treads.

GFA

Adventurer
A cj on 31" duratracs will take you damn near anywhere. Good highway ride with little noise but better off-road traction than your typical all terrains. Aired down to 15-18 psi they are much better than the previous BFG AT's I had run in the sand. Expect 50k mileage life

bwestfla

Great read and thanks! Was quite relieved that a small lift and 31's will get the job done.

I like what I have read on the duratracs.

Still shopping for jeep. Will post pics onceI bring one home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitch502

Explorer
Great read and thanks! Was quite relieved that a small lift and 31's will get the job done.

I like what I have read on the duratracs.

Still shopping for jeep. Will post pics onceI bring one home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought duratracs. I haven't drove on them yet, but they look amazing. I read somewhere, probably on here, that 2" of lift and I think 31" tires are the most you should alter your suspension and tire setup. As true as I'm sure that is for driving across an African desert or doing a pan American trip, I feel like my Zj will be just fine at 5.5" of lift and the 285/85/16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz