Best Year For XJ?

pint

Adventurer
I know, most of us hate these "best of" threads as it can be very subjective. Jeeps are new to me, so I have a lot to learn. I've been driving Toyota's a long time, but just inherited a 98 Jeep GC Laredo with the inline 6 for my soon to be 16 year old. A ZJ I believe? Anyway, I've been driving it a bit and it's a pretty decent truck. However, I like the look of the XJ much better! I may be looking to buy a truck next spring. Don't want to spend much, probably $5-$7K. Can I buy a reliable DD for that and still have money to do a 2" lift and tires? Plus catch up on the likely neglected PM? Is there a "best year" or years? Are there certain options I want, axles, transfer case, etc? Any years, options, etc to watch out for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

'99 is arguably the best year, IMHO. It's the last year they used a high-pinion D30 in the front, and I'm told they used a less restrictive exhaust system. Look for one with a 231 transfer case, and a Chryco 8.25 rear axle. Also, purple ones make the best overland vehicles. :sombrero:

common understanding is that years '98, '99 are best all around models. nice trim available and you can find them with the dana 30 high pinion axle i believe.

stay away from abs equipped models because they have the dana 35 axle- those are prone to shaft breakage with larger tires and under stress. typically you will find the chrysler 8.25- distinctive flat area on bottom of circumference of diff.- which are pretty solid for most applications you may want to use the XJ for.

2 transfer cases came in the XJ-the 231 and 242. the primary difference is that the 242 has a differential in it that allows for on street usage of a selected 4hi mode- the 231 does not. i have the 242 and like it very much. different people have their opinions about this- but undeniably- you will find much greater aftermarket supposrt for the 231 in terms of sye (slip yoke eliminator) kits.

you should be able to pick one up for about 3-5k (maybe even less) depending on aftermarket upgrades and condition in those model years. you may even find one built up a bit with a coveted dana 44 (d44 was a standard in mid/late 80s XJ/Comanches). be ware that it's not an aluminum housing d44 from a ZJ/WJ.

there is heaps of info at naxja.org and i am certainly no guru. but i hope that helps.

Last edited:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
1999 if you like the newer rounded styling and the "modern" interior.

I'm partial to the coil rail ignition though - that's why I have a 2001. I was fully intending to bench build a high pinion front axle for it so the OEM low pinion axle didn't bother me since I was replacing it.

For the older style Jeeps, 1996 - the last version basically.

Any year of XJ from 1987 up is a good Jeep. Avoid the 1984 to 1986 stuff. They have junk GM engines and the engine bay sheet metal is different from the later Jeeps so it is a PITA to swap in a 4.0 (for example). Camaro 3.4 V6 is a decent option for them though. Sounds like a lot of work for little gain, eh?

As far as transfer case is concerned, 231 and 242 are both good. 242 has full-time (all wheel drive) mode, 231 does not. 231 is marginally stronger and has proper heavy duty slip yoke eliminator options. I'm partial to the 242 myself.

Try to get the ChryCo 8.25 rear axle. Plenty strong, IIRC 97 and up is 29 spline (versus 27 spline). Someone correct me on the year of transition.

As far as preventative maintenance is concerned, there is none really. This isn't a Toyota that you have to buy presents for. ;) Just change the fluids and get it back on the factory service schedule. You aren't going to be replacing head gaskets every 150k miles "just because". ;) for the record I really like the 1FZ in the 80s - I'm just being an @ss :)

What's wrong with the ZJ? Build it. It's easily as capable as the XJ.

FWIW, if I was going to start over I'd likely start with a WJ (4.7 V8 w/ 242)...

bugnout

Adventurer
NP242 Transfer case...Once you have it, you don't want to live without it. I drive from Nov to April with mine in full time 4wd. Makes my jeep unstoppable in any weather.

After market support does favor the 231. especially if your building a dedicated rock crawler or mudder.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I really like my 92. its a very simple car to work on and I like the square exterior.

I'm a pragmatist, though, so I'd welcome the upgraded interior, safety and still
uncompromising drivetrain of a 99.

hp30, chrys 8.25, np231, AW4 auto, etc...

I bought mine with 165k for $2000.00 and aside from a few simple repairs its been
100% reliable.

pint

Adventurer
Root Moose, the current 98 ZJ is going to my son when he turns 16 in Feb. Is there any particular advantage to the ZJ over an XJ? The V8 would be nice, but I like the look of the XJ much better! FYI - "his" ZJ will get a BB 2" lift and some sort of cheap30" "off road" tires soon. Probably Treadwrights. I can't stand the Cooper street tires that are on there now! It looks like something a 15 year old girl would drive!

Momrocks

Adventurer
Is there any particular advantage to the ZJ over an XJ?

The ZJ is much more plush. I am with you and like the XJ for looks, simplicity and second to none aftermarket support. Your first post asked if $5-7K will be enough, that will buy most any XJ on the road. I bought a 1999 with 70K miles two years ago for $4,000. Mine has been dead reliable and an extremely capable (part time) off-roader. It is well mannered enough on the street but very unrefined (read loud). It isn't the primary family car so I accept it's coarseness as I assume it accepts mine. I have been systematically fortifying each of its systems and thanks to a little horse trading and Craigslist I've been doing it on the cheap. One poster mentioned NAXJA, good source of info if you don't mind wading through the venom and jackassery. Our own XJmike and Stumptaco (STUMPXJ) are regular and credible posters there, so there are some good folks with good info on that site.

One bit of pre-purchase advice. Go to your local chain bookstore and buy (or read on-site) Eric Zapps book on "High Performance Jeep Cherokee XJ Builder's Guide". Many of your questions about what year is best can be answered with data comparisons, factory equipment is chronicled by the years available. Not to skip ahead without reading but I targeted 98 and 99 once I decided to buy an XJ over Trooper, Disco, Montero and ZJ.

Last edited:

pint

Adventurer
Momrocks...more great info! You mentioned loud...my ZJ seems very loud at idle? I'm used to a 2000 Landcruiser V8 that purrs like a kitten! The XJ would be used as a daily driver with probably 10% of it's time off road. No major rock crawling, just overland expo and family camping type stuff. In CO things like the Sand Dunes, Black Bear Pass, Mosquito Pass, etc.

Momrocks...more great info! You mentioned loud...my ZJ seems very loud at idle? I'm used to a 2000 Landcruiser V8 that purrs like a kitten! The XJ would be used as a daily driver with probably 10% of it's time off road. No major rock crawling, just overland expo and family camping type stuff. In CO things like the Sand Dunes, Black Bear Pass, Mosquito Pass, etc.

Then in all honesty- I'd get the kid the XJ and build the ZJ for yourself- I probably would have hurt myself with 8 cylinders at 16. Make it a project for the two of you to work on together. Just my take.

pint

Adventurer
Then in all honesty- I'd get the kid the XJ and build the ZJ for yourself- I probably would have hurt myself with 8 cylinders at 16. Make it a project for the two of you to work on together. Just my take.

No, the ZJ is not a V8. That is my Landcruiser! The ZJ has the 4L inline 6. I was just asking if other than the V8 option, are there any benefits to a ZJ over an XJ?

Xjaddiction

Observer
I've had, have both. I love the XJ looks, and the off-road prowess. The Inline six is incredible, and match it with the AW-4 auto tranny, and it's a dream off-roader. '99/ '98 best years in my book, for reasons mentioned previously. But... family trips for two, fine in XJ, for more passengers the ZJ wins. The back seat on the XJ is a joke. Very uncomfortable. I have older kids now, 11/6 y/o... They hated the XJ back seat 5 years ago... My ZJ is much nicer inside with the leather and heated seats, and plenty of room in the rear with split seats, and headrests. The V-8 is devine in the ZJ, and the 5.9L V-8 gets better gas milleage than my i-6 '92 80 series LC got... Only downside with the V-8's is the 249 full-time t-case. Easily swapped for a 231 part-time or the 242 full-time/part-time case. The XJ's are more simple, as the ZJ has a lot of computerized stuff that can be a pain.

Lifting the XJ takes a carefull build, but the unibody mounts for the control arms, are pretty good. The rear ZJ CA mounts are a joke. Something that needs to be remedied with lifts beyond a budget boost 2" lift. I'm running a 2" lift with shocks, and some 245x75x16" BFG AT KO's. Nice ride, and gets the job done with the limited off-roading I'm doing now. There is soooo much aftermarket support for both. Really, choice comes down to the back seat in this case. Do you need one?

P.S. there are Oct. built '96 XJ's in the "Classic" trim, that have the newer model engine, and drive-trane. Also the colors are the same as the '97 model year "Classics". I had a late model '96 and loved it. Great Jeep.

ColoCherokees

Observer
P.S. there are Oct. built '96 XJ's in the "Classic" trim, that have the newer model engine, and drive-trane. Also the colors are the same as the '97 model year "Classics". I had a late model '96 and loved it. Great Jeep.

Not just the "Classic" trim level, or late MY builds for the '96s. My '96 is a Sport, with the "newer" components and was built in January of '96. The few times I've needed to go to a dealer for parts, they hate me - there's no telling if the part I need is listed as a '96 or a '97 application. There's no rage like the rage a 60+ year old dealership parts guy feels, that has to get up off his stool at the counter to verify for himself that the XXXX on the Jeep parked outside really is a factory installed 1997 XXXX.

That said, my XJ's been ultra-reliable. I figure I'm benefitting from 97+ mechanical improvements, while still enjoying the older exterior/interior style (there are a few of us who do prefer the original interior, no cup holders and all).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design