Big Bend National Park and State Park November 2011

oliverlove

Adventurer
Greetings Fellow Travelers! This is my first trip report so try to cut me a little slack. My fiance and I headed out the Big Bend in west Texas for the turkey day break. We are both teachers and had 9 days off! So we loaded up the old Tacoma, with some food and the dog and took off.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

First stop as usual was Panther Junction for our back country permits and some literature.
img0271bz.jpg

I grabbed a map and guidebook for the roads and ran back out. We did run into this great camper in the parking lot and snapped a picture. We didn't realize we would be seeing it again shortly.
img0270rt.jpg

It was closing in on 6pm and we had a good drive out to our first campsite.
img0276zj.jpg

I had to stop a few times to secure items in the bed as my stock leaf springs with blown shocks weren't giving the smoothest of rides!

img0279gs.jpg

Last edited:

oliverlove

Adventurer
We were bumping along in the near dark, and having never been out in the back country before we were both getting a little bit nervous. I had failed to check the mileage when we hit Old Ore Rd. so I had no idea how far it was to the site. As dusk was setting in we found a beautiful overlook and decided this must be our site, they just didn't mark it.
img0283rt.jpg

By oliverlove at 2011-11-24

img0284w.jpg

It turns out we were less than 100 yards from our site, and were total chickens about driving in the dark. The roads are all maintained, but did I mention it was our first time?
img0294qp.jpg

My lady taking a turn in the Library. This was rather difficult for her as it was really her first time out. I have fond memories from the Boy Scouts, but for her. All new experience!

img0293rnp.jpg

Last edited:

oliverlove

Adventurer
The next morning we awoke to a great view of most of the park to the west, and had a breakfast of eggs and bacon! Melissa had not helped me pack for the trip as she was attending an A&M Football game, so it was fun surprising her!

As we bumped along Ore Rd we cam across this great example of an early house in the area. Oddly enough there was no 'For Rent' sign out front.
img0296tv.jpg

We crossed this great little wash and decided to get out and explore a bit. Ladybird our pup had a great time. (Shhh, don't tell anyone she was off her leash!)
img0301hq.jpg

Hey! There is that crazy setup again! I hope they have upgraded the shocks because that amount of weight must be a rough ride out on the roads in the Park. The bikes were missing so I assume they were off riding!
img0303vu.jpg

img0305ya.jpg

At this point we hit pavement again and headed down to the Hot Springs. Multiple members from here suggested that we visit. We did go through this great tunnel on the way down.
img0308u.jpg

We quickly found the parking area of the Hot Springs and ran into the only problem we had with people. There were too many idiots! Kids were running all over the place, no one was staying on the trails, it was a bad experience to say the least.
img0310pf.jpg

On the cliffs next to the path down to the springs were some great early mud paintings made by Native Americans. This is the only shot I got as we ran away from all the people.
img0309je.jpg

oliverlove

Adventurer
After we burned rubber away from the crowds we headed out to River Rd East and had some great 'high speed' fun running along the Rio Grande. We turned north and went up the Glen Spring Rd so I could test the truck and Melissa's nerve with the Black Gap Rd.
img0311ve.jpg

I made up some horrible story about how people die on the road every year and that the biggest obstacle was a huge gap that went down into an abyss. She didn't believe a word of it.
img0315qsb.jpg

This is the famous step that makes the trail what it is.
img0319oy.jpg

I enjoyed it, as it was quickly followed by a serious off camber section that left me touching sand a little too close to the side mirror. There is a pretty bad go around that people have created, but its obvious its not the trail.

We skipped the Mine for this trip, although I want to go back soon! Headed back down to the River Rd after running into a group that warned us about the loose sand being tricky.
img0324ot.jpg

I'm sure everyone is wondering considering the condition of Mexico and what is going on did we run into any illegal traffic. We certainly did! Turns out the park is pretty upset about it, as they push out the native critters.
img0328vl.jpg

We reached camp and set up the shower. It is my own invention, if you want to copy the idea by all means. :) Please improve on my idea, as it sucks. Ladies first of course, to try and use up all the warm water... Don't we put off by the shampoo bottle. I switched out her reg stuff with Bio-degradable without telling her!!
img0329wl.jpg

The pooch was tired after a long day of bouncing around. She decided dinner could wait, and mom and dad were being idiots outside with the 'shower' dad kept bragging about building.
img0330bs.jpg

I do love the outdoors!
img0331zz.jpg

Turns out I left the fitting that connects the propane to my big grill, so I was forced to use the backup Whisper-lite. It worked great and I remember why I bought so many years ago! 3 days cooking and less than 1/2 a bottle of fuel was used!
img0334yg.jpg

We had a feast of vegi's and fajitas for dinner.
img0335d.jpg

And it was so good we had it again for breakfast! I do love packing a little extra of everything.

oliverlove

Adventurer
I will post the rest tomorrow, as it is Thanksgiving and the family is waiting! I hope you are enjoying out little trip, as it is the first of many!

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
Good write up and pics. Waitng patiently for the......rest......of.....the......story.

We were a few weeks in front of you running about the same route. Our shower night it was about 50 degrees with a 10-15 mph breeze up in Pine Canyon. One teapot full of boiling water added to a 2.5 gallon solar shower was just about right.

I see a shower tent in your future to keep the Ms happy if you do more of these trips.

Atticus_1354

Adventurer
Looks like a good trip. I know exactly what overlook you are talking about. It really is right next to the campsite. As soon as finals are done on the 15th I am going to be right back down there myself.

flashdude

Nice trip. You drove a couple of the best roads in the park. Sorry you had a bad time at the Hot Springs. It's usually not crowded, and I seldom see kids there. Problem was you were there on a school holiday. Go back in January or February when everywhere else is frozen in. We live in Marathon, and we're there at least monthly. Never gets old. Thanks for some great pix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__