Big ol antennas...

Gutarplaya39

Hey everyone. First post here! Really enjoy reading this forum!
Have a question about mounting taller antennas on a trail rig. I'd like to install an HF rig of some sort in my Trooper, and I was thinking about installing a screwdriver antenna somehow. I was looking at the Little Tarheel as it seems the shortest, Im just worried about low hanging branches and things.
Is there some kind of spring base mount strong enough to support a screwdriver? I'm wondering how much wind resistance a screwdriver will have going down the highway.
I'll mount it on the rear so I don't put any more width on the vehicle.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Per

I am no expert in skrewdriver antennas but is it not possible to put the spring on top of the skrewdriver body at the base of the whip.

wirenut

Adventurer
Unless you really plan on transmitting on HF while driving thru the trees the easiest and safest bet is to just remove the antenna. Those things are expensive and I wouldn't want to tear one up. Something that heavy on a spring is going to have a lot of "recoil" for lack of a better term. When it gets pushed one way by a branch it will come back the other way with some good force.
I used to use Hamsticks on an 18 wheeler for mobile HF. They had a neat quick disconnect that was only 1/4 turn to remove or install an antenna.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
A buddy of mine runs a 102" steel whip with an antenna tuner for his Icom 706 in his Jeep Cherokee. Can keep it clipped down to the roof when not needed.

rambrush

Adventurer
I started out with a 102" whip. being a rookie at the time I did not have it mounted high enough. Switched to a Hi-Q screwdriver worked great but got in the way. Last week I removed screwdriver and mounted the 102" whip and AH-4 tuner to the 706mkIIg. Use https://breedlovemounts.com/ they are not a cheap radio shack unit but high quality and he makes some great folder or quick disconnect's.
So off it comes in the trees and brush, my others are all foldovers. Can not beat a one button tune for simplicity.

gary in ohio

Explorer
The 102 whip and AH4 is great as long as you dont want to 80m.. Ok on 40m and good on the other bands. It will make the SWR happy on 80m just provide very little usable RF.

I do like whips but its needs to be longer. Per specs on the AH4 you need 23ft whip/wire for a good signal on 80m... I have found that a 12-16ft will work ok...

The SGC tuners will work much better with a short whip but even then its a compromise on 80m.

Gutarplaya39

Sweet thanks for the help. I never even considered a tuned whip. I was thinking more in the range of performance with a tuned antenna, but I don't need it really while driving. I can just set up something when parked if need be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3