Black Bear & Imogene

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
I headed down with some friends from the Salt Lake City area and England/Switzerland on Satrurday afternoon when they rolled through Grand Junction on their way to the San Juans. On Sunday we headed off and did the Black Bear Pass and Imogene Pass loop before heading back to Silverton for some tri-tip cooked by Dan.

Here's some pictures from the trails.

Everyone at the trailhead
IMG_0822.JPG

Headed up towards Black Bear Pass
IMG_0832.JPG

Ryan's and my Jeep at the pass
IMG_0843.JPG

Our group at the pass
IMG_0847.JPG

Headed down to Telluride
IMG_0872.JPG

Approaching the steps
IMG_0885.JPG

Headed down the steps
IMG_0890.JPG

Last edited:

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Ingram Falls
IMG_0902.JPG

Headed down the switchbacks into Telluride
IMG_0911.JPG

View of the first switchback
IMG_0912.JPG

Bridal Veil Falls in the distance
IMG_0922.JPG

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
After making it down into Telluride, we had a quick lunch and then started up Imogene Pass

View of the Black Bear switchbacks from Imogene
IMG_0936.JPG

Social Tunnel
IMG_0943.JPG

Looking down on the Red Mountains near Imogene Pass
IMG_0969.JPG

Headed down from Imogene Pass
IMG_0985.JPG

Ryan, Rachael & Vince
IMG_0987.JPG

Crossing the creek at the end:

Rachael
IMG_1008.JPG

Vince
IMG_1009.JPG

Dave
IMG_1006.JPG

DaJudge

Explorer
Nice Randy! That is the deepest I have seen the crossing at the end/beginning (depending on your direction) of Imogene.

You've got me pumped for next weekend now!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Great shots.

Combining Black Bear and Imogene, makes for an amazing day in the San Juans. Looks like perfect 'July in Colorado' weather too.

:beer:

durango_60

Explorer
I ran Black Bear on Sunday, and returned home via Bolam. The waterfalls and wildflowers are breathtaking due to the long lasting snow and monsoon rains we are getting right now.

DarinM

Explorer
So nice...

Black Bear is one of the few roads out there I haven't driven.
With 100+ degree weather here, SW Colorado is even more tempting than usual. I'm hoping to get out there mid-September for a week or so. I'm thinking of "roughing" it with a cabin rental around Lake City and then just do day trips throughout the area.

Great pics of a beautiful area. Thanks for sharing!

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
durango_60 said:
I ran Black Bear on Sunday, and returned home via Bolam. The waterfalls and wildflowers are breathtaking due to the long lasting snow and monsoon rains we are getting right now.

what time were you there? we were there yesterday as well

durango_60

Explorer
IntrepidXJ said:
what time were you there? we were there yesterday as well

I hit the trail around 11:30. I was a lone vehicle and don't recall seeing your group, but I'm pretty antisocial and probably wouldn't have given much more the a waive and a nod...(still trying to work on that)

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
durango_60 said:
I hit the trail around 11:30. I was a lone vehicle and don't recall seeing your group, but I'm pretty antisocial and probably wouldn't have given much more the a waive and a nod...(still trying to work on that)

ok...we hit the trail about 9am and were having lunch in Telluride by noonish

paulj

Expedition Leader
Which parts of the route required low range? I expect it is comforting to have on the steps and the swtichbacks.

Any particularly rough on climb to Black Bear pass from the east?

Last time I was in the area was in the fall several years ago. I looked at Black Bear from the bottom, but camped at nearby Alta Lakes. Since the next day was quite rainy (remnants of some tropical storm), I opted to stay on pavement, making the loop through Oray to Silverton and on to Durango and Cortez.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
those pics are beautiful! that is one place I plan on hitting soon
black bear is pictured with those narrow shelf roads correct? man it looks a bit sketchy!:Wow1: dropoffs like that get the heart pounding a bit I guess!

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
durango_60 said:
...I'm pretty antisocial and probably wouldn't have given much more the a waive and a nod...(still trying to work on that)

Yeah right.

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
paulj said:
Which parts of the route required low range? I expect it is comforting to have on the steps and the swtichbacks.

Any particularly rough on climb to Black Bear pass from the east?

East side is pretty easy. I would highly recommend low range for the steps and upper switchbacks.

paulj

Expedition Leader
There was an incident several years ago in which a couple in a rental Jeep went over the side somewhere around the Steps. I didn't see any discussion in the local paper account as to whether they were in low range or not. They probably did not have much experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal