Borderland Overland to OX11– March 30 & 31, 2011

Vermejo

Adventurer
Borderland Overland: Part I

Who'd be crazy enough to meet up with someone they had never met before, at a truck stop in Southern New Mexico, for a rugged and remote trip along the US/Mexican Border? As I departed Las Cruces at 3AM bound for Lordsburg; I wondered how many of the five that had signed on for the Borderland Overland would actually show. I pulled into the Pilot truck stop 120 miles later, still under the cover of darkness, to find I had actually fooled these fearless drivers into coming. It was there I would meet a mixed bag of guys that would later be described as a “motley crew”. Possibly they had fooled me into taking them? There was Jay “Foul Mouth” from Chicago driving a Rubicon, Brad “Wilderness First Response” from Denver driving a Tacoma, John “Shaggin' Waggin” from Tennessee driving a Synchro, George “The Most Interesting Man in the World” from Quemado, NM driving a FJ Cruiser and finally Kirk “Fire Axe” from Santa Teresa, NM driving a FJ Cruiser. While some would say that your typical overlander sports a get-up similar to what a Frenchman would have worn in the mid 60's while traversing the Kalahari, our group looked better prepared for a Baja beach bar. Once the convoy was rolling, and the CB radio banter began, I quickly realized why I asked that those under the age of 18 sit this one out.

From Lordsburg, we traveled due south until the pavement ran out, deep into the “Boot Heel” of New Mexico. Dust was already beginning to settle in the valleys like fog as the Border Patrol was changing shifts; the white and green trucks were passing us on the narrow dirt roads at highway speeds. As the sun began to illuminate the grassy plains of Hidalgo County, a landscape that resembled the opening scenes of ‘No Country For Old Men' revealed itself. “Welcome to the Borderland Overland” I said over the radio as we pushed further south towards Mexico.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Nice photos & report Jake. Good to meet you and your motley crew at Parker Canyon Lake.

I too was amazed at all the BP trucks seen everywhere. When I went through Sonita there were probably 100 BP trucks just parked during working hours... I had to wonder why.

Alan

Vermejo

Adventurer
Nice photos & report Jake. Good to meet you and your motley crew at Parker Canyon Lake.

I too was amazed at all the BP trucks seen everywhere. When I went through Sonita there were probably 100 BP trucks just parked during working hours... I had to wonder why.

Alan

Hey Ace! Glad you could join us at Parker Canyon Lake. Brad and you too will join the "motley crew" shortly as this story unfolds. We appreciated you bailing us out of jail. ;)

Oh, you're that guy! :sombrero:
I was one of the fellas with Mr. Leary that stopped you on the dirt road in New Mexico.

I must have missed you somehow. I remember meeting Mr. Leary & Jacque. Hope you guys enjoyed your trip.

Vermejo

Adventurer
Borderland Overland: Invite

For those that missed the official Borderland Overland invite and trip planning thread, details as follows:

Looking to go the road less traveled to Overland Expo 2011? New Mexico Backroads will be guiding a two day adventure that will traverse some of the regions’ loneliest roads. Scenery along the Borderland Overland route will include desert, grasslands and forest. Nearly two thirds of the route will be comprised of dirt roads, including the Geronimo Trail and Coronado Scenic Byway. Wednesday night camp will be at Parker Canyon Lake; a beautiful backdrop for relaxing around the campfire.

Who: A few good overlanders. Limited to participants of Overland Expo 2011 (Day Pass or Overland Experience) seeking an overland route to OX11. Only the most self-sufficient, open-minded & good spirited overlanders need apply
What: A fast paced 260-mile overland adventure through the Borderland to the Overland Expo. Nearly two thirds of the route will be dirt!
Where: Southern New Mexico & Southern Arizona (Lordsburg, NM to Amado, AZ)
When: Wednesday, March 30th & Thursday, March 31st, 2011

For those that make the trip; I can almost guarantee they will arrive at the Overland Expo with dirty rigs, big smiles and stories that will make their fellow overlanders envious.

Schedule & Route:
Day 1- Wednesday, March 30 (180 Miles)
-Group meets at Pilot Truck Stop (1050 East Motel Drive) in Lordsburg, NM. Meeting and briefing will be at 5:30AM, departure will be promptly at 6:00AM.
-Lunch and refuel in Douglas
-Early Evening arrival for camp at Parker Canyon Lake
A) DEPARTURE- Lordsburg, NM B) Animas, NM C) Geronimo Trail, NM/AZ D) Douglas, AZ E) Montezuma Canyon Road, AZ F) CAMP Parker Canyon Lake, AZ
Day 2- Thursday, March 31 (80 Miles)
-Depart Parker Canyon Lake at 8AM
-Lunch Patagonia Mountains
-Early Afternoon Arrival at Overland Expo
G) Sunnyside Road, AZ H) Lochiel, AZ I) Patagonia, AZ J) Forest Service Road-143/Bull Springs Road, AZ K) ARRIVAL- Overland Expo, Amado, AZ

Requirements:
Experienced Driver, Reliable 4WD Overlanding Vehicle, Toyota (just kidding), CB Radio, All Terrain Tires (70% tread or better), Spare Tire (same size as the four on the ground), Camping Provisions, Food, Water, Extra Fuel (optional), Tire Repair Kit, Tool Kit, First Aid Kit, Fire Extinguisher

Details:
Lordsburg, the meeting point, is located approximately 2.5 hours east of Tucson and 2.5 hours west of El Paso. For those traveling a long distance to Lordsburg, a Tuesday night motel or campsite stay near Lordsburg is recommended. Wednesday night camp will be at Parker Canyon Lake, AZ. Basic bathroom facilities and water are provided (this is a pay per site campground). Fuel will be available in Douglas, Bisbee and Patagonia. For those interested in researching the Borderland Overland route, I recommend purchasing the New Mexico & Arizona Delorme Atlas Books.
Because a large amount of land will be covered in a relatively short period of time, the trip will be fast paced. All departure times will be firm. The Borderland Overland route will traverse long and remote stretches parallel to the US/Mexican Border. While the areas we will be traveling are statistically safe, dangerous illegal activities and border violence are ever-present. Drivers and passengers alike will need to be aware of their surroundings at all times. Cell phone service, as well as any other type of service, will be limited throughout the entire trip. This trip is limited to participants of Overland Expo 2011 (Day Pass or Overland Experience). No one under the age of 18, please.

***Only the most self-sufficient, open-minded & good spirited overlanders need apply***

All travel distances and times are approximate. The Borderland route may be subject to change due to time constraints, bad weather, road closures, or poor road conditions.

(LIMIT 8 VEHICLES)

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I think you guys were the only folks we saw until the flatlands coming out of the Geronimo Trail except BP.

It was great to meet you and the "Motley Crew." Maybe next year I can check out that route y'all took to the south where we turned to the north.

Vermejo

Adventurer
I think you guys were the only folks we saw until the flatlands coming out of the Geronimo Trail except BP.

It was great to meet you and the "Motley Crew." Maybe next year I can check out that route y'all took to the south where we turned to the north.

Great to meet you too. See you on the trail. :sombrero:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Cross posting to get into the trip report thread. :sombrero:

I met up with the "motley crew" at Parker Canyon Lake and drove in with them to Armado on Thursday. A great group and a fun drive. :wings:

Some pics of our trip.

1236627712_AgMqv-XL.jpg

1236634549_nnEzk-XL.jpg

1236729096_jpnHH-XL.jpg

1236635511_jSYj2-XL-1.jpg

1236642802_Trgp6-XL.jpg

1236646719_RWn4x-XL.jpg

1236650932_4oyPf-XL.jpg

1236653552_hpFLM-XL.jpg

1236655532_ug6oR-XL.jpg

The rest of my photos of the trip can be seen here: http://bgarland.smugmug.com/Camping-Trips/Patagonia-4X4/16438207_jaZii

Vermejo

Adventurer
Thanks for posting your pics, Brad. Glad you could join us. :sombrero:

I'm thinking you need to bring a bigger gun next time.

NorCalLC

Adventurer
I love your photos, trip planning etc. The pics remind me of my life in NM from 1975-85 and all the trips I took with my father hunting, trapping, and cutting firewood. I wish I had photos and videos from my many years there.

Thanks for the write up, cool trip.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Here's a couple more from Parker Canyon Lake while Ace and I were waiting for the motley crew to arrive.

1243887643_mFPqA-XL-6.jpg

1236657673_2NwwT-XL.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Thanks, only PP was to try to bring out more of the reflection off the lake which did not turn out the way I wanted. Lesson learned, next time I'll take the exposure with higher ISO to pick up the lake reflection. :sombrero:

The horizon clouds were lit up by the city lights of Nogales, Arizona in the distance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven