Camp chair for packing into a suitcase?

katuah

Adventurer
Hi all;

This year we are flying to our spring break destination area, and thus we have to pack all our camping gear into suitcases for checked baggage. Sleeping bags are already small, we have a backpacking tent & stove/cooking gear and a soft-sided cooler, but we are stuck on what to do for chairs. Those flat pads with straps are just silly, but we can't seem to settle on the best option otherwise. Since I have to CHECK BAGS (augh) I dont want to spend a fortune. I'm reading thru the VERY LONG "Great Camp Chair Debate" thread now but much of it isnt relevant to my current dilemma. Ideas?

thefishhawk

Adventurer
Walmart when you get there. I'd do the same thing on the cooler front, those styrofoam ones are fine for a week. Donate or give them to someone as a tip on your way back.

spikemd

Explorer
PICO chairs are great and fold up small. Be sure you learn how to open and close them first and don't force anything. It isn't difficult, but you need to know the correct order and extend the legs all the way before you try to open it up. Have had mine for 5 years and they are comfortable and convenient. Great chairs for camping.

I also have the Alite Mantis and Mayfly chairs. Rollup really small and are comfortable. Mantis sits a bit higher off the ground and the Mayfly is a perfect beach chair. For luggage, they might be the best. REI also makes a similar fold up chair that is a bit cheaper.

PICO: http://www.amazon.com/GCI-Outdoor-P...TF8&qid=1458000314&sr=8-1&keywords=pico+chair

SnoViking

Adventurer
We have a few of the Alite camps chairs and really like them. My wife complained about the 2 legged Monarch version so she got upgraded to the Bison! If should last her a few centuries the way the thing is built.

THATSALEXUS?

Adventurer
One more vote for Helinox. There may be something more comfortable now as we've had ours for about a year and a half, but at the time, they were the most comfortable, especially in the shoulder area. Most of the ultralight chairs really dig into your shoulders, or at least mine...

justrom

Adventurer
I'd check out a Helinox as well, my friend carried one with her when she traveled for business. It packed/rolled small and she found it comfortable, though low to the ground for sitting to work on her computer while she was on project sites. Stop into your local REI and check one out.

I have both the Front Runner and the Pico chairs. They fold pretty flat, but they are heavy and still approx 20"x20" and 2" thick. Nice in the truck, but I wouldn't fly with them.

Last edited:

PKayser

I'll second the Kermit chair. Very popular with the motorcycle touring crowd because of how small they pack. Use without the leg extensions when relaxing around the camp site. Pop on the extensions and you have a comfortable near full size chair for sitting at a table. I keep two in the back of my Jeep and find that my wife and I use them all the time. Beats the bleachers at my daughters track meets by a long shot.

Last edited:

JD914

Observer
I second the "buy at discount store when you land and leave it afterward option." By far the cheapest and easiest route so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl