Camp Kitchen for the 2005 Tacoma

Stocky Taco

I recently retired the beaten up plastic bins we used for all our camping gear and built a couple wooden cabinets for our new Camp Kitchen. Each cabinet is approx 20″x42″; designed to fit perfectly under the sleeping deck I built in the bed of the Tacoma. With this design we can setup our kitchen on the tailgate, a campsite picnic table or on the folding table we pack around. The goal was to be neat, organized, versatile and easy to setup.

They’re 3/4″ plywood construction with dato jointery. Each cabinet has space for 3 drawers for all our camping goodies. The drawers are sized to match our Coleman dual fuel camp stove, so that it fits perfectly inside the cabinet for storage too. The drawer latches are just bolt latches going into a 1/2″ hole I drilled into the bottom of the counter-top. I plan to upgrade these latches in the future to something a little more comfortable to pull.

I opted against any drawer hardware / glides for the space they consumed, so I cut channels in the bottom of the cabinets for the tabs on the bottom of the drawers. They may not be the smoothest sliding drawers, but hey – it’s just a camp kitchen. I’m sure some wax will make a big improvement, once I get around to it.

To personalize the kitchen we picked a bunch of personal photos of family, friends, etc. and glued them to the counter-top. This was followed by an epoxy pour-on bar-top that makes it water and temperature resistant. The rest of the wood got a coat of Thompsen’s Water Seal.

Kitchen 1.jpg Kitchen 2.jpg Kitchen 3.jpg Kitchen 4.jpg Kitchen 5.jpg Kitchen 6.jpg Kitchen 7.jpg Kitchen 8.jpg Kitchen 9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl