Can I mount trailer brakes clocked 90 degrees?

hurc85

I'm finished up my M-416 rebuild (build thread pending) and took it on a couple trips. I used the Timbren axle less system which is a awesome so far, but I needed to switch the spindle from the normal height spindle to the lifted spindle because the extra wheel travel I gained from the axle less suspension let the tire hit the fenders on big bumps. The brake assembly I'm using has an integrated emergency brake linkage integrated into the brake so I can reuse the original M-416 hand brake system once I get into camp to keep the trailer stationary. The linkage sticks out the back of the brake assembly and interferes with the new spindle so I cannot mount the brakes with the new spindle. That's a long intro to ask: Is there a reason I can't clock the brakes 90 degrees when mounting them, so the magnet is in the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position instead of at the bottom of the brake in the 6 o'clock? I searched for quite a while last night, but the only response I found was that the brakes wouldn't work as well with the magnet in any position other than the 6 o'clock position and no one ever gave a reason. So I figured I'd present this here and see what the collective wisdom in this forum has to say about the matter, I have high hopes as my build can pretty much be summed as a greatest hits of the ideas in many of the build threads on here. Thanks

Corey

hurc85

Yeah I mounted them up last night after my search turned up no real info. So right now they're clocked so the magnet is in the 9 o'clock position. I figure I'll be a test dummy and report back how it goes. If anyone has any insight into this I'll take it as stabbing around in the dark is fun, but its good to have some real wisdom too.

Tkhawk

Adventurer
The only reason I could think of is in the 3 or 9 o'clock position gravity is pulling down on the brake shoes which will apply a very very light braking force. You won't be able to feel it but the life of the pad will probably be affected.

Lionsgarage

Scoutfollower
Gravity pulling on the "Magnet" is only probable issue, but then I think the shoe return springs will oppose any application of the brakes.
I say go for it, but protect the wires leaving the backing plate, mounting them upright seems to put the wires further out of harms way.
FYI

AllTerrainJK

Weekend Warrior
I'm finished up my M-416 rebuild (build thread pending) and took it on a couple trips. I used the Timbren axle less system which is a awesome so far, but I needed to switch the spindle from the normal height spindle to the lifted spindle because the extra wheel travel I gained from the axle less suspension let the tire hit the fenders on big bumps. The brake assembly I'm using has an integrated emergency brake linkage integrated into the brake so I can reuse the original M-416 hand brake system once I get into camp to keep the trailer stationary. The linkage sticks out the back of the brake assembly and interferes with the new spindle so I cannot mount the brakes with the new spindle. That's a long intro to ask: Is there a reason I can't clock the brakes 90 degrees when mounting them, so the magnet is in the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock position instead of at the bottom of the brake in the 6 o'clock? I searched for quite a while last night, but the only response I found was that the brakes wouldn't work as well with the magnet in any position other than the 6 o'clock position and no one ever gave a reason. So I figured I'd present this here and see what the collective wisdom in this forum has to say about the matter, I have high hopes as my build can pretty much be summed as a greatest hits of the ideas in many of the build threads on here. Thanks

Corey

How did this work out for you? I'm having the exact same issue on my M116a3. I converted to the Timbren suspension with 4" lift and parking brake lever won't clear the spindle casting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77