canoe lashing

BigAl

Expedition Leader
What kind of mods have you guys seen or done to add lashing to a canoe. Mine has a molded in plastic center seat that I could ratched strap stuff to but I'm looking for something more custom. Rivited D rings look promising but my boat is all plastic (Mad river adventure)? I'm not sure I'd trust the epoxy and velcro products?

mnfeo2

Adventurer
As long as you prep the surface and get the right kind of epoxy, it can be nice and strong. Or you could use the rivets, just be sure to the biggest washers you can get as a backing.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Polyethylene is tough to glue to. I'd consider lash down points screwed or riveted at the gunwales which would allow you to lace from side to side. It's not as good as tying things down to the bottom of the boat but it's better than nothing. I like the stainless loops with two holes for pop riveting or screwing.
Some years ago I recall polyethylene kayak companies were selling a glue for the material but I don't know how reliable it was.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Mad River says nothing sticks well to polyethylene, though some cracks can be welded. I suspect straps to the seats and internal bracing is your best option.

However, this G/flex Epoxy may work
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product...._source=searchengines&utm_term=SLI_Abs Canoes

That G/Flex does look promising. For tie downs using epoxy, I take 1" polyester webbing, about 8 inches long, remove the weave from each end about 2" so it is left with long strands and just wet out those strands with epoxy onto the bottom of the canoe.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
No epoxy will stick permanently poy is just low energy and flexible to accept a bond. Your best bet is to add the deck eyes off kayaks to the cup holders down low. This way you can tie down toward the bottom of the canoe. You can add them to the inside of the coaming as wel to anchor is storage bags for easy access items. Since clipping anything to deck eyes is difficult I recommend using a 5 mm rope through the eye one side tied ina bowline the other as a stopper. This gives you a nice flexible tie down point. Make sure you use flat washer on the back side of the rivets or they can pull through I do not recommend going through the hull but if you do use a stainless bolt and stop nut with lexel as a sealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3