Canopy removal

Adv.north

I have built a touring vehicle out of my 2019 power wagon but need to use my flat deck while out hunting this fall. Right now I remove the living section with my shop crane but would like the ability to remove it in the field.
Something like what a slide in truck box uses for the 4 corner jacks but I want to do it cheap. Any suggestions on where to get long leg weld on cable jacks or what have you?

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
It appears you already have jack pockets in your canopy.

Screenshot_2024-05-05-09-44-57~2.png
Screenshot_2024-05-05-09-44-45~2.png

They are meant for something like this:
Screenshot_2024-05-05-09-50-07~2.png

I would contact the manufacturer or dealer (Norweld et al) and see if they can provide. Otherwise not a hard fab job. I'd do it with hex bolt heads on the jacks so you can use a drill. Most jacks use a 1/2" shaft for the hand crank. You can mod it with a 1/2" bolt with a hex head for use with a drill.

I'm building something like this for my large ARE flatbed shell. It doesn't have the pockets so I'm making out of 2" flat mount receivers. Really heavy but it'll do the job. I'll take some pics.

Adv.north

It appears you already have jack pockets in your canopy.

View attachment 833186
View attachment 833187

They are meant for something like this:
View attachment 833188

I would contact the manufacturer or dealer (Norweld et al) and see if they can provide. Otherwise not a hard fab job. I'd do it with hex bolt heads on the jacks so you can use a drill. Most jacks use a 1/2" shaft for the hand crank. You can mod it with a 1/2" bolt with a hex head for use with a drill.

I'm building something like this for my large ARE flatbed shell. It doesn't have the pockets so I'm making out of 2" flat mount receivers. Really heavy but it'll do the job. I'll take some pics.
The manufacture is here in Canada. Company called summit Expedition Trucks. Problem is that I have spent so much already that I kinda wanT to build something myself. Leaves more money for gas. Do you know of a place to order the screw type jacks? That's exactly what I am looking for.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
The manufacture is here in Canada. Company called summit Expedition Trucks. Problem is that I have spent so much already that I kinda wanT to build something myself. Leaves more money for gas. Do you know of a place to order the screw type jacks? That's exactly what I am looking for.

I'll upload some pix in a bit. How big are the jack mount holes on the canopy? And can you weld? Doesn't matter much it just means bolts and drills instead of a welder.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Here's what I did. I bought four 2 inch receivers that are meant to attach to square bumpers on RVs. I bought 2 inch extensions and mounted them to my trailer jacks. They are a brand called "Ram" and they have a 2" hitch tube on the heads. The jacks are rated for 5k lbs. I pulled the crank handles, drilled pin holes in 1/2" bolts and installed them in the crank head so I can use my drill driver to raise and lower. Works great. I can use the canopy on my flatbed trailer or on my truck flatbed.

1000011109.jpg

1000011110.jpg

1000011113.jpg

1000011114.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger