Carrying a canoe

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Getting a free Canoe from one of the guys I work with. Only problem is carrying it on the truck. I have a 2005 F150 supercab and I'm going to be putting a platform on the bed and a RTT simular to Expeditions West Taco. Looking for ideas on the best way to carry it.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
They have canoe racks that slide into a receiver... You could use that to hold the back, and lay the front on the cab. Should put it at a height above the tent, and as a bonus, makes it easier to load/unload by yourself.

On Amazon [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weston-Universal-One-Man-Canoe-Loader/dp/B001D1GXEC/ref=pd_sbs_sg_4"]here...[/ame]

-

kerry

Expedition Leader
Friend of mine has one of those receiver racks on his F-150. Sturdier than the one linked on Amazon and it's wide enough for 2 canoes. It's still floppy in my opinion. I carry canoes on top of my Texson pop up camper. I wouldn't want to have to remove the canoe before setting up camp. A pain in the neck. At least the rack linked at Amazon, by turning, would allow you to leave one end of the canoe tied to that rack.

S

Squatchout

Another option is a small trailer. I have a jet ski trailer I bought used and put a longer tongue on it. It carries my canoes including the 174 tandem. Also yaks and a 12' jon on occasion.
P5170036Small.jpg

P7250006Small.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk